2003 Mazda Mazda6 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda6 model:
Time to Start Worrying?
By Hmmmm...... on 10/25/05 23:29 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Just replaced the starter today, at 30K miles. Strange "whirring" sound after cranking was my tipoff that something was amiss. Luckily, I haven't had any of the brake problems encountered by many on this site. My other big concern since owning this car has been intermittent problems with hesitation upon releasing the clutch, especially into second gear, when turning a corner. It seems like either my clutch is slipping, or my power is dropping precipitously. And of course, the dealer can never re-enact it when they have it (tends to be worse when the car is cold).

Fun to dirve
By Jay Park on 10/20/05 02:02 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 i 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought it at the dealership without test driving since I rented one before while my day-to-day-driving Honda Pilot was at the shop for repair from a collision. I drove it down to LA from SF Bay Area and kinda like the automatic transmission that can also be in manual mode. By the way, the one that I bought was Mazda6 i SP for better gas mileage. I tend to get around 26 to 27 in city and hwy combined. Significant reviews from this site noted problems on brake and transmission and I kinda worry about it if mine starts with same problem like others. So far so good. Who knows.

value purchase, zoomer appeal
By mr. tom on 10/12/05 22:09 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

10/05: V-6 22,000 miles. Maintenance rating: very good. Automatic. Sport sedan is quite smooth but tiptronic-style shift is somewhat jerky; but useful and desired. Some noise on wide-profile sport tires; good brakes, excellent steering. Mileage 23 city/27 hwy. Best ergonomics, handling of this class car and many of higher cost ones I have tried. Leather interior hard, resilient. No BMW but a delightful purchase. Buy again? Likely.

Solid sedan
By Ryan Johann on 10/05/05 23:00 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

For the sports enthusiast who is looking for a car that is not going to drive your insurance up the roof, this is your car. They call this a "family sedan" but this car is every bit of a sports car. With 220 horsepower it is fun to drive, the Bose speakers with the 8" subwoofer in the back is very powerful and fun, the traction control is great in the snow and rain, and the trunk space is huge considering the size of the car. The paint on this car is amazing in that you never have to wax it, it always looks glossy and new.

Great
By Stark on 08/19/05 21:23 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I got my car in June and i love it. I would rather not have any other car. My experience with the Mazda6 has been incredible and I expect it to get even better. So if you want a magnificent ride then get a Mazda6.

BAD BRAKES! 8 ROTOR CHANGES IN 40K MILES
By Paula on 08/19/05 01:03 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased this car in April of '03, and within 5000 miles, the rotors were shot, The dealership tried to say I drove the car hard. NOT! The next time I brought it in they tried to say don't drive it through a carwash!? That means you can't drive it in the rain! Hello? I had a Mazda Protege before this and the brakes lasted 80K without new pads or even the rotors being turned. It now has 43,500 miles, and I have had 8 (YES 8) rotor changes in 40k miles. They can't seem to fix the brakes. Now the booster pump went bad on the last change, and the booster pump is grinding AGAIN! I guess I got a LEMON! The car has otherwise been okay but the brake problems are frustrating.

Don't buy a Mazda 6
By Rome on 07/06/05 20:32 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 i 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my car 2 years ago. I bought it brand new. What I find so irritating is that I cannot go to my local auto parts store and purchase an oil filter nor can I go to lube place and get it changed. I have to drive 20 miles to get my oil changed at the dealership and I find that annoying. My clutch gave out on me at 40k. I ended up paying $1,400 in repairs. My first car was Saturn and the clutch has not given out as of yet. The mechanic did a horrible job, now it is leaking fluid. I feel that I was horribly ripped off on the quality and I cannot even go to my local auto shop and buy parts for preventative maintenance. I am FORCED to go to the dealership for parts and it stinks.

my nightmare
By mj on 06/26/05 23:32 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Several recalls which is normal for a new model. Had 13,000 miles on car and smoke started coming from exhaust pipes upon start up. Smelled like transmission was burning up. Been back to the dealer 5 times. First I was told I may have picked up plastic bag. Dealer can't find problem. It now developed coolant leak and Mazda suggested they replace radiator. Smoking occurs every 5 to 6 weeks and only once on initial start up. Anyone have a problem like this?

ZOOM ZOOM I LOVE MY MZ6
By JOHN GOODMAN on 06/22/05 13:25 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased this car after 5 wonderful years in a Miata. I was shocked at how well it performed. My wife started to drive it infrequently, but loved it, so she took it away from me. I went back to the dealership and leased one for me -- a 5 speed straight geared one. I love it too.

Best Car!
By Cathy on 06/14/05 13:19 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 i 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Love this car. Fun to drive, very comfortable, roomy back seat, HUGE cargo capacity with rear seats folded down. Best car I've ever owned!