Used 2003 Mazda 6 Consumer Reviews - 507 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 6 model:

All in all, a great car
By kyjd75

2003 Mazda 6 s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car shortly after it was introduced in its first model year. I expected some problems, and I was not disappointed. However, Mazda USA took care of all of them at no cost to me. The car has since proven to be a reliable performer with great handling, smooth ride, and good looks. Its fuel economy is only fair, and the road noise at speed is noticeable, but the car drives so well, you don't mind. With Michelin tires, it is smooth as silk, and is extremely stable at triple digit speeds. It is definitely a drivers car. We have the leather interior, and it is holding up well. If handling and overall good driving experience is important to you, then this is a car to consider.

Great handling! The closest feel to a BMW of any car I've driver other than a BMW. Nice interior, heated seats, strong brakes.

More horse power. The engine is not up to the handling. Maybe a little less road noise at high speeds.

Best sedan for the money
By ATL Mazda 6i

2003 Mazda 6 i 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I got my 2003 6i with 33K on it fresh off a 3 year lease. I have had only 1 problem in the last 35K miles and that was a noisy drive belt idler. I replaced that and have not had any other issues. The car is easy to work on and easy to own. The only heartburn I have with the car is the turning radius, it's awful. Other than that I love it. 30MPG combined hwy and city.

Sporty looks (spoiler, ground effects, alloy wheels). Great gas mileage and reliability.

Better turning radius.

Zoom-zoom! It really comes down to value
By Zoomnbyu

2003 Mazda 6 s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've had my 6s for almost five years and 67000 mostly trouble free miles. I won't lie and say that I never had the car to the dealer for repairs. My warranty file is pretty thick. However, most of any of my original concerns with this car that were repaired under warranty never recurred. Being that I bought a first year car, I chalk that up to working out the bugs. This car has always been extremely fun to drive. That's why I bought it. It will always bring a smile to your face when the corners begin to fill your windshield! Build quality is average. Reliability has been good. I will be passing this car down in eighteen months to my son who will be heading to college.

Overall handling balance!

A 6th gear for better fuel economy.

Can't Beat a Mazda
By MazdaFan

2003 Mazda 6 i 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Holds up to the roughest of treatments and keeps on going. I drive in incredibly difficult traffic situations when timing and skill are important. Hit the gas and it goes. Stops on a dime in all kinds of weather. Repair costs are minimal and the dealerships are impeccable. Cars are a necessary evil for me. Mazda is low cost and low maintenance kicks but when you hit the gas. I've owned the Mazda Protege orginally and now the Mazda6 have never been disappointed. The Protege went 178,000 miles before I sold it and I expect this one to go as far! BTW, the only major repair on the Protege in 178k mi was the exhaust pipe. Wahoo!

All the accessories you get that Toyota and Honda charge you for. Handles incredibly on turns.

Better gas mileage (Mazda6 is 27 in traffic, 30 highway).

2003 Mazda 6
By Craig Rintoul

2003 Mazda 6 s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Great experience, had the car 4 years and not had a single mechanical issue. The 6s is a great car for long distance drives or around the city. It has the punch to get you around whatever situation presents itself but comfortable ride with excellent driver sear configuration.

With the configuration of the steering wheel controls, I can do everything I need on a long journey with the minimum of effort. With hand controls I can accelerate on cruise and have complete control of the stereo (not just the vol) not just stick the wipers on.

Having separate climate control for front passengers.