Used 2003 Mazda Mazda6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Mazda6 model:

my mazda 6
By tk's car

2003 Mazda Mazda6 i 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

car handles great & when you are on the highway you cannot tell you are moving that fast & this is with a 4 cyl

Favorite Features

the red instrument panel at night & great sound system

Suggested Improvements

antilock brakes & side airbags should be standard

check engine light problems
By Mr. Lemon Law

2003 Mazda Mazda6 i 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This car came off the line in early April. I've put 4500 miles on it but it's now in the shop for the third time for the same problem: Check Engine Light. The first time, it was a leaky fuel vapor pump soaking a charcoal cannister. The second time, it was a 'phantom' fuel vacuum leak fault so they downloaded an upgraded Control Program from Mazda. The third time, it's the 'phantom' fuel vacuum leak and they don't know what to do about it. Meanwhile, I'm driving a crappy rental. Several other new owners seem to be having similar problems. I would be happy with this car if it worked like it's supposed to but right now I'm contemplating invoking the Lemon Law.

Favorite Features

Nice torque above 3000 RPMs. Nice handling.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the stupid check engine light problems!

A few quirks...
By emp812

2003 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Since I took the last one in my area there were a few snags that I discovered after I took it home. First, the A/C blows air on the windshield from the inside defrost vent CONSTANTLY. That means if you live in a humid climate, you will have fog buildup. Mazda is playing dumb and doesn’t have a fix yet. It can get to a point where this fog is blocking the drivers view. Second, the passenger seat squeaks when you press on the side cushion. Last, the entire center consol below the radio was scratched to hell. They did replace it after a 2-week part order and 3 trips to the dealer. So be very careful when cleaning and inspect closely when test-driving.

Favorite Features

Red LED displays, smooth power of the V6, sport grille, and handling.

Suggested Improvements

Fixed A/C vents, separated fog light option, and no more 1-piece radio/center console cover (after market radio lovers beware!!). Read all the forums for info and problems (www.mazda6forum.com).

Six Appeal
By Fun2Run

2003 Mazda Mazda6 i 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

We're on our 3rd Mazda. We don't mean to buy them, we just do it for the value. We own an '01 Tribute. Love it. Owned a '95 Protege. It refused to quit. I traded it on the 6. Test drove it 3x. Twice with the the 6 cyl, once with the 4. Bought the 4 . It's adequate & mileage is great. Superb handler. Best brakes ever. I also own an '02 Altima 3.5 (which is like a rocket ship). I love the Nissan on take-off and re-entry, but on the road, the Mazda 6 is more fun to drive. While the 0% deal + rebates are on, it's too cheap to pass up. Test drive one on a winding road. You may never take it back to the dealer. It's that good.

Favorite Features

Effortless handling, braking, driving position (get the leather package), huge trunk, solid build, good curb appeal, the 4 speed AT transmission, and frigid A/C.

Suggested Improvements

Standard sound system is just OK. Make the sport package dash standard. The "Check Engine" light comes on for several non-critical reasons. Why?

zoom-zoomer
By Budda Boy

2003 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I was looking for a sedan that has the punch of a Maxima, but without having to pay for all the features that would break the bank if we would have bought the Maxima. Aafter so many people gave this car a positive feedback, i couldn't go wrong. After test driving the 6S i was very satisfied of its performance. My wife and I was so happy with the car we bought it.

Favorite Features

Nice handling and accel. on the freeway. Stero and Cruise control on the steering wheel is a nice touch.

Suggested Improvements

Only has 150mi. on it so far with no problems or issue of any sort.