Used 2003 Mazda Mazda6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mazda Mazda6 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda6 model:

V6 Automatic - This Car Is Awesome!!!!!
By JoeG

2003 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

When I began my search for a new car I had a few requirements. (6 Cylinder, Silver,Sporty,220 or > horsepower, Sunroof and Spoiler,and Nice Stereo System. I looked at the Altima and Maxima and the Acura TSX. Couldn't find a 2003 3.5 SE Altima in Silver and Maxima and Acura was over my price range. I did some more research on edmunds.com (awesome website) and stumbled upon the Mazda 6. It was fate. I love this car. Great looks, nice ride, and everything I wanted. If you're looking for a car with the best of both worlds for a reasonable price, buy this car.

Favorite Features

Leather Seats Silver Sunroof Traction Control 17" Alloy 220 HP Bose 6 Disc Stereo Fog Lights Manumode Spoiler Lot's of room etc..etc..etc..

Suggested Improvements

Blue lights instead of orange AWD HD Lights

Great Sports Sedan for the Money
By D. Roberts

2003 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love my 6. I have a 6s MT sport package fully loaded. The car looks great. This is the best front wheel drive car I have driven. The car is fun to drive, much more fun to drive than the alternatives in its price range. If you want a cushy couch on wheels, find a Camary or Accord. The 6 rides a little harder than some of the other's in its class and operates with a feel for the road. Drivers of Camarys or Accords tend to like to feel removed from the road like they are in the living room watching TV. This is not the car for that, rather one made for folks who like to DRIVE. I have had no trouble with my 6 in 9k miles.

Favorite Features

The combination of power and control. This is a VERY balanced car in terms of engine and suspension dynamic. Sure the Altima is faster, but would be in a ditch trying to hold the road while using that power. I shold know, the Altima finished 2nd (didn't buy) on my shopping list.

Suggested Improvements

Marketing! No one knows a thing about this car. Mazda doesn't have this car on TV enough. Market the sport model AND the non sport. This car is a very well kept secret excet for with educated consumers who don't get in the "CAMARY AND ACCORD" follow the sheep line.

Definitely Zoom-Zoom
By PWonger

2003 Mazda Mazda6 i 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. It is just plain fun. The 4 cylinder lacks slightly on the acceleration, but makes up for it in the handling and the steering. The car comes with an eye catching design that would leave many people starring in the parking lot. If you are in the market, definitely consider this car.

Favorite Features

I love the exterior and the interior. Better than any other in its class.

Suggested Improvements

Beefing up the engine would be nice. But I am okay w/160 horses.

Don't miss the 97 Merc Tracer
By Jacobee

2003 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased the 6 after originally looking at a Protege/Protege5. Decided we liked the increased room and power in the 6 instead. The car has plenty of power and handling to match. Originally interested in a 6i manual but due to lack of cars with desired options (ABS and side air-bags) in 6i trim upgraded to 6s manual. This is the first car I've anticipated since before its release and am glad went with the 6 over the Protege/5. Quiet ride, smooth engine, excellenet handling, good looks, better than average warranty - an excellent car in my opinion.

Favorite Features

handling, strong engine, warranty, interior quality (materials and build), styling, steering wheel audio controls (ought to be billed as a safety feature)

Suggested Improvements

shorter clutch throw, short-throw shifter, HID headlamps, auto-up windows (auto-down on non-driver windows), non- integrated stereo, white guages

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!!!!
By LET DOWN

2003 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've had the 6 for only 3 months and already suffered a water pump failure, rattles,and steering issues(grinding sensation at hgwy speeds). Beware of the alarm system,when it malfunctions,it will no shut off(had to drive home with it on!). Throttle delay is unbearable. Very cheap plastics used for the glove box,arm rest and door panels. Plastic used on driver side door panel is hard and uncomfortable when used to rest your left elbow on long trips. Center arm rest is too high(feels awkward shifting manumatic with your arm on it). Don't believe the hype or the car magazine reviews! There's a reason why more people buy Toyota,Honda,VW and Nissan!!!

Favorite Features

After the humiliating problems I've had nothing qualifies anymore as a favorite feature

Suggested Improvements

Better QUALITY!,Better erogonmics (i.e.thicker steering wheel,thinner steering wheel spokes,etc..),better throttle response,torque,gas mileage,& plastics,no rattles, alarm system that doesn't malfuncition and humiliate you,rear seat headrests,standard side air bags and curtain