2003 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda6 model:
It's still a great car.
By Kiwi on 02/12/10 12:39 PM (PST)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the V6 when it first came out. I loved the styling of the car, especially compared to the Camry & Accord. It handles much better than those two as well, tighter, stiffer. I think it's looks are holding up very well. Yes, there were a few teething problems with it. Squeaking/knocking noise when turning slowly at full lock(lower control arm issues). Rattle that comes & goes from the headliner. The very annoying shifting issues from 1st-2nd, 2nd-3rd(this was a defective throttle body problem that cost me $600 last year).

I like it but ready for something else
By atomic13 on 01/16/10 17:43 PM (PST)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan i 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the 6 in a pinch when our other car died. I wanted an 06 Civic but was too expensive. I put off testing the 6 but when I finally did (5 cars later), I was pleasantly surprised. Great acceleration, very roomy, comfy interior, huge trunk, "zoom zoom" and excellent handling. Only had it for a year and a half, normal maintenance. Had an issue with a dirty throttle body (seems to be common) which was easy to clean myself instead of paying dealership. Last week, my drivers' window stopped working so I'm trying to figure that out. Otherwise, have been happy with my "on-the-fly" purchase, since it wasn't what I wanted originally. Good family car, and sporty-looking

Bad Choice
By Tamhicks10 on 11/26/09 19:00 PM (PST)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

After a lot of research, I was dead set on purchasing a 2003 Mazda 6S. I found my dream car, fully loaded and after 6 months, had nothing but problems with it. I am the second owner and it had a clean record. I take care of my cars. My Mazda has blown spark plugs (now has helicoils) and at 59,000 miles, my transmission has just gone out. There was no warning. So now I am looking at a $2K-$3K repair. I love the look and feel of the ride so I always repaired and kept the car. I now want it gone. I would not recommend this car to anyone. Go with something reliable..Honda or Toyota.

Bad Transmission
By Michelle on 09/25/09 11:05 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I had only 50,000 miles on this car when the transmission started slamming into gear. They definitely have an internal problem with their transmissions. They cannot be rebuilt. You have to purchase another one from Mazda. $4000.00 later with only a year warranty it runs better. After I picked up my car from the shop another one came in with the same problem, same year. This should be a recall..........

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By Paul on 09/19/09 06:50 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan i 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

You simply cannot go wrong with the Mazda 6i. It's hands down the best car I've ever owned. I get over 30 mpg combined and the 4 cyl 160 hp engine has plenty of pep. I purchased the car off lease with 33K miles and now am close to 100K and have had only minor mechanical issue. The drive belt tensioner has gone bad twice (makes a rattle at low idle, common problem), it cost me $60 and 30 minutes of my time to replace both times. The O2 sensor went bad and it cost me $80 and 30 minutes of my time to replace. Oil changes are a snap and if you put Yokohama tires on this car it rides like a dream. My only complaint is the turning radius, it's horrible. I can live with that minor annoyance

A Faithful and Fun Car
By Felix on 08/26/09 20:35 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan i 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I owned my Mazda 6 for almost 6 1/2 years before trading it this month. In all that time, the only mechanical problem I ever had with the car was a bad CV valve. I did however have several problems with interior quality, namely my hands wore holes through the leather coverings on the steering wheel and gear-shift knob. Talk about cheap. The headliner also started coming down after only 4 1/2 years. Finally, the pixels on the center console started fading out making it difficult to read. All that said, the car was very reliable and fun to drive. It handled very nimbly and dug into corners. Straight-line acceleration was lacking but it was a 4-cylinder. I would definitely buy it again.

mazda 6
By fordtrucker2007 on 06/17/09 09:07 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have had my 6 for three years now and love it. Besides brake and caliper issues it has had no problems. It is fun to drive and handles wonderfully. I would suggest this car to anyone wanting a family car with a fun factor.

Win Some, Lose Some
By suzieraesmom on 05/28/09 11:05 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Mazda in 2003 when it first came out. I loved the feel, the sleek look, and the "zoom zoom" sound when I accelerated. It's now 6 years later, and I have enjoyed the car but will not buy another Mazda. There have been many recalls, and I went through the cooling/heating problems (i.e. fan kept running when engine was turned off, heater quit working once, etc.) I have never been satisfied with the heating/cooling. There is a huge kickback when the transmission shifts from 1st to 2nd gear. Throttle went out, oil pan replaced, new radiator, new water pump--you name it. I had a repair for $1,000 in January 2009.

Mddy0 Mazda6 S 2003
By mddy0 on 04/17/09 13:13 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

The 2003 Mazda6 S is a fun to drive stylish vehicle. It has plenty of power and is very fun to drive. I bought the S trim with the v6 engine and The interior is practical and well designed. It does have some reliability issues, but most owners should not have problems with it. It delivers a smooth ride. The factory sound system is lacking unless you upgrade to the bose package. I would recommend this car for those who want a sporty looking car that is roomy and comfortable. Mddy0 Mazda6

Nice car with some problems
By Sean on 04/12/09 11:07 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan i 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Alternator went at 67,000 miles 400.00 to replace. Check engine light kept coming on. Some kind of problem with bank 1 whatever that means. The car finally kept stalling. The problem was a PCV Valve hose which the only way to change it is the intake manifold has to come off. Well the hose is 10.00 from Mazda but its 300.00 for labor. Also at 69,000 miles the tranny started slipping. Bottle of Lucas solved that. Its 3800 to replace tranny. Very nice car but has a lot of bugs