2003 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda6 model:
Mostly I'm lovin my car
By risitaluv on 06/14/10 00:29 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan i 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I actually traded in my 2002 protege because I fell in love with this car before I even bought it. I love how it has a soft growl when I start the car sounding powerful. The seats are comfortable for long drives which I have done. The trunk is huge and helped when I moved. I am currently at 81,000 and just recently changed the brake pads for the first time. I am just now having a few problems but that's given with the mileage. The only other complaint that I did have was the stems on the wheels seem to snap off when you tighten your lug nuts and I've lost about 5 of them. But either then that this car has been very reliable for me these past 7 yrs.

Poor reliability and durability
By ahmed on 05/21/10 19:59 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan i 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I had Mazda 6 and it was doing well till it hit the 50 k mark and then it became a problem. Once it had 65K and it became beyond repair. If you are looking for a durable car for sure this is not for you.

I think we bought a bad one.
By Bacardifrog on 03/19/10 17:11 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan i 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

i have a 2003 mazda 6. I have had nothing but problems with this car since i bought it. the dealership had to replace the radiator, the transmission, and all my wiring harnesses and now i have a strange burning smell coming from my engine. the car is fun to drive and i love it minus all the mechanical problems.i just recently had to replace some ignition coils. if it wasn't paid off, i would trade it in right now. i just wonder if the problems come from it being the first models??

Great car
By Coloradochick on 03/12/10 12:17 PM (PST)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan i 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have now had my Mazda 6i for 7 years. This car really has been good to me. I have never had a flat, and never have had any mechanical problems. As a matter of fact, the front headlight just went out about six months ago. I bought this car brand new, and really would like to buy another Mazda 6. No complaints.

sickofmazda
By jb2590 on 02/12/10 12:53 PM (PST)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan i 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Mazda 6 used and it was perfect... At first.. The first problem was the cd player. Only likes select cds and ruined every cd I put in it. Another problem I experienced was the interior. I don't know what kind of fabric it is but water.. Stained! Impossible to clean then it felt like my transmission started slipping but couldn't pin point it because it didn't do it all the time. Went from that to check engine light staying on to the wiring system being messed up to getting stuck in 3rd gear to stalling out. This is all in 3 years. I loved my car at first but now I will never get a Mazda again..!

I like it but ready for something else
By atomic13 on 01/16/10 17:43 PM (PST)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan i 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the 6 in a pinch when our other car died. I wanted an 06 Civic but was too expensive. I put off testing the 6 but when I finally did (5 cars later), I was pleasantly surprised. Great acceleration, very roomy, comfy interior, huge trunk, "zoom zoom" and excellent handling. Only had it for a year and a half, normal maintenance. Had an issue with a dirty throttle body (seems to be common) which was easy to clean myself instead of paying dealership. Last week, my drivers' window stopped working so I'm trying to figure that out. Otherwise, have been happy with my "on-the-fly" purchase, since it wasn't what I wanted originally. Good family car, and sporty-looking

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By Paul on 09/19/09 06:50 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan i 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

You simply cannot go wrong with the Mazda 6i. It's hands down the best car I've ever owned. I get over 30 mpg combined and the 4 cyl 160 hp engine has plenty of pep. I purchased the car off lease with 33K miles and now am close to 100K and have had only minor mechanical issue. The drive belt tensioner has gone bad twice (makes a rattle at low idle, common problem), it cost me $60 and 30 minutes of my time to replace both times. The O2 sensor went bad and it cost me $80 and 30 minutes of my time to replace. Oil changes are a snap and if you put Yokohama tires on this car it rides like a dream. My only complaint is the turning radius, it's horrible. I can live with that minor annoyance

A Faithful and Fun Car
By Felix on 08/26/09 20:35 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan i 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I owned my Mazda 6 for almost 6 1/2 years before trading it this month. In all that time, the only mechanical problem I ever had with the car was a bad CV valve. I did however have several problems with interior quality, namely my hands wore holes through the leather coverings on the steering wheel and gear-shift knob. Talk about cheap. The headliner also started coming down after only 4 1/2 years. Finally, the pixels on the center console started fading out making it difficult to read. All that said, the car was very reliable and fun to drive. It handled very nimbly and dug into corners. Straight-line acceleration was lacking but it was a 4-cylinder. I would definitely buy it again.

Nice car with some problems
By Sean on 04/12/09 11:07 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan i 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Alternator went at 67,000 miles 400.00 to replace. Check engine light kept coming on. Some kind of problem with bank 1 whatever that means. The car finally kept stalling. The problem was a PCV Valve hose which the only way to change it is the intake manifold has to come off. Well the hose is 10.00 from Mazda but its 300.00 for labor. Also at 69,000 miles the tranny started slipping. Bottle of Lucas solved that. Its 3800 to replace tranny. Very nice car but has a lot of bugs

Just got it will comment again on 3/2010
By newyorkgiants on 02/24/09 23:22 PM (PST)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan i 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I just recently bought a used 2003 automatic, 4 cylinder Mazda 6i. It has around 52,000 I will comment on it again in one year to see what everybody says about this vehicle is true.