2003 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda6 model:
Best car I have ever owned
By wildcats7 on 08/14/14 11:34 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My V6 manual has been the best car I have ever owned. I purchased my 2003 Mazda 6 new in April 2004 and still drive it today (8/14/2014). The only thing that has gone wrong with this car in over 10 years is the water pump once went out and I had to replace a sagging headliner. I have over 150,000 miles on it and it drives as well today as the day I bought it. The paint, interior, and mechanical components have held up well. I read many of the reviews prior to writing this one which stated problems starting around the 50,000 mile mark. I am sure glad that has not been my experience. The car has been a pleasure to drive and almost like part of the family after so many years.

Disappointed in Ohio
By bigmama4 on 10/26/13 12:37 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

When I first bought my brand new Mazda 6 in 2003 I kept getting a burning smell in the car. The Mazda mechanic told me the smell would go away after 3 -5 thousand miles. He said it was something to do with the exhaust pipes. I can not remember how many times my brakes had to be changed and also just a month before my warranty expired I had to get rust fixed around my back wheel well. Of course they gave me a hard time but they fixed it twice because the first time looked terrible , I could have done better. Needless to say the rust came back with a fury it looks terrible,at least it is only in that one spot (strangely). Also the light cover on my front passenger door never stays on .

Don't buy from company whose motto is "Can't guarantee how long this car will last".
By la_fiera2000 on 04/22/11 10:59 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in 2003 with a 50k warranty. I complained several times about misfiring after 1 month and dealer never found the trouble. At 55k miles the trouble was found to be the Throttle Body. I wrote to Mazda and they said "Sorry, but we can't guarantee how long parts will last after warranty." After that the right control arm broke twice(most of my driving is on the highway). Now, after 8 yrs of meticulous maintenance the compression valves gave out and will cost more to repair than the car is worth. I wrote to Mazda, and again their response was, "Sorry, but we can not guarantee how long our cars will last."

Fun if your transmission works
By mazda6sowner on 10/20/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

got my 03 with only 19k miles on it, put a couple more thousand on it and the transmission went out. I went to 4 shops trying to find out why it slams into gear and they all say it's in perfect condition. the car has amazing looks and driving like a dream (when the transmission wants to work with you), but unless they fix the trannys i would not recommend. and my SUV gets better gas mileage in town

not the best car
By blaze h on 02/18/10 08:34 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my 6s as a repo from a bank. And ever since the brakes are shaky and theres a strange clicking sound coming from the motor that I have been told was a tension pulley and some grease will fix it. But it has 160k miles and its burning oil and I dont know why. I'm thinking its the pcv valve but I'm not sure. But I'm constantly putting oil in it. Oh and my air intake tube is broken in half. And my mechanic duck taped it. So I need a new one soon.

03 Mazda 6 S with every possible option
By Alex on 02/17/10 14:17 PM (PST)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is the first Mazda I ever bought and I'm pretty happy with the car. It looks GREAT with the sport package. The ride is pretty firm and a little bumpy but of course the car handles great. It's got a lot of power, 220hp, but it doesn't feel that fast even with a 5 speed manual. Nice interior design but not without flaws like peeling headliner, weird looking shifter trim and a few rattles. Overall a good car!

It's still a great car.
By Kiwi on 02/12/10 12:39 PM (PST)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the V6 when it first came out. I loved the styling of the car, especially compared to the Camry & Accord. It handles much better than those two as well, tighter, stiffer. I think it's looks are holding up very well. Yes, there were a few teething problems with it. Squeaking/knocking noise when turning slowly at full lock(lower control arm issues). Rattle that comes & goes from the headliner. The very annoying shifting issues from 1st-2nd, 2nd-3rd(this was a defective throttle body problem that cost me $600 last year).

Bad Choice
By Tamhicks10 on 11/26/09 19:00 PM (PST)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

After a lot of research, I was dead set on purchasing a 2003 Mazda 6S. I found my dream car, fully loaded and after 6 months, had nothing but problems with it. I am the second owner and it had a clean record. I take care of my cars. My Mazda has blown spark plugs (now has helicoils) and at 59,000 miles, my transmission has just gone out. There was no warning. So now I am looking at a $2K-$3K repair. I love the look and feel of the ride so I always repaired and kept the car. I now want it gone. I would not recommend this car to anyone. Go with something reliable..Honda or Toyota.

Bad Transmission
By Michelle on 09/25/09 11:05 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I had only 50,000 miles on this car when the transmission started slamming into gear. They definitely have an internal problem with their transmissions. They cannot be rebuilt. You have to purchase another one from Mazda. $4000.00 later with only a year warranty it runs better. After I picked up my car from the shop another one came in with the same problem, same year. This should be a recall..........

mazda 6
By fordtrucker2007 on 06/17/09 09:07 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have had my 6 for three years now and love it. Besides brake and caliper issues it has had no problems. It is fun to drive and handles wonderfully. I would suggest this car to anyone wanting a family car with a fun factor.