Used 2003 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mazda Mazda6 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda6 model:

The best I have ever had
By webster6

2003 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned 13 cars and this is by far the best car I have ever owned. I purchased it last year with 200,000 miles on it as a temporary car. However, I fell in love with my 03 Mazda 6 s. It handles great and I have put 36,000 miles on it myself. I have driven it on family vacations because it's comfortable and reliable. When the battery started to go bad, it never left me anywhere. It made sure I made it to the auto parts store and now it's just like new. People seem to complain if they get a lemon. That is a possibility with any car you buy. If I had to take a cross country trip tomorrow best believe I would hop in my 6 and zoom zoom with no hesitation.

Favorite Features

The get up and go, heated seats and the awesome BOSE stereo system. My wife and I both prefer to drive this car over our others because it is so comfortable and has power that no other 6 cylinder can compete with. Even my Pontiac Grand am GT is no match for my Mazda.

Suggested Improvements

Little more leg room in the back would be great. Not ideal for people over 5'9 at all. It's a good thing when that's all I have to complain about.

Best car I have ever owned
By wildcats7

2003 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My V6 manual has been the best car I have ever owned. I purchased my 2003 Mazda 6 new in April 2004 and still drive it today (8/14/2014). The only thing that has gone wrong with this car in over 10 years is the water pump once went out and I had to replace a sagging headliner. I have over 150,000 miles on it and it drives as well today as the day I bought it. The paint, interior, and mechanical components have held up well. I read many of the reviews prior to writing this one which stated problems starting around the 50,000 mile mark. I am sure glad that has not been my experience. The car has been a pleasure to drive and almost like part of the family after so many years.

Favorite Features

Handling, acceleration

Disappointed in Ohio
By bigmama4

2003 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

When I first bought my brand new Mazda 6 in 2003 I kept getting a burning smell in the car. The Mazda mechanic told me the smell would go away after 3 -5 thousand miles. He said it was something to do with the exhaust pipes. I can not remember how many times my brakes had to be changed and also just a month before my warranty expired I had to get rust fixed around my back wheel well. Of course they gave me a hard time but they fixed it twice because the first time looked terrible , I could have done better. Needless to say the rust came back with a fury it looks terrible,at least it is only in that one spot (strangely). Also the light cover on my front passenger door never stays on .

Favorite Features

The car is fun to drive I like the way it handles!

Don't buy from company whose motto is "Can't guarantee how long this car will last".
By la_fiera2000

2003 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in 2003 with a 50k warranty. I complained several times about misfiring after 1 month and dealer never found the trouble. At 55k miles the trouble was found to be the Throttle Body. I wrote to Mazda and they said "Sorry, but we can't guarantee how long parts will last after warranty." After that the right control arm broke twice(most of my driving is on the highway). Now, after 8 yrs of meticulous maintenance the compression valves gave out and will cost more to repair than the car is worth. I wrote to Mazda, and again their response was, "Sorry, but we can not guarantee how long our cars will last."

Favorite Features

Handling but it came at a cost as the right control arm seems to be a problem.

Suggested Improvements

Company's attitude towards it's customers who are trying to get their issue resolved.

Fun if your transmission works
By mazda6sowner

2003 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

got my 03 with only 19k miles on it, put a couple more thousand on it and the transmission went out. I went to 4 shops trying to find out why it slams into gear and they all say it's in perfect condition. the car has amazing looks and driving like a dream (when the transmission wants to work with you), but unless they fix the trannys i would not recommend. and my SUV gets better gas mileage in town

Favorite Features

great handling and comfort

Suggested Improvements

TRANSMISSION, and gas mileage