2003 Mazda Mazda6 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda6 model:
Best car I have ever owned
By wildcats7 on 08/14/14 11:34 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My V6 manual has been the best car I have ever owned. I purchased my 2003 Mazda 6 new in April 2004 and still drive it today (8/14/2014). The only thing that has gone wrong with this car in over 10 years is the water pump once went out and I had to replace a sagging headliner. I have over 150,000 miles on it and it drives as well today as the day I bought it. The paint, interior, and mechanical components have held up well. I read many of the reviews prior to writing this one which stated problems starting around the 50,000 mile mark. I am sure glad that has not been my experience. The car has been a pleasure to drive and almost like part of the family after so many years.

Disappointed in Ohio
By bigmama4 on 10/26/13 12:37 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

When I first bought my brand new Mazda 6 in 2003 I kept getting a burning smell in the car. The Mazda mechanic told me the smell would go away after 3 -5 thousand miles. He said it was something to do with the exhaust pipes. I can not remember how many times my brakes had to be changed and also just a month before my warranty expired I had to get rust fixed around my back wheel well. Of course they gave me a hard time but they fixed it twice because the first time looked terrible , I could have done better. Needless to say the rust came back with a fury it looks terrible,at least it is only in that one spot (strangely). Also the light cover on my front passenger door never stays on .

Don't buy from company whose motto is "Can't guarantee how long this car will last".
By la_fiera2000 on 04/22/11 10:59 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in 2003 with a 50k warranty. I complained several times about misfiring after 1 month and dealer never found the trouble. At 55k miles the trouble was found to be the Throttle Body. I wrote to Mazda and they said "Sorry, but we can't guarantee how long parts will last after warranty." After that the right control arm broke twice(most of my driving is on the highway). Now, after 8 yrs of meticulous maintenance the compression valves gave out and will cost more to repair than the car is worth. I wrote to Mazda, and again their response was, "Sorry, but we can not guarantee how long our cars will last."

Fun if your transmission works
By mazda6sowner on 10/20/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

got my 03 with only 19k miles on it, put a couple more thousand on it and the transmission went out. I went to 4 shops trying to find out why it slams into gear and they all say it's in perfect condition. the car has amazing looks and driving like a dream (when the transmission wants to work with you), but unless they fix the trannys i would not recommend. and my SUV gets better gas mileage in town

Mostly I'm lovin my car
By risitaluv on 06/14/10 00:29 AM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 i 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I actually traded in my 2002 protege because I fell in love with this car before I even bought it. I love how it has a soft growl when I start the car sounding powerful. The seats are comfortable for long drives which I have done. The trunk is huge and helped when I moved. I am currently at 81,000 and just recently changed the brake pads for the first time. I am just now having a few problems but that's given with the mileage. The only other complaint that I did have was the stems on the wheels seem to snap off when you tighten your lug nuts and I've lost about 5 of them. But either then that this car has been very reliable for me these past 7 yrs.

Poor reliability and durability
By ahmed on 05/21/10 19:59 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 i 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I had Mazda 6 and it was doing well till it hit the 50 k mark and then it became a problem. Once it had 65K and it became beyond repair. If you are looking for a durable car for sure this is not for you.

I think we bought a bad one.
By Bacardifrog on 03/19/10 17:11 PM (PDT)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 i 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

i have a 2003 mazda 6. I have had nothing but problems with this car since i bought it. the dealership had to replace the radiator, the transmission, and all my wiring harnesses and now i have a strange burning smell coming from my engine. the car is fun to drive and i love it minus all the mechanical problems.i just recently had to replace some ignition coils. if it wasn't paid off, i would trade it in right now. i just wonder if the problems come from it being the first models??

Great car
By Coloradochick on 03/12/10 12:17 PM (PST)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 i 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have now had my Mazda 6i for 7 years. This car really has been good to me. I have never had a flat, and never have had any mechanical problems. As a matter of fact, the front headlight just went out about six months ago. I bought this car brand new, and really would like to buy another Mazda 6. No complaints.

not the best car
By blaze h on 02/18/10 08:34 AM (PST)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my 6s as a repo from a bank. And ever since the brakes are shaky and theres a strange clicking sound coming from the motor that I have been told was a tension pulley and some grease will fix it. But it has 160k miles and its burning oil and I dont know why. I'm thinking its the pcv valve but I'm not sure. But I'm constantly putting oil in it. Oh and my air intake tube is broken in half. And my mechanic duck taped it. So I need a new one soon.

03 Mazda 6 S with every possible option
By Alex on 02/17/10 14:17 PM (PST)

2003 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is the first Mazda I ever bought and I'm pretty happy with the car. It looks GREAT with the sport package. The ride is pretty firm and a little bumpy but of course the car handles great. It's got a lot of power, 220hp, but it doesn't feel that fast even with a 5 speed manual. Nice interior design but not without flaws like peeling headliner, weird looking shifter trim and a few rattles. Overall a good car!