Perfect for us!
By constantinea on
2013 Mazda Mazda5 Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)
When my wife and I decided to replace our 2003 Jeep Liberty, we set some stringent criteria. We wanted a car that could seat our baby, our 4-yo, and an adult or two on occasion, when relatives visit. However, it also needed to be small enough to maneuver easily in and out of parking spaces in suburban malls or NYC, get at least 20-miles per gallon mixed, and be fun to drive even on windy roads. Its outside had to look appealing, and its inside had to handle abuse from the kids well. Finally, it had to cost less than $30,000 with all extras. Frankly, we did not think such a car existed...until we found the Mazda 5. Our Mazda has turned out to be everything we hoped it would be.
Favorite Features
Sporty ride, accurate and responsive steering, flexible interior that accomodates various circumstances from sitting six to transporting IKEA furniture, nicely-designed outside, easier to park, better fuel-efficiency, and corners better than big minivans, controls on steering wheel, automatic headlights that turn night into day, automatic wipers with sensors, and most of all, very reasonably priced! Drove from NYC to Chicago under heavy rain and thunder for much of the trip and the car performed splenidly. Plastic interior does seem a bit hard and cheap at times, but with two small kids this is not necessarily bad, and if it helps keep the price low then I would say, keep it as is.
Suggested Improvements
As others have written, I would focus on three things. First, improve acceleration (maybe instal a Skyactiv engine). Second, address the noise from the roof rack, which gets really loud after 40 mph. It basically renders the sunroof unusable. Finally, the breaking distance could be shorter. Seats feel a bit tight in the beginning, but add to the sportiness and you get used to them relatively quickly.
By yutach
on 02/07/14 09:05 AM (PST)

It is a great car, isn't it! It does its job very well. You commented on the brakes - have you every had to really SLAM on the brakes, to the floor? If not, then you're probably asking for a steeper calibration to the pedal. But have you? We rented one for a trip, and the brakes felt very responsive to me, but I never had to really slam them, so I don't know how well they perform at the limit.

By constantinea
on 03/21/14 13:02 PM (PDT)

Hi yutach, yes it is. I never had to slam on the breaks, but I had to break suddenly and it just feels it takes a bit more distance than I would expect to come to a stop. Of course, it could be that it is a bigger car than what one would think by driving it.