Mini Minivan Impulse
By presappl on
2012 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)
We were planning to buy the CX-7 when we saw the Mazda 5. It was love at first sight! While my husband test drove the car, one of my daughter's and I sat in the very back seats and raised our hands like we were on a roller coaster ride -- we had too much fun on the test drive! It is a cute (love the smiling face), fun car, and I love to tell people about our mini minivan's features. The low car height makes it easier for my daughter with disabilities to get in and out. But, low and longer than expected makes it harder for me to park and has resulted in more scrapes to the front bumper. The third row has come in handy a few times, too. For trips, I prefer larger vehicles.
Favorite Features
The Mazda 5 is cute, handles fairly well, and performs decently. The third row has been beneficial for the times when we have extra passengers and the sliding doors have been a great asset getting in and out of the car in tight spaces. I admit I really miss my CRV, but the Mazda 5 tries to give the driver more of an SUV experience with the ability to raise the driver's seat so that you feel like you are driving a car that is higher off the ground. I do love the ability to connect my phone to the radio to play my music, but I have been unable to use the car's controls to switch between tracks.
Suggested Improvements
1. The most unnerving thing I have experienced is the choppy nature of the brakes. It is so much so that I explain to new passengers that the Mazda technicians did check them and said they were fine and that the choppy nature was due to the anti-lock brake system which kicks in as the brakes are pressed more than 2" down. It still doesn't feel right. 2. The Mazda 5 has a small car feel but is actually quite long. Full parking spaces are needed as the car must be pulled up to the line or it will stick out. 3. Cheap materials? Bought in 2011, the tire tread is running thin at 25,000 mile, a few unexpected interior accessory parts are breaking and the seat fabric is difficult to clean.