Great Car For The Money
By fastcars5 on
2012 Mazda Mazda5 Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)
We bought the Mazda5 mini van as a replacement for a Ford Freestar mini van that was totaled. I miss the Freestar because it was larger but the interior in the mazda is roomy enough for two people on a trip. It was purchased for my wife but I drive it once or twice a week commuting to work, 52 miles round trip. We just drove it to Atlanta and back, 1600 miles without any issues. Gas mileage is decent but not what you would expect from a car this size. We had a DVD player installed for the grand kids and they love it. If you fold down the four rear seats, you can carry a lot of equipment but with the third row seats up, trunk space is very limited.
Favorite Features
Fold down seats for a completly flat area for hauling things. I got a dining room table in the back, with the legs removed. Dual sliding doors make entering and exiting easy for rear passengers. The van doesn't waste as much room in my garage as the Freestar. One year old and 13,000 miles, the car still feels new. It drives more like a car than a van.
Suggested Improvements
More trunk space when the seats are up. You can carry 4 adults and 2 children or 2 adults and a lot of stuff. People or things, not both! The AC and heat controls can be confusing. The wind noise is very loud when the sun roof is open. No rear heat from the vents in the back, only AC. The heat has to travel from the front of the van. I think this is strange.