Used 2012 Mazda Mazda5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Mazda Mazda5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda5 model:

Absolutely Love my M5
By jdooleyvt

2012 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

We've spent about 10 months with our Mazda5 already. We have two daughters under the age of two. The car seats, strollers, diaper bags and other bulky kid stuff all fits in the Mazda 5 without any issue. This car is simply a blast to drive. It is easy to forget that you are driving a vehicle with sliding doors. Loading the girls into the back seat is easy and once they start opening the doors themselves I don't have to worry about them putting a dent in another car in the parking lot. This car is perfect size for a family of four and the extra seats are a great option. In mostly city driving I get about 25-26 mpg on a longer trip it gets over 30 mpg. My best is over 35 mpg.

Favorite Features

Handling, size, mileage, visibility, standard features, and did I mention the handling. And I can't believe I'd ever say this...sliding doors are awesome.

Suggested Improvements

The stock tires are pretty awful but they have been replaced. I wouldn't mind another gear or two in the transmission to further increase gas mileage.

Great car at excellent price
By jcampo

2012 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Bought the 2012 Mazda 5 manual in April 2011. Over 13k miles and has been running great. Love the look, great acceleration. Love the siding slide doors for our two kids 16/12 plus dog. Third row seats have been used, but can't use them for a long trip. Trunk is small with third seats in use, but push them down and you have plenty of space for longer trips with family of four. Mileage averages about 27mpg city/hwy. On highway, best was 33mpg. Visibility to right blind spot a bit blocked, but other than that, this was definitely the best car for us. Excellent space, fun to drive, decent mileage, and we got a great price.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive Acceleration Crisp steering Sliding side doors 2nd row captain seats 3rd row seats available/fold down

Suggested Improvements

Visibility to right rear Try to improve mileage

No Really, its a Wagon
By landric

2012 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I just purchased my 5 this past weekend, so my impressions are limited to recent experience. I do plan to update my experiences as time goes on. I traded a 2009 Kia Sedona in on the 5 Sport with a manual transmission. The Sedona, while a fantastic vehicle for trips was more than my family needs for day to day use. I wanted something smaller, more economical, and more fun that could still haul my family of five as needed. The 5 is perfect for that, I love how it drives and handles and after several years stuck driving an automatic mini-van I love the six speed manual. I owned a 2002 Mazda Protege ES 5-speed for four years and 115k and had a great experience, the 5 is just as much fun.

Favorite Features

Handling is fantastic, this little car does not drive like a mini-van, hence my decision to call it a wagon. The shifter is smooth and easy to use, the engine is quiet at idle and crusing, and it has enough guts to get the 5 moving. It isn't exactly fast, but the driving experience is such that it feels faster than it is. I love the sliding doors and third row seats combined with a smaller car feel, and did I mention the available manual transmission? The gauges are clear and easy to read, and I am getting to really like the high mounted center information center. I loved my Protege ES, the 5 feels like an evolution of that car with more interior room and power. Zoom zoom!

Suggested Improvements

There are some little things I would like to see change. The car needs more storage bins, my Sedona spoiled me in that respect and the 5 seems lacking now. I wish the manual transmission Sport was available in more color choices (I got metropolitan gray and like it, but I would have gone with Black if it was available with the 6-speed). The Sport should also include the trip computer and Sirius radio as standard. I don't much care about Bluetooth or other techy options, but I am sure there are manual transmission buyers who do, such should at least be optional. I can't comment on fuel economy yet, I've yet to fill up, but the 5 sure seems to be doing much better than the Sedona there.

Love My Mazda5!!!
By kbstagg

2012 Mazda Mazda5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

So far I am loving the Mazda5. After extensive research and needing to be able to seat 6. This vehicle had the most bang for the buck, without the horrible SUV gas mileage. Engine could use a few more HP, but really not bad. Acceleration is good and the transmission shift is so smooth. I traded a 2011 Honda Civic for the 2012 Mazda5 and couldn't be happier. I drive about 70% Hwy and am avg 25 mpg with a little over 1000 miles( I was only avg 27 mpg with my Civic). Even has all the bells and whistles, with a great sticker price. It really is fun to drive and handles just like a car. I can't say enough good things about this vehicle.

Favorite Features

Bluetooth and steering wheel mounted controls (this is my first car with these), Traction control, 4 wheel disc brakes, brake distribution, Climate control instead of standard a/c, rear a/c, under seat storage in second row. All of this STANDARD, without sticker shock. The only thing that mine didn't come with is Sat Radio installed, but I'm fine with it.

Suggested Improvements

Rear storage is small, but liveable

Car with Mini Van Features
By jmr919

2012 Mazda Mazda5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

We just bought the Mazda5 Touring 2012 and researched this car quite a bit. We did not really want a true minivan however this car was more like a larger economy car with minivan features. So far so good.

Favorite Features

The best features are the rear sliding doors. It makes it easier for our son to get in and out. The look of the Mazda5 is great and doesn't look like a full sized minivan.

Suggested Improvements

Suggested improvement would be to offer this with privacy glass as standard. Also incorporate the roof rack system with the car and make the cross rails the add on accessory.