Used 2012 Mazda 5 Consumer Reviews - 26 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Mazda 5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 model:

On the fence
By maeby101

2012 Mazda 5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I've had this car for almost a year and 10.5k miles. There are many things I like about it, but I would trade it in if I could. I was coming from an '05 Outback, which had it's share of problems over 100k miles, but I loved that car from the start. I can't say the same about the 5. I chose this car because of the ability to put an adult in the backseat with our two little kids. But we only need to do this on long trips, which is maybe twice a year. I miss having AWD (though the 5 was fine with winter tires in last year's very mild winter). Something about it just feels cheap. After 10k miles, one of the sliding doors has begun to rattle at slow speeds. That's just wrong.

flexible interior, tight steering/somewhat fun to drive, sliding doors are nice for kids, my 3-year-old loves the car

interior feels cheap; wish it had a more advanced trip computer (only seems to track average mpg for the life of the car, not trip-to-trip); mileage kind of sucks - i'm only getting 21.6mpg in mostly local driving (hilly, country roads) though i'm not a hypermiler; hate the low ride height though this is personal preference; can't believe sliding door is rattling already, and closest dealer is over an hour away, not convenient to fix; mazda dealer told me that local ford dealer could do maintenance, but ford says they can't do warranty stuff, so what good is that?; road and wind noise is pretty awful; underpowered - had more pickup in my notoriously sluggish outback

Excellent minivan
By jastin

2012 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

Have been driving the mazda 5 for 4 months and absolutely love it. Drive is awesome, little road noise (probably from OEM tire), handle wonderfully. Plenty of space for 4 adults and 2 children as we experienced (the two children rode in the bag seats, plenty of space for them there).
A must buy if you want a nice minivan for a fair price, even my wife can stop raving about it.

Ease of drive, sliding back doors, versatility of interior.

Improved gas mileage (still better than any minivan on the market)

Absolutely Love my M5
By jdooleyvt

2012 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

We've spent about 10 months with our Mazda5 already.
We have two daughters under the age of two.
The car seats, strollers, diaper bags and other bulky kid stuff all fits in the Mazda 5 without any issue.
This car is simply a blast to drive.
It is easy to forget that you are driving a vehicle with sliding doors.
Loading the girls into the back seat is easy and once they start opening the doors themselves I don't have to worry about them putting a dent in another car in the parking lot.
This car is perfect size for a family of four and the extra seats are a great option.
In mostly city driving I get about 25-26 mpg on a longer trip it gets over 30 mpg.
My best is over 35 mpg.

Handling, size, mileage, visibility, standard features, and did I mention the handling. And I can't believe I'd ever say this...sliding doors are awesome.

The stock tires are pretty awful but they have been replaced. I wouldn't mind another gear or two in the transmission to further increase gas mileage.

Great car at excellent price
By jcampo

2012 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Bought the 2012 Mazda 5 manual in April 2011. Over 13k miles and has been running great. Love the look, great acceleration. Love the siding slide doors for our two kids 16/12 plus dog. Third row seats have been used, but can't use them for a long trip. Trunk is small with third seats in use, but push them down and you have plenty of space for longer trips with family of four. Mileage averages about 27mpg city/hwy. On highway, best was 33mpg.

Visibility to right blind spot a bit blocked, but other than that, this was definitely the best car for us. Excellent space, fun to drive, decent mileage, and we got a great price.

Fun to drive Acceleration Crisp steering Sliding side doors 2nd row captain seats 3rd row seats available/fold down

Visibility to right rear Try to improve mileage

No Really, its a Wagon
By landric

2012 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I just purchased my 5 this past weekend, so my impressions are limited to recent experience.
I do plan to update my experiences as time goes on.
I traded a 2009 Kia Sedona in on the 5 Sport with a manual transmission.
The Sedona, while a fantastic vehicle for trips was more than my family needs for day to day use.
I wanted something smaller, more economical, and more fun that could still haul my family of five as needed.
The 5 is perfect for that, I love how it drives and handles and after several years stuck driving an automatic mini-van I love the six speed manual.
I owned a 2002 Mazda Protege ES 5-speed for four years and 115k and had a great experience, the 5 is just as much fun.

Handling is fantastic, this little car does not drive like a mini-van, hence my decision to call it a wagon. The shifter is smooth and easy to use, the engine is quiet at idle and crusing, and it has enough guts to get the 5 moving. It isn't exactly fast, but the driving experience is such that it feels faster than it is. I love the sliding doors and third row seats combined with a smaller car feel, and did I mention the available manual transmission? The gauges are clear and easy to read, and I am getting to really like the high mounted center information center. I loved my Protege ES, the 5 feels like an evolution of that car with more interior room and power. Zoom zoom!

There are some little things I would like to see change. The car needs more storage bins, my Sedona spoiled me in that respect and the 5 seems lacking now. I wish the manual transmission Sport was available in more color choices (I got metropolitan gray and like it, but I would have gone with Black if it was available with the 6-speed). The Sport should also include the trip computer and Sirius radio as standard. I don't much care about Bluetooth or other techy options, but I am sure there are manual transmission buyers who do, such should at least be optional. I can't comment on fuel economy yet, I've yet to fill up, but the 5 sure seems to be doing much better than the Sedona there.