Used 2012 Mazda 5 Minivan Consumer Reviews - 26 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Mazda 5 Minivan

View reviews for a specific 5 model:

Great Value
By ivanch

2012 Mazda 5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

The Mazda 5 offers great value for the money.
I purchased a brand new 2012 model in March 2013 with a nice discount where
the price was comparable to a 2013 Hyundai Elantra.
At that price, the extra room of the Mazda 5 made it an unbeatable deal.

The Mazda 5 touring is a great vehicle because it fits 6 passengers, it is fun to drive, it is the perfect size for a person who either wants a smaller minivan or a larger car.
This vehicle can take kids around but also serves as a nice commuter car with ample room and height when compared to other cars.

Seating capacity for 6. Middle and back seats fold down to give room for cargo space if needed. Cargo net. Bluetooth. Fun to drive.

More power to the transmission when going uphill. Gas mileage could be better.

Almost Perfect
By oakwind

2012 Mazda 5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I bought my 2012 Mazda 5 in February of 2013 with 10 miles on the odometer.
Upgrading from a '96 Corolla with 166K and 27/34 mpg.
I got all the room extra I wanted and more but was disappointed in the mpg (24mpg).
I am more of an SUV kind of person rather than a "mini-van".
It's size and body style is more inline with the Rav4 & CRV that I looked at with a better price and mpg than they offered.
I wished the milage was better and there was a bigger covered center console.
I could have gotten this with new Mazda CX-5, but the bench seat didn't fold FLAT and the front 'racing" seats were hard & uncomfortable.
Every time I drive ZoomZoom, I find something else about it I like

I love the Flat folding cargo capacity. Tons of room in the back without loosing the second row seating

The center console needs to be larger, taller and covered so you can put things in it and not worry about them being seen or something spilled. Adjustable roof rack and rails on the top, instead of the removable fixed point cross bars. This would increase the "sporty" look and provide added hauling capacity for the family trips

The practical car for people who like to drive!
By 06scooby

2012 Mazda 5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

We love our Mazda 5 with the 6-speed. After giving up our manual Subaru Wagon for a full size mini-van after having 2 kids, we came back down to the 5. We are manual transmission people & this was our only option, but we love it. Sporty and fun, and plenty of room for two kids. Could use a little more oomph, but we prefer driving a slow car fast. Great gas mileage & its pretty comfortable despite the factory tires. We would have like a more loaded version, but giving up the goodies was worth 3 rows & a stick shift. I even contacted Mazda & asked with a large deposit if they'd build me a Grand Touring with a 6 speed & they said no! :-(

Manual transmission first and foremost and the rest of the package it comes with, Easy to Drive and fits everywhere easy, 3rd row when you need it in a pinch. Gas mileage is good for anything with 3 rows as we average 27-28mpg in mixed driving and see over 30 on trips. Playful drive and eats up the miles easily. The car is a fantastic value as we picked ours up brand new for only $17500 which was less than a Mazda 3.

The skyactiv 2.5 would be a welcome addition and make it even better. The factory tires stink and put a kink in an otherwise all around well balanced ride. Better seat belts in the 3rd row. And my main gripe, is that I understand not building a manual transmission for a few nuts out there. But when you actually offer it in your lowest trim and someone wants to special order it in the upper level trim, willing to wait and throw money down on it, I honestly don't understand why that is impossible to do. Mazda, you have a niche, still offer manual transmissions & even have offered it on loaded other cars in your fleet due to demand. Be more accommodating Please!

Great Car For The Money
By fastcars5

2012 Mazda 5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

We bought the Mazda5 mini van as a replacement for a Ford Freestar mini van that was totaled. I miss the Freestar because it was larger but the interior in the mazda is roomy enough for two people on a trip. It was purchased for my wife but I drive it once or twice a week commuting to work, 52 miles round trip. We just drove it to Atlanta and back, 1600 miles without any issues. Gas mileage is decent but not what you would expect from a car this size. We had a DVD player installed for the grand kids and they love it. If you fold down the four rear seats, you can carry a lot of equipment but with the third row seats up, trunk space is very limited.

Fold down seats for a completly flat area for hauling things. I got a dining room table in the back, with the legs removed. Dual sliding doors make entering and exiting easy for rear passengers. The van doesn't waste as much room in my garage as the Freestar. One year old and 13,000 miles, the car still feels new. It drives more like a car than a van.

More trunk space when the seats are up. You can carry 4 adults and 2 children or 2 adults and a lot of stuff. People or things, not both! The AC and heat controls can be confusing. The wind noise is very loud when the sun roof is open. No rear heat from the vents in the back, only AC. The heat has to travel from the front of the van. I think this is strange.

Great so far, but a few interior irritations...
By birdsnest25

2012 Mazda 5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

So, I'm one week into ownership of a 2012 Mazda5 Touring.
For the most part I am happy, with a few execution complaints.
Build quality seems good, handing and ride quality very good, milage has been great (30+ mpg on highway).
Complaints: sunroof is abysmal, only opening to 60% of the cutout -- come on, engineer it to open 100%.
Also, there is no front covered storage other than the glove compartment.
The fold down center front armrests get in the way of the seat belt buckles and should be replaced with a covered bin.
Also, the sound system should be better.
For the same price as the lousy sunroof and CD changer in the Mazda5, you get a real sunroof and Bose system in the CX5

Good size, flexible seating, great milage so far -- was expecting worse. Obviously the high quality drivetrain which is this vehicle's strong point. That and the size, sliding doors and rear seats which put this mini-mini van in a class alone. I did get a very fair price but it took quite a bit of haggling to get to where I knew we should be in the end. I think some sort of better information display should be included -- the orange LED display is rather primative compared to the competition.

No covered storage bin in front. The dash trays are about 1/2 inch deep and so largely worthless. I would have loved a covered bin in the dash and a center armrest bin. Second, I opted for the sunroof/CD changer package sight unseen. The sunroof is a joke and a waste of $1K. It pivots to open externally (presumably to save headroom). Anyway, you only get 60% of the cutout open to the sky, perhaps 9 inches or so. I would think this could have been properly engineered to open 100%. The CD changer is of debatable value. For the same price the CX5 gives you a real sunroof and Bose 9 speaker soundsystem.