Used 2012 Mazda 5 Sport Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Mazda 5 - Consumer Reviews

2012 Mazda 5 Minivan

View reviews for a specific 5 model:

The practical car for people who like to drive!
By 06scooby

2012 Mazda 5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

We love our Mazda 5 with the 6-speed. After giving up our manual Subaru Wagon for a full size mini-van after having 2 kids, we came back down to the 5. We are manual transmission people & this was our only option, but we love it. Sporty and fun, and plenty of room for two kids. Could use a little more oomph, but we prefer driving a slow car fast. Great gas mileage & its pretty comfortable despite the factory tires. We would have like a more loaded version, but giving up the goodies was worth 3 rows & a stick shift. I even contacted Mazda & asked with a large deposit if they'd build me a Grand Touring with a 6 speed & they said no! :-(

Favorite Features

Manual transmission first and foremost and the rest of the package it comes with, Easy to Drive and fits everywhere easy, 3rd row when you need it in a pinch. Gas mileage is good for anything with 3 rows as we average 27-28mpg in mixed driving and see over 30 on trips. Playful drive and eats up the miles easily. The car is a fantastic value as we picked ours up brand new for only $17500 which was less than a Mazda 3.

Suggested Improvements

The skyactiv 2.5 would be a welcome addition and make it even better. The factory tires stink and put a kink in an otherwise all around well balanced ride. Better seat belts in the 3rd row. And my main gripe, is that I understand not building a manual transmission for a few nuts out there. But when you actually offer it in your lowest trim and someone wants to special order it in the upper level trim, willing to wait and throw money down on it, I honestly don't understand why that is impossible to do. Mazda, you have a niche, still offer manual transmissions & even have offered it on loaded other cars in your fleet due to demand. Be more accommodating Please!

Great car at excellent price
By jcampo

2012 Mazda 5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Bought the 2012 Mazda 5 manual in April 2011. Over 13k miles and has been running great. Love the look, great acceleration. Love the siding slide doors for our two kids 16/12 plus dog. Third row seats have been used, but can't use them for a long trip. Trunk is small with third seats in use, but push them down and you have plenty of space for longer trips with family of four. Mileage averages about 27mpg city/hwy. On highway, best was 33mpg. Visibility to right blind spot a bit blocked, but other than that, this was definitely the best car for us. Excellent space, fun to drive, decent mileage, and we got a great price.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive Acceleration Crisp steering Sliding side doors 2nd row captain seats 3rd row seats available/fold down

Suggested Improvements

Visibility to right rear Try to improve mileage

No Really, its a Wagon
By landric

2012 Mazda 5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I just purchased my 5 this past weekend, so my impressions are limited to recent experience. I do plan to update my experiences as time goes on. I traded a 2009 Kia Sedona in on the 5 Sport with a manual transmission. The Sedona, while a fantastic vehicle for trips was more than my family needs for day to day use. I wanted something smaller, more economical, and more fun that could still haul my family of five as needed. The 5 is perfect for that, I love how it drives and handles and after several years stuck driving an automatic mini-van I love the six speed manual. I owned a 2002 Mazda Protege ES 5-speed for four years and 115k and had a great experience, the 5 is just as much fun.

Favorite Features

Handling is fantastic, this little car does not drive like a mini-van, hence my decision to call it a wagon. The shifter is smooth and easy to use, the engine is quiet at idle and crusing, and it has enough guts to get the 5 moving. It isn't exactly fast, but the driving experience is such that it feels faster than it is. I love the sliding doors and third row seats combined with a smaller car feel, and did I mention the available manual transmission? The gauges are clear and easy to read, and I am getting to really like the high mounted center information center. I loved my Protege ES, the 5 feels like an evolution of that car with more interior room and power. Zoom zoom!

Suggested Improvements

There are some little things I would like to see change. The car needs more storage bins, my Sedona spoiled me in that respect and the 5 seems lacking now. I wish the manual transmission Sport was available in more color choices (I got metropolitan gray and like it, but I would have gone with Black if it was available with the 6-speed). The Sport should also include the trip computer and Sirius radio as standard. I don't much care about Bluetooth or other techy options, but I am sure there are manual transmission buyers who do, such should at least be optional. I can't comment on fuel economy yet, I've yet to fill up, but the 5 sure seems to be doing much better than the Sedona there.

First 1500 Miles on Mazda 5, 6-Speed Manual
By superelevated

2012 Mazda 5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Mazda hit a home run with this little gem. I love driving, and normally drive my vehicles like they are stolen. We have two kids that were having a hard time fitting in our 08 Jetta (yes, also with a manual). We now have taken day trips with two kids and 4 adults with no problems fitting everyone comfortably. We have also fit 6 adults fairly comfortably for short trips. This car is fun to drive, and yet very economical. We get 23-25 mpg when driving hard or fully loaded with people, and have gotten 30 mpg on a 350 mile road trip. Right now we are averaging 27.4mpg over the life of the car. I can't believe I'm driving a mini-minivan that is this practical and fun!

Favorite Features

My wife has already stopped teasing me and is asking for the keys, 6-speed, gas mileage, interior room, decent pick-up for a 4-cylinder, looks great in gray.

Suggested Improvements

I'm sure the police would want to check my ride out more if you dropped the turbo into the 5. Otherwise, more options (sunroof, 17" rims, leather would be appreciated with the 6-speed)