Used 2012 Mazda 5 Touring Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 model:

Great Value
By ivanch

2012 Mazda 5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

The Mazda 5 offers great value for the money. I purchased a brand new 2012 model in March 2013 with a nice discount where the price was comparable to a 2013 Hyundai Elantra. At that price, the extra room of the Mazda 5 made it an unbeatable deal. The Mazda 5 touring is a great vehicle because it fits 6 passengers, it is fun to drive, it is the perfect size for a person who either wants a smaller minivan or a larger car. This vehicle can take kids around but also serves as a nice commuter car with ample room and height when compared to other cars.

Seating capacity for 6. Middle and back seats fold down to give room for cargo space if needed. Cargo net. Bluetooth. Fun to drive.

More power to the transmission when going uphill. Gas mileage could be better.

Great so far, but a few interior irritations...
By birdsnest25

2012 Mazda 5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

So, I'm one week into ownership of a 2012 Mazda5 Touring. For the most part I am happy, with a few execution complaints. Build quality seems good, handing and ride quality very good, milage has been great (30+ mpg on highway). Complaints: sunroof is abysmal, only opening to 60% of the cutout -- come on, engineer it to open 100%. Also, there is no front covered storage other than the glove compartment. The fold down center front armrests get in the way of the seat belt buckles and should be replaced with a covered bin. Also, the sound system should be better. For the same price as the lousy sunroof and CD changer in the Mazda5, you get a real sunroof and Bose system in the CX5

Good size, flexible seating, great milage so far -- was expecting worse. Obviously the high quality drivetrain which is this vehicle's strong point. That and the size, sliding doors and rear seats which put this mini-mini van in a class alone. I did get a very fair price but it took quite a bit of haggling to get to where I knew we should be in the end. I think some sort of better information display should be included -- the orange LED display is rather primative compared to the competition.

No covered storage bin in front. The dash trays are about 1/2 inch deep and so largely worthless. I would have loved a covered bin in the dash and a center armrest bin. Second, I opted for the sunroof/CD changer package sight unseen. The sunroof is a joke and a waste of $1K. It pivots to open externally (presumably to save headroom). Anyway, you only get 60% of the cutout open to the sky, perhaps 9 inches or so. I would think this could have been properly engineered to open 100%. The CD changer is of debatable value. For the same price the CX5 gives you a real sunroof and Bose 9 speaker soundsystem.

On the fence
By maeby101

2012 Mazda 5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I've had this car for almost a year and 10.5k miles. There are many things I like about it, but I would trade it in if I could. I was coming from an '05 Outback, which had it's share of problems over 100k miles, but I loved that car from the start. I can't say the same about the 5. I chose this car because of the ability to put an adult in the backseat with our two little kids. But we only need to do this on long trips, which is maybe twice a year. I miss having AWD (though the 5 was fine with winter tires in last year's very mild winter). Something about it just feels cheap. After 10k miles, one of the sliding doors has begun to rattle at slow speeds. That's just wrong.

flexible interior, tight steering/somewhat fun to drive, sliding doors are nice for kids, my 3-year-old loves the car

interior feels cheap; wish it had a more advanced trip computer (only seems to track average mpg for the life of the car, not trip-to-trip); mileage kind of sucks - i'm only getting 21.6mpg in mostly local driving (hilly, country roads) though i'm not a hypermiler; hate the low ride height though this is personal preference; can't believe sliding door is rattling already, and closest dealer is over an hour away, not convenient to fix; mazda dealer told me that local ford dealer could do maintenance, but ford says they can't do warranty stuff, so what good is that?; road and wind noise is pretty awful; underpowered - had more pickup in my notoriously sluggish outback

Love My Mazda5!!!
By kbstagg

2012 Mazda 5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

So far I am loving the Mazda5. After extensive research and needing to be able to seat 6. This vehicle had the most bang for the buck, without the horrible SUV gas mileage. Engine could use a few more HP, but really not bad. Acceleration is good and the transmission shift is so smooth. I traded a 2011 Honda Civic for the 2012 Mazda5 and couldn't be happier. I drive about 70% Hwy and am avg 25 mpg with a little over 1000 miles( I was only avg 27 mpg with my Civic). Even has all the bells and whistles, with a great sticker price. It really is fun to drive and handles just like a car. I can't say enough good things about this vehicle.

Bluetooth and steering wheel mounted controls (this is my first car with these), Traction control, 4 wheel disc brakes, brake distribution, Climate control instead of standard a/c, rear a/c, under seat storage in second row. All of this STANDARD, without sticker shock. The only thing that mine didn't come with is Sat Radio installed, but I'm fine with it.

Rear storage is small, but liveable

Car with Mini Van Features
By jmr919

2012 Mazda 5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

We just bought the Mazda5 Touring 2012 and researched this car quite a bit. We did not really want a true minivan however this car was more like a larger economy car with minivan features. So far so good.

The best features are the rear sliding doors. It makes it easier for our son to get in and out. The look of the Mazda5 is great and doesn't look like a full sized minivan.

Suggested improvement would be to offer this with privacy glass as standard. Also incorporate the roof rack system with the car and make the cross rails the add on accessory.