Used 2012 Mazda 5 Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 model:

I love this car but...
By Sara Feinberg

2012 Mazda 5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I saw that all of the reviews were from 2012, and thought I just had to write one, especially since this is now going to be my second clutch replacement in 71,000 miles. Yes, you heard me right, my SECOND clutch. I have never written a review before, but I am so sad about the clutch issue that I wanted to make sure others didn't make the same mistake as me and fall in love with this car only to find out that Mazda has a history with faulty clutches for both their Mazda 3 and Mazda 5 cars, only you hear less about the Mazda 5 cars since there are less of them out there, and more people buy Mazda 3 cars with manual transmission. That being said, both my husband and I have been driving this car for 5 years and loved it until our clutch was totally destroyed at 35,000 miles. We have purchased a Mazda Protege 2003 before this one and replaced the clutch at 120,000 miles, and have driven manual transmission cars for over 20 years. All cars we purchased previously have had clutches replaced at 120,000 miles or so. We got the dealer (after a BIG fight) to replace everything for free (including the master and slave cylinder), and went on our way, hoping it was just a fluke. Well, it wasn't, and now I have to have another big fight to figure out how to solve the issue. We love this car otherwise, especially for the 6 seats and the good MPG. We also love how small it is but how much it can fit into it. We have taken this car to New York and Arizona, all with no problems. We live in the city, and I find it easy to drive and not too big, which is another thing I love. I am hoping I can trade it in for an automatic transmission? Please look into this issue closely before buying this car, and talk it over with the dealer, or if you can, get a second opinion. The only other thing I don't love is the heating and cooling system. The car just can't seem to get cool on a spring or fall day, and sometimes I have to have the air on when it is totally unnecessary, but when driving on the highway, it's too hot to open windows. It gets hot enough, however.

Wishing I bought a Odyssey or Sienna
By joyfulgirl_3

2012 Mazda 5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I bought a 2012 used with 8.5K. It was flawless except for a stain on the front passenger seat which I have been unable to remove. Another stain is on a back seat that I can't remove. Needs better seat fabric- seems cheap. I have 2 kids and am finding that as my baby turned into toddler, and with a 9 year old, we are outgrowing the car with backpacks, soccer stuff etc. If we had another child, there'd be little room for a stroller. No way this car is functional for 4 kids full-time. Since I bought it, the gas mileage has gone down considerably though it's well maintained by Mazda. Great to drive forward...seems to have lots of blind spots in spite of all the windows.

3rd row fold down seats. Slight tint of windows.

Gas mileage, better seat fabric, better air vents for back of the car.

Fantastic vehicle
By troyohchatter

2012 Mazda 5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

The specs tell the story of a very average vehicle. Average power, MPG, etc. But just drive it. Handles great, the seating position is ideal, the automatic drivetrain is near perfect, even for a guy that prefers a manual, and it can seat six adults in a pinch (front and middle rows move up a notch). The vehicle is tight as a drum, low noise level, and overall is tighter than the last Honda we had, a 2003 CR-V. I have no idea why anyone with kids would want doors that are not sliders. Sliding doors do not hit other cars in parking lots and allow easy access to child seats.

Build quality. The door jams don't move in the openings like most Hondas, it's TIGHT! The engine doesn't have to rev to create usable power and the transmission keeps the engine at the ideal RPM. The ergonomics are refreshing, with large knobs and buttons that can be manipulated without taking your eyes off of the road. The road RPM is low and the car will run any speed you choose with little effort. The highest praise I can give the Mazda5 is that if you didn't turn around and look at the room you would swear you were driving a small, sharp handling compact hatch. Oh, and it's a steal, running the same or less than most 4 door hatches.

Really splitting hairs here because this is as happy as I have been with a vehicle in decades. Rear cargo light needs to be located in the roof rather than the side rather than the Mazda3 right side location. Apply some of the Skyactive tech to increase MPG. Cupholders on the outer dashboard like the Honda Fit. More colors. I understand it's difficult to add more equipment like overseas because you get real close to one of the bigger minivans but maybe a few items like the auto dimming mirror (we had it installed as a Mazda accessory.)

Mini Minivan Impulse
By presappl

2012 Mazda 5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

We were planning to buy the CX-7 when we saw the Mazda 5. It was love at first sight! While my husband test drove the car, one of my daughter's and I sat in the very back seats and raised our hands like we were on a roller coaster ride -- we had too much fun on the test drive! It is a cute (love the smiling face), fun car, and I love to tell people about our mini minivan's features. The low car height makes it easier for my daughter with disabilities to get in and out. But, low and longer than expected makes it harder for me to park and has resulted in more scrapes to the front bumper. The third row has come in handy a few times, too. For trips, I prefer larger vehicles.

The Mazda 5 is cute, handles fairly well, and performs decently. The third row has been beneficial for the times when we have extra passengers and the sliding doors have been a great asset getting in and out of the car in tight spaces. I admit I really miss my CRV, but the Mazda 5 tries to give the driver more of an SUV experience with the ability to raise the driver's seat so that you feel like you are driving a car that is higher off the ground. I do love the ability to connect my phone to the radio to play my music, but I have been unable to use the car's controls to switch between tracks.

1. The most unnerving thing I have experienced is the choppy nature of the brakes. It is so much so that I explain to new passengers that the Mazda technicians did check them and said they were fine and that the choppy nature was due to the anti-lock brake system which kicks in as the brakes are pressed more than 2" down. It still doesn't feel right. 2. The Mazda 5 has a small car feel but is actually quite long. Full parking spaces are needed as the car must be pulled up to the line or it will stick out. 3. Cheap materials? Bought in 2011, the tire tread is running thin at 25,000 mile, a few unexpected interior accessory parts are breaking and the seat fabric is difficult to clean.

Great Value
By ivanch

2012 Mazda 5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

The Mazda 5 offers great value for the money. I purchased a brand new 2012 model in March 2013 with a nice discount where the price was comparable to a 2013 Hyundai Elantra. At that price, the extra room of the Mazda 5 made it an unbeatable deal. The Mazda 5 touring is a great vehicle because it fits 6 passengers, it is fun to drive, it is the perfect size for a person who either wants a smaller minivan or a larger car. This vehicle can take kids around but also serves as a nice commuter car with ample room and height when compared to other cars.

Seating capacity for 6. Middle and back seats fold down to give room for cargo space if needed. Cargo net. Bluetooth. Fun to drive.

More power to the transmission when going uphill. Gas mileage could be better.

• SUV