2012 Mazda Mazda5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda5 model:
Fantastic vehicle
By troyohchatter on 12/20/13 19:11 PM (PST)

2012 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

The specs tell the story of a very average vehicle. Average power, MPG, etc. But just drive it. Handles great, the seating position is ideal, the automatic drivetrain is near perfect, even for a guy that prefers a manual, and it can seat six adults in a pinch (front and middle rows move up a notch). The vehicle is tight as a drum, low noise level, and overall is tighter than the last Honda we had, a 2003 CR-V. I have no idea why anyone with kids would want doors that are not sliders. Sliding doors do not hit other cars in parking lots and allow easy access to child seats.

Mini Minivan Impulse
By presappl on 09/18/13 07:41 AM (PDT)

2012 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

We were planning to buy the CX-7 when we saw the Mazda 5. It was love at first sight! While my husband test drove the car, one of my daughter's and I sat in the very back seats and raised our hands like we were on a roller coaster ride -- we had too much fun on the test drive! It is a cute (love the smiling face), fun car, and I love to tell people about our mini minivan's features. The low car height makes it easier for my daughter with disabilities to get in and out. But, low and longer than expected makes it harder for me to park and has resulted in more scrapes to the front bumper. The third row has come in handy a few times, too. For trips, I prefer larger vehicles.

Great Value
By ivanch on 09/09/13 18:20 PM (PDT)

2012 Mazda Mazda5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

The Mazda 5 offers great value for the money. I purchased a brand new 2012 model in March 2013 with a nice discount where the price was comparable to a 2013 Hyundai Elantra. At that price, the extra room of the Mazda 5 made it an unbeatable deal. The Mazda 5 touring is a great vehicle because it fits 6 passengers, it is fun to drive, it is the perfect size for a person who either wants a smaller minivan or a larger car. This vehicle can take kids around but also serves as a nice commuter car with ample room and height when compared to other cars.

Almost Perfect
By oakwind on 05/30/13 04:23 AM (PDT)

2012 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I bought my 2012 Mazda 5 in February of 2013 with 10 miles on the odometer. Upgrading from a '96 Corolla with 166K and 27/34 mpg. I got all the room extra I wanted and more but was disappointed in the mpg (24mpg). I am more of an SUV kind of person rather than a "mini-van". It's size and body style is more inline with the Rav4 & CRV that I looked at with a better price and mpg than they offered. I wished the milage was better and there was a bigger covered center console. I could have gotten this with new Mazda CX-5, but the bench seat didn't fold FLAT and the front 'racing" seats were hard & uncomfortable. Every time I drive ZoomZoom, I find something else about it I like

The practical car for people who like to drive!
By 06scooby on 04/08/13 16:57 PM (PDT)

2012 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

We love our Mazda 5 with the 6-speed. After giving up our manual Subaru Wagon for a full size mini-van after having 2 kids, we came back down to the 5. We are manual transmission people & this was our only option, but we love it. Sporty and fun, and plenty of room for two kids. Could use a little more oomph, but we prefer driving a slow car fast. Great gas mileage & its pretty comfortable despite the factory tires. We would have like a more loaded version, but giving up the goodies was worth 3 rows & a stick shift. I even contacted Mazda & asked with a large deposit if they'd build me a Grand Touring with a 6 speed & they said no! :-(

Great Car For The Money
By fastcars5 on 12/14/12 12:53 PM (PST)

2012 Mazda Mazda5 Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

We bought the Mazda5 mini van as a replacement for a Ford Freestar mini van that was totaled. I miss the Freestar because it was larger but the interior in the mazda is roomy enough for two people on a trip. It was purchased for my wife but I drive it once or twice a week commuting to work, 52 miles round trip. We just drove it to Atlanta and back, 1600 miles without any issues. Gas mileage is decent but not what you would expect from a car this size. We had a DVD player installed for the grand kids and they love it. If you fold down the four rear seats, you can carry a lot of equipment but with the third row seats up, trunk space is very limited.

Great so far, but a few interior irritations...
By birdsnest25 on 07/30/12 15:37 PM (PDT)

2012 Mazda Mazda5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

So, I'm one week into ownership of a 2012 Mazda5 Touring. For the most part I am happy, with a few execution complaints. Build quality seems good, handing and ride quality very good, milage has been great (30+ mpg on highway). Complaints: sunroof is abysmal, only opening to 60% of the cutout -- come on, engineer it to open 100%. Also, there is no front covered storage other than the glove compartment. The fold down center front armrests get in the way of the seat belt buckles and should be replaced with a covered bin. Also, the sound system should be better. For the same price as the lousy sunroof and CD changer in the Mazda5, you get a real sunroof and Bose system in the CX5

On the fence
By maeby101 on 07/22/12 12:50 PM (PDT)

2012 Mazda Mazda5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I've had this car for almost a year and 10.5k miles. There are many things I like about it, but I would trade it in if I could. I was coming from an '05 Outback, which had it's share of problems over 100k miles, but I loved that car from the start. I can't say the same about the 5. I chose this car because of the ability to put an adult in the backseat with our two little kids. But we only need to do this on long trips, which is maybe twice a year. I miss having AWD (though the 5 was fine with winter tires in last year's very mild winter). Something about it just feels cheap. After 10k miles, one of the sliding doors has begun to rattle at slow speeds. That's just wrong.

Excellent minivan
By jastin on 05/20/12 13:57 PM (PDT)

2012 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

Have been driving the mazda 5 for 4 months and absolutely love it. Drive is awesome, little road noise (probably from OEM tire), handle wonderfully. Plenty of space for 4 adults and 2 children as we experienced (the two children rode in the bag seats, plenty of space for them there). A must buy if you want a nice minivan for a fair price, even my wife can stop raving about it.

Absolutely Love my M5
By jdooleyvt on 04/23/12 03:39 AM (PDT)

2012 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

We've spent about 10 months with our Mazda5 already. We have two daughters under the age of two. The car seats, strollers, diaper bags and other bulky kid stuff all fits in the Mazda 5 without any issue. This car is simply a blast to drive. It is easy to forget that you are driving a vehicle with sliding doors. Loading the girls into the back seat is easy and once they start opening the doors themselves I don't have to worry about them putting a dent in another car in the parking lot. This car is perfect size for a family of four and the extra seats are a great option. In mostly city driving I get about 25-26 mpg on a longer trip it gets over 30 mpg. My best is over 35 mpg.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Mazda Mazda5 in WA is:

$148 per month*