2010 Mazda Mazda5 Sport MAZDA5 Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

One more good review for mazda 5
By ras1305

one more good review for mazda 5

Versatile and Fun, but MPG way off!
By gliese876d

2010 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

In general I really love my Mazda5. It is fun to drive and highly versatile for my growing family. What I loved most was that I did not have to give up a manual transmission to get a mini-van, and assumed I could get good gas mileage given the advertised 22-28mpg, especially with a 5-speed. That was an important selling point to me because I was trading in a fuel efficient sedan, and did not want to sacrifice fuel efficiency. But so far this car has yet to deliver anywhere close to the adverstised gas mileage. It has not yet *once* even gotten the lowest value of 22mpg since I purchased the vehicle almost 3 months and 3200 miles ago. It is usually an abyssmal 19.5 mpg.

Favorite Features

That there is a 5-speed transmission option. The ease with which seats can be folded down and rearranged, etc.

Suggested Improvements

Either improve the gas mileage or do not advertise unrealistic values for gas mileage. I feel very misled about this vehicle's fuel efficiency and might still have bought it knowing it has a lower value of closer to 19mpg instead of 22mpg but I would have preferred to have known this prior to purchase. I understand that vehicles need time to break in and get optimum fuel efficiency, but I can't imagine anyone getting anywhere near the upper value of 28mpg when I can't even get 22mpg with a 5-speed, efficient driving, and combined highway and city driving. It seems absolutely implausible to me that the fuel efficiency ratings were accurately determined.

The Best Car Ever
By Mommy of 2

2010 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I got my new mazda5 and is the best purchase ever, my family is normal 2 adults 2 small kids and this van is very good the fuel economy is 30 miles of a gallon my kids get in and out with out help and is very easy to park, enough space for groceries if you are not using the 3 row, and if you using it, still have space for couple things. I recommend this car

Favorite Features

Fuel economy Easy to Park Stile Smooth to drive

Suggested Improvements

Little more space in the cargo area

Mazda5: Nimble and a great value!
By ljmattox

2010 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Our new Mazda5 is filling our need for a versatile, fun-to-drive, and economical vehicle. We chose the Sport model as it's the only version with a stick shift, yet even this most basic version includes automatic climate control, four-wheel disc brakes, alloy wheels, traction control plus stability control, and a plush-enough interior for long trips or evenings out with friends. We'll likely use the 6-person capacity only rarely, but still nice to have, while more frequently 4 people travel with plenty of room in very-adjustable captains chair seating. At its price point, no other competitor includes as much content or room. Or seems as nimble-handling and fun to drive on a daily basis.

Favorite Features

Responsive engine/transmission combo Automatic climate control Huge, well-shaped cargo area(s)

Suggested Improvements

Include 5MT option on higher trim levels Include MP3/WMA/Ipod capability Auto up/down on both front windows

So close to fantastic...
By New5er

2010 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the vehicle just over a month ago to replace a 2005 Elantra (great car btw). Was immediately struck by how great it is to drive; from the driver's seat, you really feel like you're driving a Mazda3, NOT a minivan! Kids loved the mid seats (captains), and considered it a 'cool' looking car. Fantastic view all around, and handles amazingly. After a bit of time, though, some things have started to gnaw: no 'hidden' cubbies to hide GPS's, spare change, etc.; turning on the auto climate control automatically kicks in the a/c (it's January... in Canada... c'mon!). Overall, though, no regrets in getting this vehicle; if you can overlook the lack of cubbies, it'll serve the avg. family well!

Favorite Features

Drives and handles like a compact, easy to park, great view all-around, 5 speed manual shifts beautifully, looks great! More like a stretched hatch than a minivan.

Suggested Improvements

No cubbies to hide things in; rearmost seats can be pretty tight - but you know that going in; climate control kicks in the a/c, even in winter.