By vhabiru on
2009 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)
After about 2 years with the 5, I'm still really happy. We sold the sedan and bought the 5 when we realized we were having a second chlid. It's been really great and at no point have I had a second thought about the purchase. I only wish I had bought the manual and not the auto, but my wife was not keen to have the extra task of shifting in addition to keeping the kids happy. Overall, a solid A. I would definitely buy again.
Favorite Features
1. Sliding doors that don't have motors. Straight forward, convenient, won't break. 2. Nimble. I have no trouble navigating this vehicle in the city. 3. Handling. It's actually fun to drive. It's no GTI, but it will take some decent lateral Gs through the turns. 4. Control. A little bit of #2 and #3 together. The 5's steering is very predictable and responsive. The braking is sharp and quick. That let's me feel like I'm in control of the vehicle and able to quickly dodge to avoid maladies that may come my way. An SUV may seem safer, but good luck stopping in time or swerving out of the way. 5. Looks. It's a sharp looking car. I'm not a fan of the 2011-14 design. 6. Mileage.
Suggested Improvements
1. Internal materials. Don't feel weak but feel plasticky and hastily designed. Function over form, I suppose 2. Road noise. The 5 sits on some low profile tires, and if you don't replace them with premium tires, you get a pretty noisy drive. I don't mind, you get used to it, but you notice for sure. 3. 7 seats. The Premacy (the Japanese version) has a 3rd seat in the 2nd row. That would be nice. With vans, more people is better. 4. Rear seats. This van is good for moving around a yong family, so if you have 4 or more people taller than 4' in the minivan, you're going to be cramped. 5. Cargo space. Not much if you have 6 passengers. Get a rooftop box if you're regularly moving 6.