2009 Mazda 5 Consumer Review: Good value but not a favorite

2009 Mazda 5 - Consumer Review

Sport Passenger Minivan (2.3L 4-cyl. 5-speed Automatic)

Good value but not a favorite
By Anonymous on

2009 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Purchased in Mar 2009 when sales were really slow. Car was built in Sept 08, so it sat on the lot for a while. With carpet mats and the rear bumper cover, just over $16k out the door. Very good value. Interior doesn't match up to what we had in two previous Honda Accords and our 2004 Camry. I purchased snow tires already after reading how junky the OEM tires are; is there a new car that doesn't have junky OEM tires in this price range? Despite 5spd auto, car is sluggish. 22-24 mpg in mixed driving. Manual shift mode is useless. Only had power steering failure happen to us (knock on wood); covered under warranty. Bought this car mostly for value and chaffeuring kids.

Handling and braking are very good. Narrowness of car and sliding doors make it easy to park and enter/exit. Children like car. Cargo area useful for changing kids after day at beach.

Jack and location of spare tire leave much to be desired. Go back to manual climate control. Self-service doesn't look easy on this car, e.g. cabin air filter. Use spin-on oil filter rather than oil filter cartridge (messier). More durable fabric for interior.
By grayvw
on 06/28/11 11:20 AM (PDT)

I'm the original reviewer. I wanted to correct the comment about the cabin air filter; it's actually a 15 minute job. I found a video on Youtube from filterheads.com that showed how to do it. Ironically, I bought a copy of the service manual which was unhelpful in showing how to do it.

By grayvw
on 03/19/15 14:08 PM (PDT)

Follow up at year 6: the high mounted brake light failed because water leaked into the light as well as the connector. I bought this part online from a Mazda dealer for over $100. Not good design! I also ended up replacing our tires last year after 30 to 40k miles (hard to tell exactly since I used snow tires during the winter months).