Used 2009 Mazda 5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Mazda 5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 model:

Great so far
By fatherof1

2009 Mazda 5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

After having our first baby in June and we decided it was time for a family vehicle. She wasn't sold on the 5 at first because she likes her "small, sporty, sedans". I knew all along that what she wants is no longer practical, so I let her test drive the Mazda 3 first. Reality set in when we put the baby seat in the back of the 3. Our leg room was definitely compromised. Next we test drove the 5 and she quickly realized the 5 was most practical for our new family. This was a tough one considering my father is a retired GM employee and am eligible for the GM discount. We wanted a vehicle suits our needs now and is fuel efficient. Unfortunately, GM doesn't carry a vehicle like the 5

Comfortable, roomy (for now), sliding doors, autostick feature, fog lights. Standard side impact airbags are a great plus. Rear seats move and fold easily. Factory carpet floor mats are a nice touch.

Auto-on headlights and daytime running lights would be nice. As would we would have liked to have had traction control available.

Great Mini-Van Alternative!
By Luv2Vacation

2009 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased our Mazda 5 sport about a month ago with a Cash for Clunkers deal trading in a Kia Sedona. I wanted better gas mileage, and we didn't need quite as much space, but I didn't want to give up being able to carry extra people, or lots of stuff. This car was the perfect choice. I took it on a 600 mile trip a few days after I got it. We had no problem fitting my family and all of our stuff in it, and when we got there, we were able to fit the other family traveling with us in for short trips. My worst mpg so far has been 23 mpg around town on the first tank of gas. My best was 33 mpg, mostly highway driving on our trip. I have been averaging around 26 (mostly around town driving).

Sliding doors (so kids can't hit the car next to you), seat position- not as high as a minivan, but way higher than most sedans, flexibility - you can carry people, or stuff.

Bigger glove compartment (it barely holds the manual), some more storage compartments in the front (like a place to put my sunglasses), seat pockets on both back seats, another power point in front (there is only 1, so I have to have a splitter if I need my GPS and I have to charge my phone!)

Great van!
By vanman

2009 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

My wife and I are expecting our second child in a few weeks and we're happy to have found the Mazda5 just in time. It's perfect for our growing family and the price is right! It looks way better than other minivans and is surprisingly roomy inside. I usually don't like driving all that much but I find myself looking for reasons to drive the M5! Oh yeah - and our 2 year old loves it too!

Great handling, manual option with automatic transmission, sliding doors, cargo/seating versatility, and good mileage.

I wish more options were standard for the GS trim level.

Who Needs a Minivan? Not me.
By JRod

2009 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Test drove a KIA Sedona first - roomy, good engine, plenty of utility, but the seats KILLED my lower back, more road noise than expected, drove a little wide, and the fuel consumption turned me off. Tried a KIA Rondo. It's more comfy, but the 3rd row is a joke. Tried the Mazda5 - QUIETER than Sedona, comfy seats, handling is WOW, took the road bumps well, mileage saves me $1200+/yr in gas compared to minivan. Highway is little noisy, but better with whole family. 3rd row is decent with LEGROOM + 2nd row adjusts. Perfect for small family and grandpa can tag along inside. Rides nicer than Mazda3. Kids love the windows. Brakes VERY well. I hear it eats tires, so inflate and rotate!

handling is a dream, 3rd row seat, rear A/C, captain's chairs, split seats in 3rd row, controls in steering wheel, A/C stereo controls are EASY, adjustable 2nd row, hidden cubbies in back, styling, reasonable engine to work on, autoset A/C, ABS, Side Curtain airbags, MILEAGE saves $$. Sliding doors.

thin little tires will likely wear out quickly, glove compartment hits passenger knees, stronger & quieter rear A/C, 2nd Aux input near trunk, hatch button on keyless remote, a little more legroom for 2nd row would make taller people happy, a little more acceleration.

Why aren't more people driving Mazda 5?
By tmca

2009 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased my 09 Mazda 5 one year ago when the first 09's arrived at the dealership. I have 12,000 miles on the car now. Went from a dodge grand caravan to the mazda 5. I needed a vehicle that got better mileage than the van, wanted it to drive more like a car, have flexible seating and be affordable. We are a family of 5. I love the way the car drives/handles. It gets good gas mileage (30 mpg highway)has flexible and comfortable seating. With the hatchback it's even a great car for transporting our 2 big dogs. We will soon be purchasing a roof top carrier--not a great amount of cargo space when the whole family is on a long trip. Why are there not more people driving Mazda 5's? Love Mine!

Clever storage--especially under back seats, flexible seating, climate control

Not a lot of cargo space when using 3rd row seats.