Used 2009 Mazda 5 Consumer Reviews - 83 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Mazda 5

View reviews for a specific 5 model:

Excellent Vehicle
By Sherry

2009 Mazda 5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

The vehicle is very comfortable and has lots of room for adults and teenagers in the front 4 seats. I've also had Grandchildren in it and the space is wonderful. Everyone has more space than they could possibly need. I had a flat and they put a lot of thought into the spare and carrying the flat without the vehicle getting dirty from it. It has a built in area for the spare that doesn't let it touch carpet... and a strap to keep it in place. The alarm let me know I had the flat. I couldn't feel it. Vision is great especially when we go to the mountains with the windows all around. My insurance dropped because it's built safer than the toyota I had. More features than other cars. Pd 15k cash!

Seats have hidden storage to hide a person or store maps or other items. Seats all fold flat and you can carry huge items. Cruise control, keyless entry pwr windows and locks, panic alarm included at such a low price. A/c in the back and thermostat control.

Gas cap should be under license plate. You can't open 1 of the sliding doors when fueling.

One of the Best Buy
By soon2familyof4

2009 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

This is a smart vehicle and one of the best buy in current auto market. I got the sport (A) at a price 2K lower than many midsize sedan sold in my area, like camry, accord, and altima! The 5 is very functional with a combination of minivan and samll SUV. However, I have to admit that some stuff needs to be improved. For example, the front AC wind direction is hard to adjust (I prefer the design of camry in this case).

sliding door; adjustable driver's seat; functional interior design.

The front AC wind direction is hard to adjust. I mean, the adjustable scope is kind of narrow. When I try to direct the wind to my face, the vent is almost close. I have a camry and I prefer its more flexible design.

Great so far
By fatherof1

2009 Mazda 5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

After having our first baby in June and we decided it was time for a family vehicle. She wasn't sold on the 5 at first because she likes her "small, sporty, sedans". I knew all along that what she wants is no longer practical, so I let her test drive the Mazda 3 first. Reality set in when we put the baby seat in the back of the 3. Our leg room was definitely compromised. Next we test drove the 5 and she quickly realized the 5 was most practical for our new family. This was a tough one considering my father is a retired GM employee and am eligible for the GM discount. We wanted a vehicle suits our needs now and is fuel efficient. Unfortunately, GM doesn't carry a vehicle like the 5

Comfortable, roomy (for now), sliding doors, autostick feature, fog lights. Standard side impact airbags are a great plus. Rear seats move and fold easily. Factory carpet floor mats are a nice touch.

Auto-on headlights and daytime running lights would be nice. As would we would have liked to have had traction control available.

Great Mini-Van Alternative!
By Luv2Vacation

2009 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased our Mazda 5 sport about a month ago with a Cash for Clunkers deal trading in a Kia Sedona. I wanted better gas mileage, and we didn't need quite as much space, but I didn't want to give up being able to carry extra people, or lots of stuff. This car was the perfect choice. I took it on a 600 mile trip a few days after I got it. We had no problem fitting my family and all of our stuff in it, and when we got there, we were able to fit the other family traveling with us in for short trips. My worst mpg so far has been 23 mpg around town on the first tank of gas. My best was 33 mpg, mostly highway driving on our trip. I have been averaging around 26 (mostly around town driving).

Sliding doors (so kids can't hit the car next to you), seat position- not as high as a minivan, but way higher than most sedans, flexibility - you can carry people, or stuff.

Bigger glove compartment (it barely holds the manual), some more storage compartments in the front (like a place to put my sunglasses), seat pockets on both back seats, another power point in front (there is only 1, so I have to have a splitter if I need my GPS and I have to charge my phone!)

Great van!
By vanman

2009 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

My wife and I are expecting our second child in a few weeks and we're happy to have found the Mazda5 just in time. It's perfect for our growing family and the price is right! It looks way better than other minivans and is surprisingly roomy inside. I usually don't like driving all that much but I find myself looking for reasons to drive the M5! Oh yeah - and our 2 year old loves it too!

Great handling, manual option with automatic transmission, sliding doors, cargo/seating versatility, and good mileage.

I wish more options were standard for the GS trim level.