2009 Mazda Mazda5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda5 model:
2009 Red Touring
By pat555 on 12/04/08 08:40 AM (PST)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Got the vehicle for 2 weeks. It has plenty of power thanks to the extra gear, and it handles well. It is easy to park, thanks to the large side mirrors. It stops quickly, but with a noticeable nose dip. The sliding doors and the hatch are easy to close. The vehicle accommodates two car seats easily. The back seat is fine for small adult or teenager without a growth spurt.

Large SUV to a Mazda5? Yes it works
By John Q on 11/20/08 19:14 PM (PST)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Traded in my 2002 Dodge Durango for a Copper Red Mica GT. Loved the Durango, but not the 13 MPG. Only 460 miles on "Matt D Mazda" and my expectations have been met. Third row is too tight for adults, but fine for kids up to middle school. MPG running in low to mid 20s with mixed city and highway (22 and 24). I have not had the opportunity for a long drive (300 + miles), but feel advertised 27 MPG for automatic is not only achievable, but beatable. Vehicle feels quick. Some reviews critical of pick up, but I find more than adequate. Excellent ride and comfortable. Perfect vehicle to run errands with the family.

My mini mini van........
By toskeysam on 11/09/08 18:03 PM (PST)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Have fullsize minivan for long trips, but needed small transportation with room for golf stuff et al (for local). The "5" fits the bill and then some. Handles great! Plenty of pep! Fun to drive! Comfortable seating up front. Retired couple, so only grandkids in back rows. Good visibility. Easy entry and exit!

"Enthusiast minivan"
By Mike St. on 11/04/08 16:41 PM (PST)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

We bought ours in September, sold a 2002 Town and Country LXi, traded a 08 Honda Odyssey in on that. We were looking for something affordable, kind of needed a 3rd row seat at times, better gas mileage. Our Odyssey averaged 16mpg, the T&C 17mpg. This car averages 23, we've seen 27+ highway. The 5 speed manual is as easy as it gets to drive. The suspension tuning is 2nd to none, sucks up all bumps with aplomb. Brakes are fantastic, steering response is spot on. As you would expect, acceleration isn't a strong point, it's about power to weight. Can't have MPG and HP it seems. We didn't like the 3's ride.

From a GTI to a Mazda 5 GT
By Dan on 11/04/08 14:41 PM (PST)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

As a father of 4, it was finally time to move on from my little five speed VW GTI. We needed an alternative to my wife's Chevy Suburban that would fit the entire family, while getting decent gas mileage and being fun to drive. The Mazda 5 fits the bill. Got the Grand Touring in Silver with black leather. While the quality of materials is a definite step down from the VW, the car is a great value for the price. This car offers everything I need in a tidy and sporty package: room for six (with some compromises on the part of all), very well equipped for the price, good looks, he "wow, this is cool" factor from my daughters' friends, solid handling. Very happy with my purchase!

A perfect car for a small family
By Timmy on 10/23/08 10:06 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

We are looking for a mini van type of car without the mini van look that will work with our two little boys. That's about the only one on the market now fits our need. We also looked at Kia Rondo, but we don't like the look of the car and the fact it doesn't have the sliding door. We got a base model 5 and installed after market navigation system and DVD. After market DVD player looks much nicer and takes a lot less space. Kids love it. And this is the only car my wife actually loves to drive. We are getting about 23-24 miles in town.

Wow! I'm in the cutest car on the road!
By Joni on 10/22/08 09:58 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I have only owned my "5" for a few weeks but I am in love with this cute thing!! I have always enjoyed driving but now I want to drive all day long. I have only seen 2 others on the road... what is everyone waiting for? It is so easy to get in and out of and I love all the features especially the dash and all the bright, easy-to-read displays. The 6-CD changer is a bonus that I am really enjoying, no more boring radio! I find myself looking around to see if people are watching my car! I drove the Mitsubishi Lancer, the Nissan Versa, the Chevy HHR and just stumbled across the "5"... best fall I ever took! Gotta go drive... bye!

Nice alternative to a full-sized minivan
By Chuck on 09/22/08 10:40 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

We were in the market for a new car that would work with two small children, and were cringing at the thought of buying a large minivan or an SUV. The Mazda5 is a nice alternative at a nice price. We bought the top of the line Grand Touring for less than the base models of a minivan. The car has adequate acceleration, nice handling, and plenty of room for two adults and two kids. The third row works for short trips with adults if needed. I'm 6' 2'' and have tolerated short trips in the third row. There is plenty of headroom, but seats are really just for kids or small adults.

Car of my dreams
By Ampster on 09/05/08 13:14 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Finally got the car I've had my eye on since the summer of 2005 when they first came out. Had been driving a 2007 CX-7 but just wasn't happy--had those famous fuel system issues/CEL 4 times. My 2009 GT was fresh off the truck. I've never had so much fun driving in my life. Took a hit when I traded in a car soon after buying...and I couldn't care less. Our two kids love it, my husband loves it and I plan on holding on to this as long as it still rolls.

Mazda5 Review
By kivo on 09/04/08 08:12 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Haven't put much mileage on it, but so far I love this car. It handles great, and my mileage is good considering I have a scooter lift in the back with the scooter. That's quite a bit of weight.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Mazda Mazda5 in VA is:

$106 per month*