Used 2009 Mazda 5 Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Mazda 5 Minivan

View reviews for a specific 5 model:

tremble
By Cap

2009 Mazda 5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Couple months into my purchase i noticed the car starts to shake. The rear shock then went so i got it replaced but the shaking has continued. It's nothing violent but just noticeable enough to be really annoying, especially for a brand new car. I took it in again and they said i had tar on the tire..Well i have since had the tires rebalanced and rotated but it still shakes..It may even be the engine cause it shakes a little bit at idle..I dont know if its just my mazda or if this is just how the car drives. What i do know is that once the warranty is up, i am getting rid of it cause i don't trust it. It gets about 24-26 mpg btw..

Favorite Features

cargo room Highway MPG

Suggested Improvements

Roof could be lowered so it doesn't drive so top heavy plus it would look nicer. Seats could be a little wider and need more leg room. The brake pedal needs to be another inch or so farther away from the gas pedal. Improve the City MPG

compromise for big rewards
By vicenac

2009 Mazda 5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

To fit 3 rows of seats in this little vehicle, some corners, or knees have to be cut. Make sure you fit in, take full advantage of the telescoping steering wheel and you'll get an exciting vehicle. It's easy to park, VERY nimble and accelerates quickly with the 5 gear transmission. I see it as a Swiss Army Knife. Small and versatile. How many times did I say small? Not enough! I am 6.1 and my wife is 5.7. The driver seat is all the way back. We have an infant carrier behind us, which is way longer than a car seat or regular person, so that seat is also all the way back. There would not be much leg room left in the third row seat. But there are 3 people seating on the right side of the car

Favorite Features

Sliding doors, second row seats - reclining and sliding. The looks and small size (outside). Quietness and nimbleness. Armrests all around.

Suggested Improvements

Make it two inches longer. Find a way to tint windows in the factory. Provide a rear crush test. My daughter is really close to the rear door. ALLOW MANUAL TRANSMISSION ON ALL TRIMS! Bring the roof rack from Japan and Europe!

'09 Mazda 5
By MazdaFan09

2009 Mazda 5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased my Mazda5 Grand Touring about a month ago. I love this car. This is my 4th Mazda and by far my favorite. Build quality is great, transmission is smooth as well as the ride. I was looking for an alternative to an SUV with good MPG and easy to drive. I probably will never use the third row, but the cargo room is great. It has all the features of my Mazda3 with more space and better ride. This is not a minivan, more like a sport wagon with sliding doors. I agree if it were fully loaded it may be a little underpowered. For the two of us around town or roadtrip it's perfect and now there's room for the dogs. There's not an SUV as well as equipped as this for the price.

Favorite Features

Tons of space, Smooth Ride, Auto Transmission, Great SUV Alternative, Ipod Jack, Sirius Radio, Good Ride Height and Visibility. Automatic headlights, wipers and climate control and the sliding doors. I got to keep my favorite features from my Mazda3, the Xenon Headlights and the Mazda Zoom Zoom.

Suggested Improvements

I agree it could use a couple more inches of legroom up front. Tinted windows would help. Add an integrated subwoofer. They could rethink the console. It is low and small without the ability to cover your belongings. Needs better cargo organizer. Add a V6 or Speed Version.

Excellent Vehicle
By Sherry

2009 Mazda 5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

The vehicle is very comfortable and has lots of room for adults and teenagers in the front 4 seats. I've also had Grandchildren in it and the space is wonderful. Everyone has more space than they could possibly need. I had a flat and they put a lot of thought into the spare and carrying the flat without the vehicle getting dirty from it. It has a built in area for the spare that doesn't let it touch carpet... and a strap to keep it in place. The alarm let me know I had the flat. I couldn't feel it. Vision is great especially when we go to the mountains with the windows all around. My insurance dropped because it's built safer than the toyota I had. More features than other cars. Pd 15k cash!

Favorite Features

Seats have hidden storage to hide a person or store maps or other items. Seats all fold flat and you can carry huge items. Cruise control, keyless entry pwr windows and locks, panic alarm included at such a low price. A/c in the back and thermostat control.

Suggested Improvements

Gas cap should be under license plate. You can't open 1 of the sliding doors when fueling.

One of the Best Buy
By soon2familyof4

2009 Mazda 5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

This is a smart vehicle and one of the best buy in current auto market. I got the sport (A) at a price 2K lower than many midsize sedan sold in my area, like camry, accord, and altima! The 5 is very functional with a combination of minivan and samll SUV. However, I have to admit that some stuff needs to be improved. For example, the front AC wind direction is hard to adjust (I prefer the design of camry in this case).

Favorite Features

sliding door; adjustable driver's seat; functional interior design.

Suggested Improvements

The front AC wind direction is hard to adjust. I mean, the adjustable scope is kind of narrow. When I try to direct the wind to my face, the vent is almost close. I have a camry and I prefer its more flexible design.