2009 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda5 model:
Versatile, economical package
By Mazdone on 03/07/09 21:59 PM (PST)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I've only just purchased this vehicle after exhaustive deliberations. While the Mazda 5 is a fine choice as a practical, cheap, do-it-all wagon, construction is borderline flimsy and materials are cheap. My windshield creaks over every bump and the floor, pedals and steering wheel all take turns vibrating as if the car had 100K miles on it and bad tires. I hope to resolve these issues soon...

Small minivan or large station wagon?
By PeterK on 03/05/09 11:22 AM (PST)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

My family of 3 soon to be 4 needed to upgrade from our Civic to be able to carry two car seats some cargo and maybe grandma every now and then. We desperately did not want to end up in a mini van and despite what some categorize Mazda 5 as we love the sliding doors which allow pain-free baby loading into the car seat. Cargo room with the third row folded is sufficient but when the seats are up you can't even fit your groceries. Gas mileage is in the area of 24 MPG with mixed driving, enough power to propel 4 adults and a baby on any road or hill. Highly recommended to those who need larger vehicle but want to remain environmentally friendly.

This car is more than a family mini van!
By ARP on 02/17/09 17:49 PM (PST)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I might be one of the only reviewers I have read (and I've read TONS) that does not have a family yet! I am almost thirty and was looking for a bigger car to accommodate more people in the future but also wanted something portable, fun to drive, with great gas mileage. I stumbled onto this car at the Mazda dealership and loved it. I had been interested in a Honda Fit, CRV, or a RAV4. This car was the perfect compromise. My test drive proved this car to be much superior than those I had test driven. My only fear was that I would buy a "mini van." I think this hip car needs its own category. Perhaps call it a giant hatch back. Either way, I love it, and it suits my needs.

versatile mini
By tadpole on 02/15/09 14:45 PM (PST)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I drove this car for about a month. The mileage for the first trip was weird. On the 400 miles highway trip, I got 37 mpg. This is far exceeded the manufacturer claim. On the last leg of the trip about 90 miles a got 22 mpg. This is really weird since it's all on highway with the same road and traffic condition. I cannot explain the wide discrepancy. The second trip on the same road, the mileage was about 33 mpg. The interior material is a bit on the cheap side. The plastic scratches easily and the cloth material is not up to standard with Honda or Toyota. I got this for $17.2k, I am not sure this is a good deal.

Basketball Mom finds the right vehicle!
By MomsMazda on 02/10/09 21:43 PM (PST)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

After a lot of research, and looking and driving everything...I stumbled upon a 2009 Mazda5! Roomy, fun to drive, great mileage, cool looking, fantastic level of standard equipment, seats 6 comfortably, plus equipment. I couldn't find a single thing wrong with it, everything was perfect, the fit and finish, paint, assembly. The stereo is supurb, the automatic rain sensing wipers are cool, handling is great, too!

Most Practical Vehical
By Gordon on 02/05/09 14:55 PM (PST)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Our other cars are Toyota Sienna and Honda Fit. The Mazda5 has most of "Best" plus more. It is as fun as the fit and as practical as the Sienna. The other car Mfg has them but they are afraid of image. We Mazda 5 owners like the image this car has.

Our 2nd Mazda5!
By GottaLoveIt! on 12/21/08 11:58 AM (PST)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

We bought our 2007 Mazda5 afer running into it at the dealership, and not knowing what the heck it was. We were looking at the MPV van. We were amazed at the versitility, my wife was able to take my daughters basket ball high school team members to games in comfort, even tho some were pretty tall. The last row was a bit limited in the leg room area, but smaller girls did fine! It ngot great mileage, loads of cargo room (Christmas trees!) and build quality 2nd to none!

Fun Factor Vehicle
By Drey230 on 12/18/08 14:31 PM (PST)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

My wife and I have a newborn. We needed a second car besides our Corolla and agreed that the main requirement of a new car was the fun factor. This car is a lot of fun from playing musical chairs between cargo, people, and space, it's cool. The ride is pretty cool too! I agree with most that a few more horses under the hood would be nice, but I'm OK because I like my gas mileage low. Handles well & looks great! No one ever knows what a Mazda5 is when you tell them but once they see it and ride in it, they become fans! We are young parents and knew this was a great car for our family but it's also a hit with friends parents night off. Who said you have to drive a Scion or Mini to be cool these days.

Perfect Car?
By supercane on 12/17/08 07:21 AM (PST)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Xenon headlights. Bluetooth. Auto rain sensing wipers. Heated seats. Room for 6. Low 20's sticker. Is there a better vehicle on the market? We purchased our Mazda 5 last month and have not only loved the car but enjoyed tanks averaging above 30 mpg around town. Our growing family fits perfectly, our four dogs love the folded down cargo area, and we just came home from Vegas through snow with the vehicle handling perfectly. Notwithstanding some minor build quality issues, is is the best new vehicle we have owned in the last five years - and we have purchased 6. I recommend this vehicle to anyone. Best of luck trying to find a better overall value.

A Great Minivan/Crossover
By Robert G. on 12/11/08 21:04 PM (PST)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Drives great, has sufficient power for everyday driving, quiet ride and no engine noise, versatile seating with many options. Japanese built with Japanese parts, nice stereo and it comes fully loaded with all the features I needed. Sliding doors are a blessing with four year old twins. Alloy wheels with low profile tires look sharp. Looks very attractive inside and out. For a purchase price of $16,888 I can't be any happier or satisfied.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan in VA is:

$106 per month*