Used 2009 Mazda 5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Mazda 5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 model:

Beats a minivan/SUV for vacation!
By Wiseguy

2009 Mazda 5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Just returned to OH from SC after a week vacation. Was an excellent ride going through the WV & VA mountains, sailing along highways with fast traffic flow. The ride was excellent in all conditions & speeds. Averaged around 30 MPG. Traveling with a 14- & 6-year old + 2 adults makes interesting packing but got all in and had view lines out the back still. Underseat stowage in the middle seats is excellent. The flat floor in 2nd row allows a bag on the floor for laptops, MP3's, etc. easy. Even sustained a rear-end hit from another car on HWY with only minor corner fender damage - no injuries. With bags out of car, 3rd row seating was useful for grandparents who met us there.

Handling, Utility (storage, 3rd row seats), sliding doors, sight lines.

Winter handling... does not bite well when in low gear in snow/ice (torque issue?) when you start. Nearly got stuck in driveway with low rise and 2" of snow. Easy to "spin out" tires in all conditions if you stomp on gas from stop.

Engine problems
By cosmin

2009 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I am totally disappointed about 2.3 L engine . I've done 12,000 km and before to go to second service I just notice the fact that the oil level was very low. Folks please check the oil level after oil replacement and sometime after next 4000 km . Mazda engine is huge on oil consumption . As soon as you pass the warranty around 100,000 be prepare for orange check engine light to go off. The service manager told me that this is normal! O lord Have mercy! End the guy is still a service manager! Brand new engine taking 1 liter of oil every 5000 km. Guys, take a second thought before to buy this car.

!

uncontrolled steering wheel
By egay

2009 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I love my mazda 5, roomie, like the art of engineering,not speedy but good to travel with the family, gas economical,and easy to drive too. But the problem i had encounter was when my car was on park with my engine running for 30 mins and just a sudden my steering wheel got tight with the steering wheel emergency sign went off,how about if it happens when my car was running on a speed it won't be safe for me and to my family.Talked to my dealer and have it check for safety tom.Just also found out that i was the second person who experienced the same thing on mazda 5.

Not a winter vehicle!!
By Zepppo

2009 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

WE bought the Mazda 5 as it offers 6 seats without the bulk of a real mini-van. The design of the vehicle is good, but it feels a little "flimsy" compared to our Honda CRV. Gas mileage is good (again, compared to a minivan) and it's a pretty peppy ride. The biggest problem is driving on snow and ice, however (I live in AB,Canada). To compensate for the lack of oomph Mazda designed the manual gearbox with very "short" gears. First gear has so much torque that you can barely start moving without the wheels spinning! We bought Michelin X-Ice2 tires which helped a bit, but it's still not fun driving this vehicle on snow and ice. For a winter environment this is definitely not the right choice

Seats for 6, sliding doors, gas mileage, overall size of vehicle, cargo versatility

More HP for the engine so the manual transmission works for winter/wet roads too! more beefier built, not as flimsy. Sound insulate interior

Love my Fun to Drive Mazda5!!
By NJMommy

2009 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Have had the Mazda5 for a year now w/18,000 miles on it. Went from a '98 Bonneville, and thought the luxury and space would be missed, but it is amazing how well this little package is put together. Handles my commute excellent, as well as 2 long road trips this year. We live in Jersey and went to both Bar Harbor & Myrtle Beach and we're very impressed with how comfortable the ride was and the Hwy MPG (we were getting 32 - 34 MPG on 95 once we got out of the DC area traffic and that was at 75MPH with AC! We are a family of 3, so it is plenty of room for us. I did so much research before making this purchase, and I couldn't be happier, it was the best all around choice by far. Zoom Zoom!

4 Captain's chairs, radio controls on steering wheel, jack for MP3 player, 3rd row seat, cargo room, 6 cup holders, AWESOME stereo/speakers, sporty look, feel, and drive, all around my favorite car ever!

there are a few...but very minor, I wish the 2nd auxiliary jack was in the second row instead of all the way in the back...it is a pain when we have to plug in the GPS and the DVD Player. My husband is 6'1 and wishes there was just a little more leg room and longer arm rest, but that is it!!!!