Used 2009 Mazda 5 Consumer Reviews - 83 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Mazda 5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 model:

Still Love to drive my MAzda 5
By Mazda5 lover

2009 Mazda 5 Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I got my Mazda 5 in October, 2009, and I have already put 21,000 miles on it. Just love to drive it everyday. Our 6 and 11 yr old girls particularly love the bucket seats that my 5 comes with. They said they prefer riding in my 5 than my wife's Lexus GS. Good acceleration and I average about 26-28 mpg which is a lot better than the SUV that I traded in. I have driven several different Japanese made vehicles in the past years, but this is my first Mazda. I truly believe that Mazda do make great cars like the old RX7s and Miata (which I had only driven, but never owned). I am planning to put in 150,000 miles on my 5 before even thinking about getting another car.

a tiny bit much of wind and road noise. Consider power sliding doors since there are no after market add on on these.

Wish I had gotten it sooner!
By baumer3

2009 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I am absolutely thrilled with this car! I've only had it a few days but I wish I had gotten it 2 years ago when my baby was an infant. By far, the best thing about this vehicle is the sliding doors and second row bucket seats. Access to the carseat is perfect and it is so easy to get the baby in and out. Having bucket seats (with armrests) gives plenty of elbow room. The center console in the second row is also great for feeding the baby in the car. Love the storage compartment under the seats too. I drove it on a 4 hour trip and loved the armrest and steering wheel controls. The hatchback allows easy access (already changed the baby back there!). Love this car!

Sliding doors, armrests and back row.

Haven't come across anything yet!

Beats a minivan/SUV for vacation!
By Wiseguy

2009 Mazda 5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Just returned to OH from SC after a week vacation. Was an excellent ride going through the WV & VA mountains, sailing along highways with fast traffic flow. The ride was excellent in all conditions & speeds. Averaged around 30 MPG. Traveling with a 14- & 6-year old + 2 adults makes interesting packing but got all in and had view lines out the back still. Underseat stowage in the middle seats is excellent. The flat floor in 2nd row allows a bag on the floor for laptops, MP3's, etc. easy. Even sustained a rear-end hit from another car on HWY with only minor corner fender damage - no injuries. With bags out of car, 3rd row seating was useful for grandparents who met us there.

Handling, Utility (storage, 3rd row seats), sliding doors, sight lines.

Winter handling... does not bite well when in low gear in snow/ice (torque issue?) when you start. Nearly got stuck in driveway with low rise and 2" of snow. Easy to "spin out" tires in all conditions if you stomp on gas from stop.

Engine problems
By cosmin

2009 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I am totally disappointed about 2.3 L engine . I've done 12,000 km and before to go to second service I just notice the fact that the oil level was very low. Folks please check the oil level after oil replacement and sometime after next 4000 km . Mazda engine is huge on oil consumption . As soon as you pass the warranty around 100,000 be prepare for orange check engine light to go off. The service manager told me that this is normal! O lord Have mercy! End the guy is still a service manager! Brand new engine taking 1 liter of oil every 5000 km. Guys, take a second thought before to buy this car.

!

uncontrolled steering wheel
By egay

2009 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I love my mazda 5, roomie, like the art of engineering,not speedy but good to travel with the family, gas economical,and easy to drive too. But the problem i had encounter was when my car was on park with my engine running for 30 mins and just a sudden my steering wheel got tight with the steering wheel emergency sign went off,how about if it happens when my car was running on a speed it won't be safe for me and to my family.Talked to my dealer and have it check for safety tom.Just also found out that i was the second person who experienced the same thing on mazda 5.