2009 Mazda Mazda5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda5 model:
Good Van But
By Jeremy on 06/04/09 10:19 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

The Mazda 5 is the MINI Van everyone wants to love, my wife and were shopping for a MINI van and we test drove the Mazda 5 3 times plus borrowed my mothers Mazda 5 for a week and found that the Van wobbles at highway speed causing motion sickness problems for the passengers. The Mazda 3 has the same backend wobble as the Mazda 5 except it is more pronounced in the 5. We found that the wobble is only noticeable at highway speeds, however 90% of our driving is highway, in short this wasnÂ’t the van for us.

Great Car for a small family!!
By skgilly on 06/01/09 18:56 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

We bought this car in Colorado and drove it Arkansas. It was great for me and my family. We have two kids (3.5, and 10 months). My wife sat comfortably in the back with the kid and luggage. We really packed this car down and still handled well. There are many way to configure the car and sitting six for short distances is great. For all the mini van haters the sliding doors are great for getting the kids in and out. Handling is great for a car this size. Overall, great car for the money. Mazda has done well. We are really enjoying this purchase.

It's practically perfect
By ccg on 05/11/09 08:39 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Even though the car had good reviews, I didn't want to drive it because, well, it's a minivan. So glad I saw it in person. It's so much cuter than a big ol' behemoth "mini" van. It's perfect. I'm hauling kids to college in 2 short years and I wanted something small enough to park and maneuver, but with room for "stuff." I knew sliders were great for little kids, but it didn't occur to me until I took my mom to church how nice that access is for an elderly person, too. My in town mileage has been around 24.5 mpg. The "auto" climate control is taking some getting used to.

A minivan that is fun to drive!
By Scott on 05/01/09 11:52 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I was pretty skeptical that I would ever like a minivan, but we love our Mazda 5. I am amazed by how well it handles and how fun it is to drive. It doesn't have that big bloated feel and look of other minivans. We get better fuel economy than quoted for this vehicle. The good fuel efficiency and availability of a manual transmission is what sold us on this vehicle, but we have been equally impressed with the utility and ride quality. It has a very nimble feel to it that makes you forget you are driving a van.

Impressive!!
By marla on 04/24/09 05:10 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I am really enjoying driving this car. It is fun and gas saving!! I love how tight the steering is.

Excellent choice for smart buyers!
By Georgiana Fratiloiu on 04/06/09 13:55 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Excellent car overall. Nice interior, comfortable, very pleasant exterior design, good audio system. We love it.

Affordable without much sacrifice
By Familyof5 on 04/06/09 07:43 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

We have 3 kids and couldn't see affording $30,000+ for a new minivan or a cross-over. This car was much more affordable and will cost much less to maintain. It rides like a car, but has a interior layout like a minivan. We won't be able to tow a boat or carry an 8' wide piece of plywood, but we never did when we had that capability with our previous minivans. The kids love it, but we haven't taken the first vacation in it yet, so we may be sacrificing on space and power when the car gets fully loaded with luggage. I'm a tall guy and I push the limits on most cars. Leg room and head room could be better, but I fit and I like the feel when I drive.

Great Value
By st on 04/01/09 05:52 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I wanted to get a new sedan but also wanted to carry lots of luggage. It fit the bill. It is a great, comfortable people/ items mover. and Touring comes with packages that is only found in expensive cars. Overall love it for what it does.

Deal of the Century
By dontknomuch on 03/17/09 09:45 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I bought an '09 Sport model with AT and pearl paint for $17995. My wife just loves the car...the four kids fit with no problem. The gas mileage is fantastic.

Great teenyvan
By Jay_Gloab on 03/13/09 11:50 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I just got this car yesterday, but I had another 5 as a loaner for a week before that so I'm pretty acquainted with the car's peculiarities at this point. We were looking at everything from small hatchbacks like the Honda Fit and Toyota Matrix to full-size minivans such as the Odyssey and Sienna, but the Mazda5 seemed like the perfect fit for us: it has plenty of space for a small family (up to 2 kids easily; 3 would be fine until you have to go for a long trip), it's relatively sporty and maneuverable, and it's much more fuel- efficient than minivans. The kicker -- it's the only thing remotely minivan- like that offers a manual transmission.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Mazda Mazda5 in VA is:

$106 per month*