2009 Mazda Mazda5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda5 model:
Best Buy
By LEE on 07/30/09 10:34 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Just picked up 2009 Touring a week ago. Love the utility for it's size. Have 2 children but no longer need to carry baby stuff. Need 3rd row seats once in a while. Drives like a car and is much better looking then a Kia Rondo. Like the rear doors.

I Heart My Mazda5!
By lostshadows on 07/24/09 18:33 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Just drove it off the lot this afternoon but have test drove it and been eyeing this car for almost 2 years! What can I say...I LOVE it! We have two children and will need to carpool in the fall. The kids love the captains seats and the fact that they can move around and stand up in the car when getting into their car seats. I love the gas mileage, flexibility, and 3rd row. I've read reviews that mention that it's underpowered and the interior feels a bit cheap. I'm no car expert but as a mom of two who travels around town with her kids, it is perfect and super peppy for me. Plus, the interior doesn't seem cheap at all. I'm loving every bit of this car!

Unique and fun to drive
By New to Mazda on 07/23/09 11:41 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

We have had our 5 since February and stumbled upon it accidentally after driving Hondas and Acuras forever! The CRV felt too big, the Acura RSX was too pricey, but the Mazda 5 was just right! Smooth ride, easy to maneuver, great sound system, good gas mileage and very comfortable. Haven't had a minute's regret even when next to the CRV and Acura on the road. Thought it would pain my heart, but I LOVE this car. Way to go, Mazda!

I love my Mazda 5!
By kelbrat on 07/21/09 09:06 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

... and here's why. I've been researching a new car for about a year. Needed something for my 2 boys and I to get around town in. I went in knowing it would be small, and it is, and that's what's great. Drives like a car, looks like a Matrix, but better, and adds the convenience of sliding doors. The back seats are Captain's chairs, which makes getting to the third row a breeze. Adults CAN fit in the third row easily if they're not too tall, so don't let that deter you. I paid 18,600 for my Touring, and you can't get a six-seater for any less. No power driver's seat, but it's adjustable 3 ways so you can get it fairly comfortable. So cute!

the new crossover type
By shawnicus on 07/20/09 16:26 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

We had a sports sedan that just wasn't keeping up with the needs of a family, but wanted to keep with a manual transmission. This was the only option out there with a 3rd row of seats and we're very happy with it. Plenty of cargo space, great safety features, peppy little engine that is seat-of-the-pants fun to drive, good gas mileage, and fantastic brakes. I always thought the crossover class was going in the wrong direction: crossing a car and a SUV. This is a cross between a Mazda3 5-door and a van: which surprisingly ends up with a "best of a worlds" feel.

Fun to Drive, Excellent Value
By Vicki on 07/19/09 09:02 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

This a fun car to drive, easy to park. I like to be able to haul "stuff" and people. It works well with my teenager on trips, also easy for my mom to get in and out of. I am a fan of the captian seats and negotiated leather seats in my deal for ease of maintenance. Have taken 2 road trips, the seats could be a little more cushy driving for 12+hours and do not leave the AC in the rotating interior air position or the AC will "freeze up" and not work. You have to then let it "unfreeze." If I had read the owners manual more closely, it is in there. I can't see spending 25-30K on a vehicle, though not perfect, I think this is a great deal. I hope it lasts for many years to come.

Good, Not Amazing
By miniMomma on 06/28/09 23:35 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I am really enjoying our new Mazda5, but I am not overly amazed. It is a very small mini van. Our small, umbrella stroller doesn't even fit! I know we will out grow this soon, but it is fun for now.

Downsized from a Chevy Minivan
By Linda M. on 06/26/09 07:24 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

We purchased this a week ago, and so far, so good. I got tired of lugging around a big minivan at 15mpg local, just to do mostly local errands, little league, lugging furniture from IKEA, etc. My family of 3 takes a 3000 mile road trip every year or two, and I did not want to sacrifice the comfort & cargo area of a van. The Mazda 5 seems like the perfect solution. Better mileage, sleeker (drives more like a wagon than a van) and I don't have to give up the cargo space I am used to having. I have used less than half a tank of gas so far, and cannot yet evaluate the true mileage. Much easier to park than a full size van.

Wundercar !!!
By Chris DeHaven on 06/10/09 12:20 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I WAS a Saab fanantic until GM destroyed the brand. My last was a '99. I bought and older MPV. I found myself driving the MPV mostly as I have a 4yo grandson who lives with me and 2 others I drive a lot. I passed down the MPV to my daughter and bought the 5. I was sure I would like it as it is a form follows function design...remember when Saabs were?? This car is an incredible performer with decent finish at a very low price. I was waiting to write this until I returned from a 6 day/1700 mi trip with my 4 year old. I am 6'2" and 280+# and drove all those miles in reasonable comfort. It averaged 26mpg at 80mph. The bluetooth is simple and works well as well as all the other gadgets.

Good Van But
By Jeremy on 06/04/09 10:19 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

The Mazda 5 is the MINI Van everyone wants to love, my wife and were shopping for a MINI van and we test drove the Mazda 5 3 times plus borrowed my mothers Mazda 5 for a week and found that the Van wobbles at highway speed causing motion sickness problems for the passengers. The Mazda 3 has the same backend wobble as the Mazda 5 except it is more pronounced in the 5. We found that the wobble is only noticeable at highway speeds, however 90% of our driving is highway, in short this wasnÂ’t the van for us.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Mazda Mazda5 in NJ is:

$183 per month*