2009 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda5 model:
compromise for big rewards
By vicenac on 11/19/09 14:09 PM (PST)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

To fit 3 rows of seats in this little vehicle, some corners, or knees have to be cut. Make sure you fit in, take full advantage of the telescoping steering wheel and you'll get an exciting vehicle. It's easy to park, VERY nimble and accelerates quickly with the 5 gear transmission. I see it as a Swiss Army Knife. Small and versatile. How many times did I say small? Not enough! I am 6.1 and my wife is 5.7. The driver seat is all the way back. We have an infant carrier behind us, which is way longer than a car seat or regular person, so that seat is also all the way back. There would not be much leg room left in the third row seat. But there are 3 people seating on the right side of the car

'09 Mazda 5
By MazdaFan09 on 11/09/09 21:14 PM (PST)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased my Mazda5 Grand Touring about a month ago. I love this car. This is my 4th Mazda and by far my favorite. Build quality is great, transmission is smooth as well as the ride. I was looking for an alternative to an SUV with good MPG and easy to drive. I probably will never use the third row, but the cargo room is great. It has all the features of my Mazda3 with more space and better ride. This is not a minivan, more like a sport wagon with sliding doors. I agree if it were fully loaded it may be a little underpowered. For the two of us around town or roadtrip it's perfect and now there's room for the dogs. There's not an SUV as well as equipped as this for the price.

Excellent Vehicle
By Sherry on 10/28/09 04:52 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

The vehicle is very comfortable and has lots of room for adults and teenagers in the front 4 seats. I've also had Grandchildren in it and the space is wonderful. Everyone has more space than they could possibly need. I had a flat and they put a lot of thought into the spare and carrying the flat without the vehicle getting dirty from it. It has a built in area for the spare that doesn't let it touch carpet... and a strap to keep it in place. The alarm let me know I had the flat. I couldn't feel it. Vision is great especially when we go to the mountains with the windows all around. My insurance dropped because it's built safer than the toyota I had. More features than other cars. Pd 15k cash!

One of the Best Buy
By soon2familyof4 on 10/13/09 13:40 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

This is a smart vehicle and one of the best buy in current auto market. I got the sport (A) at a price 2K lower than many midsize sedan sold in my area, like camry, accord, and altima! The 5 is very functional with a combination of minivan and samll SUV. However, I have to admit that some stuff needs to be improved. For example, the front AC wind direction is hard to adjust (I prefer the design of camry in this case).

Great so far
By fatherof1 on 09/26/09 19:03 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

After having our first baby in June and we decided it was time for a family vehicle. She wasn't sold on the 5 at first because she likes her "small, sporty, sedans". I knew all along that what she wants is no longer practical, so I let her test drive the Mazda 3 first. Reality set in when we put the baby seat in the back of the 3. Our leg room was definitely compromised. Next we test drove the 5 and she quickly realized the 5 was most practical for our new family. This was a tough one considering my father is a retired GM employee and am eligible for the GM discount. We wanted a vehicle suits our needs now and is fuel efficient. Unfortunately, GM doesn't carry a vehicle like the 5

Great Mini-Van Alternative!
By Luv2Vacation on 09/26/09 11:35 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased our Mazda 5 sport about a month ago with a Cash for Clunkers deal trading in a Kia Sedona. I wanted better gas mileage, and we didn't need quite as much space, but I didn't want to give up being able to carry extra people, or lots of stuff. This car was the perfect choice. I took it on a 600 mile trip a few days after I got it. We had no problem fitting my family and all of our stuff in it, and when we got there, we were able to fit the other family traveling with us in for short trips. My worst mpg so far has been 23 mpg around town on the first tank of gas. My best was 33 mpg, mostly highway driving on our trip. I have been averaging around 26 (mostly around town driving).

Great van!
By vanman on 09/02/09 13:13 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

My wife and I are expecting our second child in a few weeks and we're happy to have found the Mazda5 just in time. It's perfect for our growing family and the price is right! It looks way better than other minivans and is surprisingly roomy inside. I usually don't like driving all that much but I find myself looking for reasons to drive the M5! Oh yeah - and our 2 year old loves it too!

Who Needs a Minivan? Not me.
By JRod on 08/18/09 20:59 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Test drove a KIA Sedona first - roomy, good engine, plenty of utility, but the seats KILLED my lower back, more road noise than expected, drove a little wide, and the fuel consumption turned me off. Tried a KIA Rondo. It's more comfy, but the 3rd row is a joke. Tried the Mazda5 - QUIETER than Sedona, comfy seats, handling is WOW, took the road bumps well, mileage saves me $1200+/yr in gas compared to minivan. Highway is little noisy, but better with whole family. 3rd row is decent with LEGROOM + 2nd row adjusts. Perfect for small family and grandpa can tag along inside. Rides nicer than Mazda3. Kids love the windows. Brakes VERY well. I hear it eats tires, so inflate and rotate!

Why aren't more people driving Mazda 5?
By tmca on 08/15/09 19:46 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased my 09 Mazda 5 one year ago when the first 09's arrived at the dealership. I have 12,000 miles on the car now. Went from a dodge grand caravan to the mazda 5. I needed a vehicle that got better mileage than the van, wanted it to drive more like a car, have flexible seating and be affordable. We are a family of 5. I love the way the car drives/handles. It gets good gas mileage (30 mpg highway)has flexible and comfortable seating. With the hatchback it's even a great car for transporting our 2 big dogs. We will soon be purchasing a roof top carrier--not a great amount of cargo space when the whole family is on a long trip. Why are there not more people driving Mazda 5's? Love Mine!

Way to go Mazda!
By Mary Pillow on 08/08/09 14:37 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I love this vehicle. Great for mom's with kids. Lots of space. Great price!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan in VA is:

$106 per month*