Used 2009 Mazda Mazda5 Grand Touring MAZDA5 Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
Disappointing build quality
By doccarman

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Bought the 5 for its versatility and fun to drive factor. However, the build quality stinks and has soured me on the car. I'll dismiss the fact that the factory tires were shot after 20K as being just the typical cheap OEM tires. What I can't forgive is: -Power steering pump failing -Constant companionship of suspension squeaks and rattles -Cracking and squeaking sounds from windshield on cold days -Blown left rear strut at 28K -Blow right rear strut at 35K -Broken gas cap (stuck on car with nearly empty tank) at 15K -Bluetooth that fails to connect 90% of the time, despite several attempts at reset -Seat heaters with two settings - either on or off Longer I keep it, the less I like it.

Favorite Features

Versatility of interior, styling, handling (when struts aren't blown).

Suggested Improvements

Higher quality materials and equipment, +20 HP, but keep 4 cyl, seat heaters with at least two settings - high and low, bluetooth that works, less road noise, speakers that don't buzz with the slightest bass.

Great except for two defects...
By brammer

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

The vehicle is fun to drive and has versatile seating / storage configurations. Mileage is reasonable. Two big drawbacks though, the rear suspension and the rear bushings. At 50000 km of mostly single passenger commuting, we are already on our third set of rear shocks. The bushings (at least that's what I think they are) creak very loudly in warm weather. It sounds like a horse drawn wagon lumbering down a dirt road.

Favorite Features

Seating flexibility

Suggested Improvements

Mazda should admit that the shocks were under-designed for the Mazda 5 and replace them with something more robust.

impressive value for the money
By Missouri Mule

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

compared to Rondo and selected Mazda based on past experience with MPV. Great value for money considering flexibility and features; kids love the folding table in second row, hidden storage under seat is smart, could use another inch of legroom for my left leg but vehicle is still comfortable to drive; vehicle is primary driven by my wife who just loves the car. Mileage is strong, have gotten as high as 31 mpg on highway; hills of Ozarks bring mileage down but still does very well. would prefer 16 inch wheels and maybe an inch taller, but hard to complain about the value. Structure seems tight and well built. very easy to load and unload. road noise better than mpv, which was reliable2

Favorite Features

seat comfort, easy of folding seats, underseat hidden storage, table, mileage, reliability, acceleration from stop, cornering, ride and especially sliding doors, they are very practical, still laugh at the I can't be seen in a minivan with sliding doors crowd, they are so much easier.

Suggested Improvements

smaller tire for perhaps smoother ride, raise suspension an inch or so for better visibility and ease of entry, do not like gimmicky rocker panel plastic strip in higher level models, this vehicle isn't THAT sporty, how about a Mazda 4.5 without the 3rd row seat and a bit more storage?

Exactly What I wanted
By spewgilist

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I bought my 2009 Mazda 5 GT new after stumbling on the model while looking for a car that would provide a comfortable ride for 4 adults and let me carry all the things for which I normally have to have a mini-van. I wanted sliding rear doors, I wanted captain's chairs, I wanted a leather interior and heated seats and a few other amenities to which I have become accustomed and I was able to get them all in the GT for around $10-$15K less than a regular minivan. I've had the car for 4 years now and I have put over 76K miles on it and I still love it and find it an incredibly versatile and reliable car.

Favorite Features

Climate control DVD navigation Sound system Bluetooth connectivity heated seats heated side mirrors

Suggested Improvements

Privacy glass Powered front seats

Nearly perfect for my purpose
By MindDrive

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I needed a good vehicle, nothing fancy, that would fit my large music keyboards, but not be a monster truck. Mazda 5 is a "micro-minivan" (hip term for station wagon.) It has room for two adults up front, 2 adults in the back (typical nonsense about a 3rd adult in the back, no way,) and 2 kids all the way in the back. The 4 back seats fold down for a lot of cargo room. All this and it still drives like a car. It is well configured overall.

Favorite Features

I never cared about "fun-to-drive", until now! Great handling, tight turning radius, good acceleration and braking. Also, runs quiet, fuel efficient, very good sound system (no satellite,) great dealer & service department.

Suggested Improvements

The automatic climate control is a disaster! The thing seems to have its own agenda that is contrary to the owner's manual. More legroom would be helpful, sunroof is a little small but solid.