2009 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda5 model:
I like it, but with reservations
By jay_gloab on 07/09/13 12:41 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Overall I like but don't love this car. I like its compact dimensions but wish it was bigger inside. I think when it's paid off I'm going to get a small four-door economy car to be my daily driver and a used full-size minivan for when I need to haul more people or more stuff. It's easy and relatively fun to drive, and fairly economical - I get ~30mpg on the highway. It has been mostly reliable, but I've just had to have the rear shocks replaced for the second time in under 50,000 miles, which appears to be a common problem.

Warranty's over
By m5indg on 12/08/12 14:55 PM (PST)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My wife and I loved this car when we bought it and still love to drive it. 3 years old now with 25k mostly around town miles on it and and experiencing some of the same problems that others have posted. OEM tires need replacing. Right rear shock blew just recently. Clutch engages very high on the pedal and will probably need replacing soon. Plus the car has always pulled to the right even after it was aligned and re-aligned. Other than these issues, we still find the car very functional for carting the kids around and taking family trips. My wife still loves it, but I'm starting to think that it may be come a money pit in the next few years.

Expected better gas mileage.
By starbright on 06/03/11 15:13 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

We have had our Mazda 5 for 2 yrs now. We aren't happy with the car. The gas mileage is very poor-only 23 mpg highway and we live in the Canadian Prairies so don't have alot of hills. The cable for the manual shift went out on me right before I went on the highway-scarey!! It was covered and we were told it was "unusual". Then, my power steering pump went as I was driving into the Mazda car lot to find out about a strange noise I had. The service center was very kind and replaced it right away at no charge since there was a recall (get yours replaced!). I love the concept of the car. But we must have a 'dud' and are looking at replacing it soon.

Ok for what it is
By blue on 11/15/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

If you are looking for a functional second vehicle this is a great option. Minivan features without a minivan feel. Build quality is definitely cheap, and absolutely consider getting this only under warranty. Driver comfort is an issue for me (6'2"), my large foot (size 15) does not fit on the gas pedal, i need to push it with my toe. It's my wife's car and she is 5'10 and loves the car. In cold weather (-20C), intake manifold control runners were getting stuck due to cheap plastic composite materials that seem to be unavoidable these days. In hot weather, sway bar bushings caused terrible creaking, just annoying noise. Excellent service from dealer/Mazda for both issues

The Perfect car for us!
By rough'n'tumble on 07/08/10 22:07 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

We were getting around in a compact car, but when we bought our own house and adopted a 90 pound dog, our compact wasn't working anymore. We are also outdoor people who love to go camping, so we needed a car with room for all our rig and our dog that could put up with some rough terrain. The Mazda5 was the perfect choice for us and we don't have any regrets. We paid $17,500 for it.

Engine problems
By cosmin on 03/29/10 19:45 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I am totally disappointed about 2.3 L engine . I've done 12,000 km and before to go to second service I just notice the fact that the oil level was very low. Folks please check the oil level after oil replacement and sometime after next 4000 km . Mazda engine is huge on oil consumption . As soon as you pass the warranty around 100,000 be prepare for orange check engine light to go off. The service manager told me that this is normal! O lord Have mercy! End the guy is still a service manager! Brand new engine taking 1 liter of oil every 5000 km. Guys, take a second thought before to buy this car.

Not a winter vehicle!!
By Zepppo on 03/02/10 20:12 PM (PST)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

WE bought the Mazda 5 as it offers 6 seats without the bulk of a real mini-van. The design of the vehicle is good, but it feels a little "flimsy" compared to our Honda CRV. Gas mileage is good (again, compared to a minivan) and it's a pretty peppy ride. The biggest problem is driving on snow and ice, however (I live in AB,Canada). To compensate for the lack of oomph Mazda designed the manual gearbox with very "short" gears. First gear has so much torque that you can barely start moving without the wheels spinning! We bought Michelin X-Ice2 tires which helped a bit, but it's still not fun driving this vehicle on snow and ice. For a winter environment this is definitely not the right choice

the new crossover type
By shawnicus on 07/20/09 16:26 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

We had a sports sedan that just wasn't keeping up with the needs of a family, but wanted to keep with a manual transmission. This was the only option out there with a 3rd row of seats and we're very happy with it. Plenty of cargo space, great safety features, peppy little engine that is seat-of-the-pants fun to drive, good gas mileage, and fantastic brakes. I always thought the crossover class was going in the wrong direction: crossing a car and a SUV. This is a cross between a Mazda3 5-door and a van: which surprisingly ends up with a "best of a worlds" feel.

A minivan that is fun to drive!
By Scott on 05/01/09 11:52 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I was pretty skeptical that I would ever like a minivan, but we love our Mazda 5. I am amazed by how well it handles and how fun it is to drive. It doesn't have that big bloated feel and look of other minivans. We get better fuel economy than quoted for this vehicle. The good fuel efficiency and availability of a manual transmission is what sold us on this vehicle, but we have been equally impressed with the utility and ride quality. It has a very nimble feel to it that makes you forget you are driving a van.

Excellent choice for smart buyers!
By Georgiana Fratiloiu on 04/06/09 13:55 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Excellent car overall. Nice interior, comfortable, very pleasant exterior design, good audio system. We love it.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan in VA is:

$106 per month*