2009 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda5 model:
I like it, but with reservations
By jay_gloab on 07/09/13 12:41 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Overall I like but don't love this car. I like its compact dimensions but wish it was bigger inside. I think when it's paid off I'm going to get a small four-door economy car to be my daily driver and a used full-size minivan for when I need to haul more people or more stuff. It's easy and relatively fun to drive, and fairly economical - I get ~30mpg on the highway. It has been mostly reliable, but I've just had to have the rear shocks replaced for the second time in under 50,000 miles, which appears to be a common problem.

bad suspension parts
By gergis on 03/27/13 22:40 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I just spent 10k miles om my new certified Mazda 5 , then I should change all tire of my car as all of them were variable damaged from inward , and when I check this problem with dealer , told me I should change suspension parts of three of 4 wheels , It very strange to find that , if you want to buy this car , put in your mind 1- check alignment every few months 2- change tires every 11k to 13k miles , fix suspension parts yearly

Warranty's over
By m5indg on 12/08/12 14:55 PM (PST)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My wife and I loved this car when we bought it and still love to drive it. 3 years old now with 25k mostly around town miles on it and and experiencing some of the same problems that others have posted. OEM tires need replacing. Right rear shock blew just recently. Clutch engages very high on the pedal and will probably need replacing soon. Plus the car has always pulled to the right even after it was aligned and re-aligned. Other than these issues, we still find the car very functional for carting the kids around and taking family trips. My wife still loves it, but I'm starting to think that it may be come a money pit in the next few years.

Exactly What I wanted
By spewgilist on 11/28/12 11:24 AM (PST)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I bought my 2009 Mazda 5 GT new after stumbling on the model while looking for a car that would provide a comfortable ride for 4 adults and let me carry all the things for which I normally have to have a mini-van. I wanted sliding rear doors, I wanted captain's chairs, I wanted a leather interior and heated seats and a few other amenities to which I have become accustomed and I was able to get them all in the GT for around $10-$15K less than a regular minivan. I've had the car for 4 years now and I have put over 76K miles on it and I still love it and find it an incredibly versatile and reliable car.

Great except for two defects...
By brammer on 06/26/12 15:56 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

The vehicle is fun to drive and has versatile seating / storage configurations. Mileage is reasonable. Two big drawbacks though, the rear suspension and the rear bushings. At 50000 km of mostly single passenger commuting, we are already on our third set of rear shocks. The bushings (at least that's what I think they are) creak very loudly in warm weather. It sounds like a horse drawn wagon lumbering down a dirt road.

Buy it if you don't mind replace tires every 2kmi
By fea1 on 11/02/11 18:22 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Mazda5 has the serious design flaw of its suspension system. So be ready to get a new set of tires every 2kmi and frequent suspension repairing works including new shocks and wheels.

Expected better gas mileage.
By starbright on 06/03/11 15:13 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

We have had our Mazda 5 for 2 yrs now. We aren't happy with the car. The gas mileage is very poor-only 23 mpg highway and we live in the Canadian Prairies so don't have alot of hills. The cable for the manual shift went out on me right before I went on the highway-scarey!! It was covered and we were told it was "unusual". Then, my power steering pump went as I was driving into the Mazda car lot to find out about a strange noise I had. The service center was very kind and replaced it right away at no charge since there was a recall (get yours replaced!). I love the concept of the car. But we must have a 'dud' and are looking at replacing it soon.

By njmommy1 on 05/19/11 09:38 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I am writing a follow up review on this car, because I gave it a stellar rating a year ago, however I would not want anyone to buy this car based on that review. We have had the car two years. We have 40,000 miles on it, and are thankfully getting rid of it this week. I still love the design, the extra space in the back, the ability to seat 6 when needed, but the car is NOT reliable, and very unsafe. Here is a list of issues we have had: the rotors are shot, replaced the rear shocks at 36,500 (Mazda would not cover under warranty), we have replaced tires, had steering go out while driving (covered under warranty), gas cap broke, rear wiper broke This car shimmys squeaks and feels unsafe.

Seems Like it Was Rushed to Market
By lyzardo on 05/08/11 07:16 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Had this car for about 1.5 years, bought new and now have 15,000 miles on it. It is a fine car in concept, but has continually had annoying repairs needed. First, the wheel well cover over the front driver side tire was never sealed from the factory. The cruise and ABS sensors malfunctioned due to snow and slop getting into the wheel well where the sensors were located. Second, an oil pan leak needed to be repaired. Third, the ABS sensor failed for a second time. Fourth, the back suspension squeaked, and the rear passenger shock was replaced and bushings worked on. Fifth, a fuel pump recall necessitated another trip to the dealer. Next will be tire replacement (may get 20,000 miles on them).

Disappointing build quality
By doccarman on 04/22/11 09:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Bought the 5 for its versatility and fun to drive factor. However, the build quality stinks and has soured me on the car. I'll dismiss the fact that the factory tires were shot after 20K as being just the typical cheap OEM tires. What I can't forgive is: -Power steering pump failing -Constant companionship of suspension squeaks and rattles -Cracking and squeaking sounds from windshield on cold days -Blown left rear strut at 28K -Blow right rear strut at 35K -Broken gas cap (stuck on car with nearly empty tank) at 15K -Bluetooth that fails to connect 90% of the time, despite several attempts at reset -Seat heaters with two settings - either on or off Longer I keep it, the less I like it.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan in VA is:

$106 per month*