Used 2009 Mazda Mazda5 Grand Touring Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Mazda5 model:

Summer Love, Canadian Winters Hate
By mazdarx75

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I have Mazda5 09 GT model. I love the styling inside and out on my GT model. Very functional for my family of 4 and a dog. Option for 6 is great when needed as long as it is the exception. Does everything I need in the summer but when cold weather hits, I think of getting rid of it every winter. The power locking sliding side doors, manual sliding, will not work in cold or freezing temps. Took to Mazda and all they did was lube the door latch. Problem did not go away. Door keeps trying to lock even when I am driving. Not a safe feeling when driving and kids are back there. So this is my 3rd winter with this Van and make both doors close, I cannot wash it till spring.

Favorite Features

This van has a peppy engine and very good handling with summer tires on. Tiptronic shifting makes the automatic transmission fun. Seating for 6 is a bonus.

Suggested Improvements

Suspension is weak if you use it to move heavy objects or 6 adults. So front and rear shocks/struts needed replacement after 45000 mi Rear rotors also needed replacing. Power locking side door feature should be removed and is on newer models. This useless feature creates havoc in winters and makes me think of selling it.

Exactly What I wanted
By spewgilist

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I bought my 2009 Mazda 5 GT new after stumbling on the model while looking for a car that would provide a comfortable ride for 4 adults and let me carry all the things for which I normally have to have a mini-van. I wanted sliding rear doors, I wanted captain's chairs, I wanted a leather interior and heated seats and a few other amenities to which I have become accustomed and I was able to get them all in the GT for around $10-$15K less than a regular minivan. I've had the car for 4 years now and I have put over 76K miles on it and I still love it and find it an incredibly versatile and reliable car.

Favorite Features

Climate control DVD navigation Sound system Bluetooth connectivity heated seats heated side mirrors

Suggested Improvements

Privacy glass Powered front seats

Great except for two defects...
By brammer

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

The vehicle is fun to drive and has versatile seating / storage configurations. Mileage is reasonable. Two big drawbacks though, the rear suspension and the rear bushings. At 50000 km of mostly single passenger commuting, we are already on our third set of rear shocks. The bushings (at least that's what I think they are) creak very loudly in warm weather. It sounds like a horse drawn wagon lumbering down a dirt road.

Favorite Features

Seating flexibility

Suggested Improvements

Mazda should admit that the shocks were under-designed for the Mazda 5 and replace them with something more robust.

Disappointing build quality
By doccarman

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Bought the 5 for its versatility and fun to drive factor. However, the build quality stinks and has soured me on the car. I'll dismiss the fact that the factory tires were shot after 20K as being just the typical cheap OEM tires. What I can't forgive is: -Power steering pump failing -Constant companionship of suspension squeaks and rattles -Cracking and squeaking sounds from windshield on cold days -Blown left rear strut at 28K -Blow right rear strut at 35K -Broken gas cap (stuck on car with nearly empty tank) at 15K -Bluetooth that fails to connect 90% of the time, despite several attempts at reset -Seat heaters with two settings - either on or off Longer I keep it, the less I like it.

Favorite Features

Versatility of interior, styling, handling (when struts aren't blown).

Suggested Improvements

Higher quality materials and equipment, +20 HP, but keep 4 cyl, seat heaters with at least two settings - high and low, bluetooth that works, less road noise, speakers that don't buzz with the slightest bass.

Nearly perfect for my purpose
By MindDrive

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I needed a good vehicle, nothing fancy, that would fit my large music keyboards, but not be a monster truck. Mazda 5 is a "micro-minivan" (hip term for station wagon.) It has room for two adults up front, 2 adults in the back (typical nonsense about a 3rd adult in the back, no way,) and 2 kids all the way in the back. The 4 back seats fold down for a lot of cargo room. All this and it still drives like a car. It is well configured overall.

Favorite Features

I never cared about "fun-to-drive", until now! Great handling, tight turning radius, good acceleration and braking. Also, runs quiet, fuel efficient, very good sound system (no satellite,) great dealer & service department.

Suggested Improvements

The automatic climate control is a disaster! The thing seems to have its own agenda that is contrary to the owner's manual. More legroom would be helpful, sunroof is a little small but solid.