2009 Mazda Mazda5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda5 model:
Exactly What I wanted
By spewgilist on 11/28/12 11:24 AM (PST)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I bought my 2009 Mazda 5 GT new after stumbling on the model while looking for a car that would provide a comfortable ride for 4 adults and let me carry all the things for which I normally have to have a mini-van. I wanted sliding rear doors, I wanted captain's chairs, I wanted a leather interior and heated seats and a few other amenities to which I have become accustomed and I was able to get them all in the GT for around $10-$15K less than a regular minivan. I've had the car for 4 years now and I have put over 76K miles on it and I still love it and find it an incredibly versatile and reliable car.

Great except for two defects...
By brammer on 06/26/12 15:56 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

The vehicle is fun to drive and has versatile seating / storage configurations. Mileage is reasonable. Two big drawbacks though, the rear suspension and the rear bushings. At 50000 km of mostly single passenger commuting, we are already on our third set of rear shocks. The bushings (at least that's what I think they are) creak very loudly in warm weather. It sounds like a horse drawn wagon lumbering down a dirt road.

Disappointing build quality
By doccarman on 04/22/11 09:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Bought the 5 for its versatility and fun to drive factor. However, the build quality stinks and has soured me on the car. I'll dismiss the fact that the factory tires were shot after 20K as being just the typical cheap OEM tires. What I can't forgive is: -Power steering pump failing -Constant companionship of suspension squeaks and rattles -Cracking and squeaking sounds from windshield on cold days -Blown left rear strut at 28K -Blow right rear strut at 35K -Broken gas cap (stuck on car with nearly empty tank) at 15K -Bluetooth that fails to connect 90% of the time, despite several attempts at reset -Seat heaters with two settings - either on or off Longer I keep it, the less I like it.

Nearly perfect for my purpose
By MindDrive on 10/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I needed a good vehicle, nothing fancy, that would fit my large music keyboards, but not be a monster truck. Mazda 5 is a "micro-minivan" (hip term for station wagon.) It has room for two adults up front, 2½ adults in the back (typical nonsense about a 3rd adult in the back, no way,) and 2 kids all the way in the back. The 4 back seats fold down for a lot of cargo room. All this and it still drives like a car. It is well configured overall.

impressive value for the money
By Missouri Mule on 08/21/10 12:54 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

compared to Rondo and selected Mazda based on past experience with MPV. Great value for money considering flexibility and features; kids love the folding table in second row, hidden storage under seat is smart, could use another inch of legroom for my left leg but vehicle is still comfortable to drive; vehicle is primary driven by my wife who just loves the car. Mileage is strong, have gotten as high as 31 mpg on highway; hills of Ozarks bring mileage down but still does very well. would prefer 16 inch wheels and maybe an inch taller, but hard to complain about the value. Structure seems tight and well built. very easy to load and unload. road noise better than mpv, which was reliable2

Okay
By Rico on 08/14/10 18:32 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Had one for 1 1/2 years. Really liked it at first. Then noted loss of stable feeling when driving. Drove a lot, had 37,000 and the rear shocks were really shot after 17,000. Very bad in the snow, front tires just spin. Had to get snow tires then it was okay. So factory tires were bad after 20k. So that's two sets of tires after the first year. Overall we got sick of the thing. Gas mileage was not very good. It is low to the ground which makes it look nice but watch it when parking into a stall, you will hit some curb's. Anyhow, with the bad suspension and all I got rid of it for a Mazda6, wow what a difference. Like night and day. Got the 4cyl 2010 and it does get more than 30 mpg. Don't get a 5

Still Love to drive my MAzda 5
By Mazda5 lover on 05/14/10 15:32 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I got my Mazda 5 in October, 2009, and I have already put 21,000 miles on it. Just love to drive it everyday. Our 6 and 11 yr old girls particularly love the bucket seats that my 5 comes with. They said they prefer riding in my 5 than my wife's Lexus GS. Good acceleration and I average about 26-28 mpg which is a lot better than the SUV that I traded in. I have driven several different Japanese made vehicles in the past years, but this is my first Mazda. I truly believe that Mazda do make great cars like the old RX7s and Miata (which I had only driven, but never owned). I am planning to put in 150,000 miles on my 5 before even thinking about getting another car.

compromise for big rewards
By vicenac on 11/19/09 14:09 PM (PST)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

To fit 3 rows of seats in this little vehicle, some corners, or knees have to be cut. Make sure you fit in, take full advantage of the telescoping steering wheel and you'll get an exciting vehicle. It's easy to park, VERY nimble and accelerates quickly with the 5 gear transmission. I see it as a Swiss Army Knife. Small and versatile. How many times did I say small? Not enough! I am 6.1 and my wife is 5.7. The driver seat is all the way back. We have an infant carrier behind us, which is way longer than a car seat or regular person, so that seat is also all the way back. There would not be much leg room left in the third row seat. But there are 3 people seating on the right side of the car

'09 Mazda 5
By MazdaFan09 on 11/09/09 21:14 PM (PST)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased my Mazda5 Grand Touring about a month ago. I love this car. This is my 4th Mazda and by far my favorite. Build quality is great, transmission is smooth as well as the ride. I was looking for an alternative to an SUV with good MPG and easy to drive. I probably will never use the third row, but the cargo room is great. It has all the features of my Mazda3 with more space and better ride. This is not a minivan, more like a sport wagon with sliding doors. I agree if it were fully loaded it may be a little underpowered. For the two of us around town or roadtrip it's perfect and now there's room for the dogs. There's not an SUV as well as equipped as this for the price.

Way to go Mazda!
By Mary Pillow on 08/08/09 14:37 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I love this vehicle. Great for mom's with kids. Lots of space. Great price!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Mazda Mazda5 in VA is:

$106 per month*