2009 Mazda Mazda5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda5 model:
What a disappointment
By Bethany on 11/19/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

We bought new hoping to have fewer problems arise then our old cars with 150,000 miles. We chose Mazda thinking it was a better built car. The Mazda 5 has terrible road noise. The front wheels rattle like something has come loose. Two different Mazda service shops have not been able to fix the problem. Shortly after purchasing it the gas cap broke and was $45 to replace it not being under warranty. Mazda knows there is a problem with that and the new 2010 have a different gas cap. Now after owning the car only 14 months I had to replace all 4 tires because it was out of alignment. I kept up on tire rotations and had them balanced each oil change. This car is crap!

Stay Away From This Car and Mazda
By Home Theater Guy on 09/06/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

We purchased this car for our family because of the dual sliding doors, size and fuel economy. What we got was a lemon. Within the first 2000 miles the A/C went out. Four months later, the A/C went out again. We had this car at the dealer 4 times for A/C repairs alone. In the 14 months we had this vehicle we also had the radio replaced because the sound wouldn't come on. The check engine light came one twice, which required two more visits to the dealer for engine jerking and sluggishness. Up to the day we traded this vehicle, it would wobble or bounce on perfect roads as if it were out of line or the wheels were not balanced. We had those items checked many times, with no changes.

Beats a minivan/SUV for vacation!
By Wiseguy on 04/04/10 09:36 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Just returned to OH from SC after a week vacation. Was an excellent ride going through the WV & VA mountains, sailing along highways with fast traffic flow. The ride was excellent in all conditions & speeds. Averaged around 30 MPG. Traveling with a 14- & 6-year old + 2 adults makes interesting packing but got all in and had view lines out the back still. Underseat stowage in the middle seats is excellent. The flat floor in 2nd row allows a bag on the floor for laptops, MP3's, etc. easy. Even sustained a rear-end hit from another car on HWY with only minor corner fender damage - no injuries. With bags out of car, 3rd row seating was useful for grandparents who met us there.

Excellent Vehicle
By Sherry on 10/28/09 04:52 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

The vehicle is very comfortable and has lots of room for adults and teenagers in the front 4 seats. I've also had Grandchildren in it and the space is wonderful. Everyone has more space than they could possibly need. I had a flat and they put a lot of thought into the spare and carrying the flat without the vehicle getting dirty from it. It has a built in area for the spare that doesn't let it touch carpet... and a strap to keep it in place. The alarm let me know I had the flat. I couldn't feel it. Vision is great especially when we go to the mountains with the windows all around. My insurance dropped because it's built safer than the toyota I had. More features than other cars. Pd 15k cash!

Great so far
By fatherof1 on 09/26/09 19:03 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

After having our first baby in June and we decided it was time for a family vehicle. She wasn't sold on the 5 at first because she likes her "small, sporty, sedans". I knew all along that what she wants is no longer practical, so I let her test drive the Mazda 3 first. Reality set in when we put the baby seat in the back of the 3. Our leg room was definitely compromised. Next we test drove the 5 and she quickly realized the 5 was most practical for our new family. This was a tough one considering my father is a retired GM employee and am eligible for the GM discount. We wanted a vehicle suits our needs now and is fuel efficient. Unfortunately, GM doesn't carry a vehicle like the 5

Excellent compact mini-van-wagon-thingy
By 5-banger on 08/03/09 16:15 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

We've been looking for a compact, good on gas, more than 5 pax vehicle and the Mazda5 is just that. The only vehicle that would come close to it's class is the Kia Rondo and IMO, looks somewhat weird. So far, the 5 has exceeded our expectations. Nice sporty styling, great utility, and standard features in this cute gas-sipper makes this vehicle an excellent value. Some people say that it's underpowered, and probably is with a full load, but it's more than adequate for my driving habits and the manual sport shift makes up for increased performance when needed. This 5 is fun to drive and you can't say that about a lot of minivans! We're very pleased with our 5!

Best Buy
By LEE on 07/30/09 10:34 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Just picked up 2009 Touring a week ago. Love the utility for it's size. Have 2 children but no longer need to carry baby stuff. Need 3rd row seats once in a while. Drives like a car and is much better looking then a Kia Rondo. Like the rear doors.

I love my Mazda 5!
By kelbrat on 07/21/09 09:06 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

... and here's why. I've been researching a new car for about a year. Needed something for my 2 boys and I to get around town in. I went in knowing it would be small, and it is, and that's what's great. Drives like a car, looks like a Matrix, but better, and adds the convenience of sliding doors. The back seats are Captain's chairs, which makes getting to the third row a breeze. Adults CAN fit in the third row easily if they're not too tall, so don't let that deter you. I paid 18,600 for my Touring, and you can't get a six-seater for any less. No power driver's seat, but it's adjustable 3 ways so you can get it fairly comfortable. So cute!

Fun to Drive, Excellent Value
By Vicki on 07/19/09 09:02 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

This a fun car to drive, easy to park. I like to be able to haul "stuff" and people. It works well with my teenager on trips, also easy for my mom to get in and out of. I am a fan of the captian seats and negotiated leather seats in my deal for ease of maintenance. Have taken 2 road trips, the seats could be a little more cushy driving for 12+hours and do not leave the AC in the rotating interior air position or the AC will "freeze up" and not work. You have to then let it "unfreeze." If I had read the owners manual more closely, it is in there. I can't see spending 25-30K on a vehicle, though not perfect, I think this is a great deal. I hope it lasts for many years to come.

Good, Not Amazing
By miniMomma on 06/28/09 23:35 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I am really enjoying our new Mazda5, but I am not overly amazed. It is a very small mini van. Our small, umbrella stroller doesn't even fit! I know we will out grow this soon, but it is fun for now.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Mazda Mazda5 in VA is:

$106 per month*