Used 2009 Mazda 5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Mazda 5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 model:

Summer Love, Canadian Winters Hate
By mazdarx75

2009 Mazda 5 Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I have Mazda5 09 GT model. I love the styling inside and out on my GT model. Very functional for my family of 4 and a dog. Option for 6 is great when needed as long as it is the exception. Does everything I need in the summer but when cold weather hits, I think of getting rid of it every winter. The power locking sliding side doors, manual sliding, will not work in cold or freezing temps. Took to Mazda and all they did was lube the door latch. Problem did not go away. Door keeps trying to lock even when I am driving. Not a safe feeling when driving and kids are back there. So this is my 3rd winter with this Van and make both doors close, I cannot wash it till spring.

This van has a peppy engine and very good handling with summer tires on. Tiptronic shifting makes the automatic transmission fun. Seating for 6 is a bonus.

Suspension is weak if you use it to move heavy objects or 6 adults. So front and rear shocks/struts needed replacement after 45000 mi Rear rotors also needed replacing. Power locking side door feature should be removed and is on newer models. This useless feature creates havoc in winters and makes me think of selling it.

By vhabiru

2009 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

After about 2 years with the 5, I'm still really happy. We sold the sedan and bought the 5 when we realized we were having a second chlid. It's been really great and at no point have I had a second thought about the purchase. I only wish I had bought the manual and not the auto, but my wife was not keen to have the extra task of shifting in addition to keeping the kids happy. Overall, a solid A. I would definitely buy again.

1. Sliding doors that don't have motors. Straight forward, convenient, won't break. 2. Nimble. I have no trouble navigating this vehicle in the city. 3. Handling. It's actually fun to drive. It's no GTI, but it will take some decent lateral Gs through the turns. 4. Control. A little bit of #2 and #3 together. The 5's steering is very predictable and responsive. The braking is sharp and quick. That let's me feel like I'm in control of the vehicle and able to quickly dodge to avoid maladies that may come my way. An SUV may seem safer, but good luck stopping in time or swerving out of the way. 5. Looks. It's a sharp looking car. I'm not a fan of the 2011-14 design. 6. Mileage.

1. Internal materials. Don't feel weak but feel plasticky and hastily designed. Function over form, I suppose 2. Road noise. The 5 sits on some low profile tires, and if you don't replace them with premium tires, you get a pretty noisy drive. I don't mind, you get used to it, but you notice for sure. 3. 7 seats. The Premacy (the Japanese version) has a 3rd seat in the 2nd row. That would be nice. With vans, more people is better. 4. Rear seats. This van is good for moving around a yong family, so if you have 4 or more people taller than 4' in the minivan, you're going to be cramped. 5. Cargo space. Not much if you have 6 passengers. Get a rooftop box if you're regularly moving 6.

I like it, but with reservations
By jay_gloab

2009 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Overall I like but don't love this car. I like its compact dimensions but wish it was bigger inside. I think when it's paid off I'm going to get a small four-door economy car to be my daily driver and a used full-size minivan for when I need to haul more people or more stuff. It's easy and relatively fun to drive, and fairly economical - I get ~30mpg on the highway. It has been mostly reliable, but I've just had to have the rear shocks replaced for the second time in under 50,000 miles, which appears to be a common problem.

Maneuverability - this is a parking lot champ Versatility - I keep the 3rd row seats folded down most of the time, but being able to carry 4 adults and two kids has come in handy Performance w/manual transmission - it's no speed demon, but it's far more responsive than most cars of this ilk Sliding rear doors - some hate them because of the minivanish stigma, but they are super-convenient

Better rear suspension! Front seat is cramped for me (6'0"). Auto climate control needs more flexibility - you should be able to select the zones and fan speed without it turning off Auto. The clips that hold the headlight bulbs in are absolutely infuriating.

bad suspension parts
By gergis

2009 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I just spent 10k miles om my new certified Mazda 5 , then I should change all tire of my car as all of them were variable damaged from inward , and when I check this problem with dealer , told me I should change suspension parts of three of 4 wheels , It very strange to find that , if you want to buy this car , put in your mind 1- check alignment every few months 2- change tires every 11k to 13k miles , fix suspension parts yearly

don't buy this car , I never recommend 2009 Mazda 5

Warranty's over
By m5indg

2009 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My wife and I loved this car when we bought it and still love to drive it. 3 years old now with 25k mostly around town miles on it and and experiencing some of the same problems that others have posted. OEM tires need replacing. Right rear shock blew just recently. Clutch engages very high on the pedal and will probably need replacing soon. Plus the car has always pulled to the right even after it was aligned and re-aligned. Other than these issues, we still find the car very functional for carting the kids around and taking family trips. My wife still loves it, but I'm starting to think that it may be come a money pit in the next few years.

Sliding rear doors. Manual transmission. Fun to drive quality. Sound system.

Rear suspension. Alignment. Tires. Clutch. Also not a fan of the climate control. I'd rather have a simple fan control knob and temperature knob with an A/C button.