2008 Mazda Mazda5 2.3L 4-cyl. 5-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Mazda5 Notes

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan - Consumer Review

Mazda5 Notes
By KHS on

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Traded my Volvo 940 Wagon for the Mazda5 GT. Use primarily for business. I need cargo room, and hate SUVs. First, the gas mileage is awesome... 39 mpg on my recent road trip. Easy vehicle to work from. Sliding doors help. No mechanical issues, noises, squeaks or rattles. Really solid car. However, I miss the comfort of my Volvo. The seat bottoms are too short, and too narrow. The climate controls are way too complicated. The gas & brake pedals are too close together. As others have noted, the interior plastics are poor quality, and scuff easily. Storage is sparse. Map pockets in the doors are preferred to the bottle holders. There is a storage pocket behind the driver's seat only.

Favorite Features

Reliability, gas mileage, unique styling, small turning circle for a front drive car, reasonable price.

Suggested Improvements

More accessible storage, less complicated climate controls, eliminate "rain sensing" wipers, improve seat design, really CHEESY jack. Side sill extensions prevent installation of front mud guards, hence I'm constantly removing tar splashes from paint. Hood prop rod... please use gas lifters instead.