Used 2008 Mazda 5 Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 model:

Great Car
By AdoboDude

2008 Mazda 5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Bought the car on Dec 31, 2007. 2008 Mazda 5 GT. Power is adequate. Acceleration is ok, handling is superb, great gas mileage. About 23-25 mpg in LA traffic, but I did log 31 mpg going to San Francisco with 3 adults and 2 kids. Took me a long time to decide between the new CRV to the 5, but I sincerely believe that I made the right choice.

Bluetooth, 6 in dash cd change, auto-dim rear view mirror, handling

It would be nice to have a third seat in the back row seat.

It thinks it's a van... but it's not
By dee

2008 Mazda 5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Thought it would be a smaller alternative to a van, bought it when gas was $4.00+. It is way too small, can haul 6 people/4 with stuff, but not both. Cons: non-lighted mirrors, small useless cubbies without lids, industrial looking fabric, door ajar light doesn't specify which door, gas cap is very hard to get off, wimpy horn, can't close windows with car off, small sunroof, would switch volume with placement of radio change buttons (don't change volume often, but you always change stations, add on/off button), cubbie under middle seat can't be accessed while driving, sunshade is too short-useless, light in truck have off/on/door, armrest must be up to access back.

Fun to drive, just wish it was a foot longer and a foot wider. The six seats is a big plus, that's what sold me on the car (since most small SUVs are only 5 seaters).

Parking brake come up farther to be seen; switch places on key fob so unlock is on top, hard to find in dark; don't like lit dash (think headlights on when they aren't & when I turn car off, the dash goes off even when headlights on); smaller back pillars with bigger back window, plus above.

I am in love!!
By dopey

2008 Mazda 5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I love this car!! It has every feature you want. I didn't want an suv or mini- van. This car is perfect. It is so much fun to drive. I didn't like the style at first. The car grows on you. All my neighbors compliment the car every time I see them. It's great for a small family. My 2 and half year old loves having his own seat too. The only down fall is my stroller fits on an angle. Also, the automatic car starter from Mazda is awesome. It worth every penny.

seating, auto climate control, control options on steering wheel, Sliding doors, storage under the 2nd row seats, and all the cup holders. Mazda's bumper to bumper extended warranty is a great option also

Just a little wider!! and more safety options like traction control would be nice.

My New Mini- MiniVan !
By NAA

2008 Mazda 5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

We were looking for good gas mileage, the right price with optional 6 passenger seating when we spotted a 2008 Mazda 5. It is easy for the kids to open the sliding doors to get in and out. The second row seating is comfortable and has a great bin for toys and cups. Now I can pick up my friends kids or transport family when I need to. The Mazda 5 third row folds down so easily when not in use. I can't believe the ergonomic storage room . I bought a snow blower for my husband and there was no problem sliding it in the back of the car with room to spare. My 6'4 husband fits in the drivers seat but the glove box in the pass is tight. We are pleased with the overall performance of the 5.

I love having the phone and radio/cd controls on the steering wheel. Heated seats and bluetooth are great! The sliding side doors are great in tight places. Comfortable arm rests. The easy folding third row is great and allows for good cargo area. The 5 is fun to drive!

Warning to families with little ones- my 5 year old got his hand closed in the sliding door. He reached up there as I was sliding the door from outside. Luckily the weather striping saved him. Automatic doors with warning would be nice but would come at a price. Also TCS. We bought snow tires as well

Mazda5 Notes
By KHS

2008 Mazda 5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Traded my Volvo 940 Wagon for the Mazda5 GT. Use primarily for business. I need cargo room, and hate SUVs. First, the gas mileage is awesome... 39 mpg on my recent road trip. Easy vehicle to work from. Sliding doors help. No mechanical issues, noises, squeaks or rattles. Really solid car. However, I miss the comfort of my Volvo. The seat bottoms are too short, and too narrow. The climate controls are way too complicated. The gas & brake pedals are too close together. As others have noted, the interior plastics are poor quality, and scuff easily. Storage is sparse. Map pockets in the doors are preferred to the bottle holders. There is a storage pocket behind the driver's seat only.

Reliability, gas mileage, unique styling, small turning circle for a front drive car, reasonable price.

More accessible storage, less complicated climate controls, eliminate "rain sensing" wipers, improve seat design, really CHEESY jack. Side sill extensions prevent installation of front mud guards, hence I'm constantly removing tar splashes from paint. Hood prop rod... please use gas lifters instead.