Used 2008 Mazda 5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 model:

Everything You Need
By jonjae

2008 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I can't think of another vehicle with this much functionality AND good gas mileage. You might get more room from a full size minivan, but you also will only get 16-17 mpg in the city. I have received 23-25 mpg in the city and 28 highway. I bought this car used after I had a chance to rent one. The third row is small but is just fine for your kids. I have sat back there and wouldn't mind sitting there for around town outings. It's just nice to have the option to transport up to six people occasionally. I owned a 2002 Protege which was a litte unrefined regarding road noise. This is no Lexus but definitely is improved and more than satisfactory, even on the highway.

Exterior styling, low price, fuel economy, third row seating, good safety ratings, generous standard features, the power is satisfactory with enough acceleration ability.

A liitle more power would be nice but not at the expense of fuel economy. Some have complained about a lack of horsepower but I find it sufficient, even with two adults and two children. A little more driver leg room would be nice.

I love this car.
By fieryspirit

2008 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

With two babies, I love the fact that there are sliding doors. It's sleek design makes me feel like I am in a space shuttle. :) The fabric is easy to clean. I live in a small town with no highways, so driving around I get 29-30 mpg...which is awesome!! The price was decent too. Never thought that I would own a Mazda...went to buy a Nissan truck with my husband and saw this vehicle and fell in love. I am so happy that we bought it. Plus, the Mazda version of AAA is really reliable.

Sliding doors. Hatchback. The fuel economy. The 2nd row tray that you can fold into the seat. Arm rests. 2 rows of folding seats. The exterior look. It drives really easy and is fairly quiet.

All wheel drive would be nice. Oh yeah, and a better grocery net. I do not like the way that the one I have is installed.

Great little vehicle!
By Steve

2008 Mazda 5 Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

We looked at all vans, but balked at the $! Mazda hit it right with price and features. We have 2 teens, and most of the time the 3rd seat is folded flat. Much usable space this way, and easy to convert if hauling more kids around. Tough going in the snow, the GT wheels look cool, but the wide, low profile tires are tough in the snow. As I told my wife, they do plow here, and we only had issue when everyone else did too, so no biggie. Love the Bluetooth, all the nooks and crannies, and total flexibility in this good looking little mover. We also love how sporty it drives, how well it parks and fits in the garage, and the zesty copper paint!

Heated seats, I-Pod port, stereo sounds great, climate control, adjustable headlights, and the trick 2nd row seats, fuel economy, (25 mph avg so far) with a smaller tank to save $ at the pump!

anti-skid would be nice, along with a change dish and longer front seat bottoms. I had to tint the windows, does the sun not shine in Europe?

6 month review
By Mark

2008 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Well we have had our 2008 mazda5 sport for over 6 mos now and figured it was time to give our thoughts. First living in a snowy, hilly area the winter handling and hill climbing power are both average at best. It lags at hill climbing, especially at highway speeds. Fuel efficiency has been pretty good maybe even a little better than rated. The interior design is very accommodating &comfortable. The rear seats are easy to fold/unfold and the design of the controls is very intuitive. Cargo space with the third row up is minimal but with it down we can easily fit our two week groceries and more in the back. Reliability has been perfect so far. Black interior impossible to keep clean.

Cruise and radio controls on steering wheel. MP3 Jack which will also allow you to plug in a portable dvd player. Cargo space with third row seats folded.

A bigger engine for more power. Possibly an awd option

Comfortable with power to spare!
By SHAWN HILL

2008 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

We purchased the Mazda5 to replace an aging and not very fuel efficient Ford Freestar minivan. As we still needed a vehicle that could sit at least 6 people but we wanted something more economical the scope of our search was limited. After test driving the Ford TaurusX, Rio Rondo and the Mazda5 and comparing the prices for each it was quickly obvious that the Mazda5 was the best choice. After 6 months of use we are thrilled with our choice. We've been getting 26 mpg in all around driving and 30 mpg on exclusively highway miles. The engine has plenty of pep and you can chirp the tires at a moments notice.

FUEL ECONOMY! Spacious interior, comfortable seating (even for adults in the third row of seats). Plenty of power - the 4cyl, 153hp engine has MORE than enough power to get you going even loaded with 4 adults, packed with gear and a 17 ft canoe strapped to the roof.

Roof rails are a MUST! Incorporate the "karakuri" 7th seat for the North American model. A change/coin tray would be nice.