Used 2008 Mazda 5 Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mazda 5 Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 model:

A great vehicle
By ajl

2008 Mazda 5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

We looked at everything in this price class,new and used. CR-V, RAV 4, Subaru Forester, Kia Rondo,Suzuki Grand Vitara. Nothing offered the combination of fun and function like the Mazda. This is not meant as a replacement for the minivan from Honda, Toyota,etc. You must drive this "microvan" before passing judgment on it. If you appreciate sharp steering and handling over a softer ride, you will not be disappointed. Bottom line: If you need to haul a small family around or just some stuff AND have fun doing it, the Mazda 5 is for you! It was for us! For those complaining about snow traction. Get four snow tires. 205/50/17 all season tires were never meant for snow!

Handling, features on the Grand Touring like Bluetooth and Xenon headlamps, fuel mileage, the hiding places in the interior,exterior styling. The 5 is still fairly rare in my area, so I don't see another one everyday,which is kinda fun!

OK, power is not the 5's strong point. Please Mazda, bring the turbo-diesel from Europe for this vehicle (143 hp 260 ft.lbs. of torque and 38 mpg city!) Some of the plastics are a bit cheap feeling inside and I'd like a bit more storage for the front passengers.

It's Okay but I would not buy another
By crankychick

2008 Mazda 5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Have had our vehicle for over a year. Power steering keeps cutting out, brakes squeak like mad in the rain, dealer seems unable to fix either problem. We drive 34,000 km per year, are a family of 5 with 3 smaller sized teens, this is our only car. No where in the middle seats to put a drink down (our vehicle does not have the under seat fold out holder - which is annoying in itself). The back window never seems to stay clean, no matter how often we wash it, car washes seem to never get the whole back of the car. It is fun to drive, and looks great, gets excellent mileage BUT it is uncomfortable, and the person in the back row is either hot or cold. Needs AWD for North American snow

Love the look of the car, the sliding door panels, and it is fun to drive. The wipers come on automatically when it rains - love that feature!

Must have AWD for Northern Climates, power windows should be able to go up even if car is off! Drink holders for center row (not as an extra) Temperature adjustment for back row, front bumper too low for snowy climates should be raised just a little. Seating should be more comfortable - adjustable

Perfect family car
By Family of 4

2008 Mazda 5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Excellent Car. Have a family of 4 and needed the extra row in case we drove family and or friends. The kids love the sliding doors, and the storage under the seats. My wife and I love the excellent gas mileage. It is easy to drive - perfect for around town. Turns on a dime and has plenty of zoom. The other night I helped a friend move two couches - no problem with the seats down. Interior space is surprisingly large. With the 3rd row seats up, you have plenty of room for groceries. This car is perfect for a family watching their money.

Handling - sliding doors - price - 3rd row - gas mileage

The gas and brake pedals are a little close.

Great Car
By yesi08

2008 Mazda 5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

After owning for 4 months we hit a tire late at night on the freeway at about 70-75mph. There were about a half dozen other cars who hit the same tire. Only suffered minor damage to front end (a little expensive to fix) whereas the other cars required a tow to get home we drove off just fine. The rear seats can fir full-sized adults (6' 200lbs males) for sort durations, but are great for smaller adults and children. With the third row folded it takes most everyday challenges. LOVE the sliding doors and small size compared to other minivans. We can open the rear hatch with the garage door closed. Parking in a crowded parking lot is a blast, you can even park 'against the grain'! Love IT!

The sliding doors and third room seating option. Great fuel economy. Nice looking car. The white exterior with light colored fabric interior along with tinted windows keeps this cooler in desert summers by 15-20 degrees! Recommended for anyone in So.Cal

More powerful engine or possible turbo option. More padding on driver's side door or a better place to rest your left arm while driving. A conversation mirror to view the kids in the back.

owned it 1 month & have tried to sell it
By mary

2008 Mazda 5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Hate it, way too small, cheaply made, inside scuffs easily, only 2 choices for exterior color if you don't want the too light cream interior-ugly gray and too hot black. The front passenger seat is so small it's claustrophobic, useless trunk with 3rd row up, 2nd row barely fits 2 small kids and their back packs. The worst vehicle I've had in 35+ years of driving. My 13 year old van I got rid of for this car was far superior. AC is not intuitive. Car is too narrow to fit my soccer foldable chair in. I guess if you buy cheap,you get cheap.

fun to drive, like that back seat splits as well as the cover for the trunk splits, like arms rests in middle and cubby between seats, but that's it.

More bins of a useful size with lids, ESC, all seats are too small, I have young kids and it's still cramped. Sunvisor is too short, I have the drivers seat well forward and it stops before I start. Way more trunk room, if you have kids, you have stuff.