2008 Mazda Mazda5 Sport Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mazda Mazda5 - Consumer Reviews

2008 Mazda5 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda5 model:

Sort Reviews by

ONLY 3 row US vehicle w/ manual tranny!
By Dave

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Perfect for a small family. If you're worried it won't do for the family vacation, don't fear! With the cash you save in purchase and fuel over a minivan you can rent a minivan if ever you need to!

Favorite Features

Manual transmission, super easy to get baby seat kids i/o of row 2 and keep their older sibs in row 3. Handles great. Super turn radius. We rented a Renault Scenic in the UK and loved having three rows and a 6 speed manual transmission. This is the closest thing to it here.

Suggested Improvements

I'm 6' and while I'm plenty comfortable in this vehicle, my view of the instrumentation is blocked to a great degree by the steering wheel.

Excellent mileage!
By bonboa

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased this vehicle on a Monday and it was delivered to me on Wednesday September 10, 2008, and it was worth the extra wait. The silver is (in my opinion) the best color for this vehicle! I am a confirmed Honda man. I only purchase Honda products just because that is what I've always done. All I have to say is this, Honda better watch their "6". This is a wonderful car 30.5 mpg mixed cty/hwy! This car is better than a Honda. I've owned 5 so far and may dedicate all future purchases to Mazda.

Favorite Features

2008 Mazda 5 sport, sunlight silver, 5 speed auto, with customer preferred package. Favorite? relatively quiet, alloy wheels, and sportiness 30.5 mpg in mixed hwy/city? not even my 2003 Accord can do that!

Suggested Improvements

Perfect for husband, wife and three kids
By theescarletandgray

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I am 6'3" tall and wanted to get better gas mileage than my Aztek, but I didn't want to sacrifice a ton of leg room. My wife and I shopped for a RAV4, but the lack of leg room scared me away, specifically around the knees. The Mazda 5 has good leg room and is comfortable. My children can easily open and close the sliding doors. With a new child on the way one of the two other children is already looking forward to the third row. With the third row folded down there is plenty of storage space. When people are in the third row there is very little room, only enough for an umbrella stroller. This car is perfect for my daily commute. It is great for short jaunts or day trips.

Favorite Features

The autostick makes driving a little more exciting and is great for on-ramp merges or highway passing. I have gotten used to the Bluetooth and miss it in my other vehicle. This car handles great and the seats are comfortable. The underseat storage is unique and very useful.

Suggested Improvements

It would be nice if the driver's seat went back one more notch, but I understand this car wasn't built for NBA centers. The vehicle doesn't come with tinted windows. I got them as an option to shade the children in the back.

Nice little thing
By Trurl

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Test drove all existing minivans and finally chose Mazda 5 as a compromise between practicality of a "grown up" minivan and drivability of a sedan. Considering its price this is nearly perfect vehicle: tiny outside but somehow very roomy inside - must be some sci-fi trick, unless it just a very thoughtful design. I also like the build quality and hope for a good reliability. And by the way, why don't they put sliding doors on all cars?

Favorite Features

Small size. Lot of room. Sliding doors.

Suggested Improvements

Not impressed with gas mileage so far - but this is a minivan, right?

Futuristic surfer wagon
By Calzone

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Tried the Mazda5. LOVED it. Comfortable seating, spacious interior, ample cargo space, great price, peppy and fun to drive. Haven't encountered snow yet; thinking the manual overdrive will come in handy then. I highly recommend the Mazda5 to small families or anyone who wants an affordable, cargo-worthy vehicle. 22 mpg in suburban driving conditions.

Favorite Features

Peppy engine; comfortable seating; space!

Suggested Improvements

For peace of mind I'd like to see stability control added. Some kind of retractable cargo cover like I've seen in Subaru Outbacks would add a nice touch.

Loving the 5!
By Johnny

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Had to find a new car quickly and wanted good price, economy, and something that worked with two kids. Looked at numerous cars and the 5. Surprised that it was hard to find, but glad I did. Home town didn't have any and drove 60 miles to find the only Touring the dealer had. The white is really sharp! The 5 gets lots of stares and I think of it as a sport wagon rather than a mini van. I haven't seen another on the road in the few days we have owned it, couldn't say that about the Taurus and Altima that I was considering. We made a GREAT purchase! The kids think its cool too! This will be my everyday car, my wife drives a Honda Ody.

Favorite Features

The body style. A van, yet not a van. Easy sliding doors, six disc changer, and stares from people probably wondering what it is. Has plenty of get up and go.

Suggested Improvements

Though the sliding doors are easy, power ones, likes the ones on our Honda, would be great. A covered console would be helpful. Can't hide anything. Standard tinted windows would enhance the look. Spending $170 to have all the windows done.

I was looking for you all this time
By xabo

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

This is "the almost perfect family car". I studied every possibility for our family and couldn't find the right match. I finally discovered the 5 and realized quickly it was the one. Space, quality, price, doors, features, design and MPG, it has it all. It's a pleasure to drive this car. I must admit some jealousy as we found the 5 in Switzerland with dark tinted glass and a sporty luggage rack system. It looks even better. The seating possibilities are endless and easy to play with.

Favorite Features

Seating configuration, comfort of seats (good for your back), fun to drive, sliding doors, great ratio: quality/price, design (interior, exterior), security, etc.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger armrest for driver, plastics scratch easily. European features like dark tinted glass as an option, nicer luggage rack and why not, a seventh seat. Keep working on the MPG (can do better), 25 MPG is good but not enough.

Kool station wagon
By sandmantech

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I have a MPV and love it. Now, I just got this Mazda 5. It is also a good vehicle. I want to have another vehicle that can sit a family of 4 and cargo space for the trips to costco. This is a perfect vehicle and save gas. The price is about the same as Toyota Matrix but can sit more.

Favorite Features

Compact car with huge cargo space or sit 6 people. Sliding doors. Don't mind the 4 cylinders cause the gas saving.

Suggested Improvements

Power sliding doors.

Lots to like, a little to dislike
By Dennis

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the Sport with M/T. Vehicle meets all my needs, lots of room, decent fuel economy, good price. The manual trans takes some getting used to. It has a very light engagement and is very easy to "top" a gear. I definitely will be tinting the rear windows to keep things cooler but the A/C works great. With almost 3,000 miles on it I am averaging about 22 mpg. Since all my driving is around town I find this acceptable but wished for more. Manual adjusting seats required me to get out of the car to raise the seat level. If you are willing to keep the RPMs up, acceleration is good. Overall I am very pleased and hope time will prove me right.

Favorite Features

Huge hatch, sliding doors, interior room, handling, high feature content for base model.

Suggested Improvements

Clutch "feel", better MPG (city), factory tinted rear Windows

Dad's Cool Car
By Kevin

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I needed a roomy vehicle to accommodate our new baby (and all the stuff that comes along too) as well as provide good gas mileage for commuting 60 miles per day for work. Seeing as a manual transmission is almost a requirement for me, my choices were limited. I compared the Mazda5 to a few mid-size sedans and found that none could compare in terms of space or price. My wife, who always swore she would never drive a minivan, loves it so much that she now wants to learn how to drive a manual so that she can drive my car instead of her CR-V. Our baby loves it too :) The 5 is so fun to drive that I feel like I'm driving a sporty car, not a Micro-Van - great mix of fun and practicality.

Favorite Features

Availability of a manual transmission (a must for me). Gas mileage. Averaging 28 in 80% hwy, 20% city. Sliding doors - very easy to get baby in/out of vehicle and good for tight parking situations. Under-seat storage. Sporty ride/handling. Standard features for the money.

Suggested Improvements

6th gear for manual transmission - seems to rev a little high above 65 mph. Maybe the availability of AWD. I think my wife would replace her CR-V in a minute if she could get a Mazda5 with AWD.