Used 2008 Mazda Mazda5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Mazda5 model:

Love this Family car!!!
By Angela

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Love, Love this car and it has been over a year now that we are driving it. I needed a family of four type of car with room for more kid passengers or grandparents on trips. This car was it! I did not want a large minivan and needed better mileage for my long trips on highway to visit family. Some reviewers complained a little about the road noise, I don't notice it at all. I previously owned a V6 pontiac grandAm and the Mazda 5 satisfies the need for pickup and speed. Drives great! The only thing I wish I did when I was getting the car was get one with a roof rack. It would be so useful on long family vacations.

Favorite Features

Does not drive like a minivan, it has a lot of pep and moves like a small car. The stereo 6-CD changer and the sliding doors

Suggested Improvements

Maybe a little storage in back when 3rd row seat is in use.

Just What I Needed
By Dnice35

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I have a newborn and before purchasing the Mazda 5 we had a mid-size sedan. It was a hassle to put the baby in and out of the car. We bought this car for the following reasons: 1. good gas millage 2. comfortable for the baby 3. design, So far it has met our expectations. We are more than pleased with our purchase.

Favorite Features

fodable third row. dual a/c. automatic and manual transmission. design. 6 cd changer.

Suggested Improvements

I guess the only things I can think of is a little more room in the trunk, as there is no space when the third row is being used. and maybe a little more power when accelerating wouldn't hurt.

Loving the 5 II
By Johnny

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

It's been almost a year now since I bought the 5. It is my daily commuter. I was told to drive it like a sports car and I do. Commonly doing 85 in the interstate. Love the size and ease in parking. Still don't see many around and it fits our family of four. Better gas mileage than our Honda Oddy. Only issue with the 5 was that I couldn't get the gas cap off. It was a recall. All is fixed. I would buy another. Recently took it on four hour vacation, everything fit and mileage was great. Cant wait to see what the new one will look like. Most people don't know what it is. I like that. It stands out in a crowd.

Favorite Features

I like the shape. Has a sporty look.

Suggested Improvements

Power doors on the side and hatchback. A covered console between front two seats. Wish front two windows were auto up and down. Windows should come tinted.

Great buy!
By Mike

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

We bought this car as a family car just a few months ago and we could not be happier! We also looked around for sometime before we decided on the 5.

Favorite Features

Unique exterior styling. Great handling.

Suggested Improvements

Put the 2.3 turbo in it!

Smooth-Riding Car for Small Families
By Renee Lichtenhan

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

This is a great little van for small families. Handling is really smooth, "Zoom Zoom", as they say. Very dependable. Lots of little nooks in the driver's side to stash cell phone, sunglasses, cosmetics. Easy to reach radio and temperature controls. Handy storage under middle bucket seats. Seats very easy to fold and slide where you need them to be. Ample storage when third row is folded down. But, if you've got people in the third row, forget about putting any luggage, groceries, or even school backpacks in the back.

Favorite Features

Quiet, smooth ride. Easy to handle. Gas mileage is fair. With A/C in summer average 22 mpg. Other times of year, best I saw was 29 mpg.

Suggested Improvements

This would suit a family of four, most of the time, especially if your kids are small. If you've got bigger kids and are hauling their friends around, too, it will feel too small. Third row makes storage useless.