Used 2008 Mazda 5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mazda 5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 model:

Still Happy After a Year
By cobracoach

2008 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I traded a Tribute on this car and have not regretted the decision, other than my need for towing my lawn mower on occasion. Fuel economy is consistently in the 27-28 mpg area and have two tanks to go 33 and 35 on trips. I've owned several Hondas and find this comparable to Honda quality and performance, and greatly superior to the 1999 Odessey I owned. Space is adequate and the hidden cubbies are fantastic. Others complain about the short seat, but I find them extremely comfortable. I got stranded one time when I couldn't get the gas cap off and the tank was almost on empty and I was 100 miles from home. Had to break out the cap, but problem has not reoccurred.

Storage cubbies, sliding doors, fun to drive, low enough to the ground to be easy to get in and out of for an old fellow like me. Dependable and reliable (extremely important.

Ability to tow small loads (European models can, rear blower to blow heat as well as a/c, roof racks standard.

Wagon? Van? Whatever! It's fun!!
By ajl

2008 Mazda 5 Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

After shopping every small SUV out there, and the only real competitor to the 5 when we bought it (the Kia Rondo), we bought our 08 Mazda 5 Grand Touring new in May of 09. After 6000 miles, it's still fun to drive and the mileage keeps getting better as the motor breaks in.It's based on the Mazda 3, considered one of the best driving small cars out there, so it drives and handles like a taller version of that car. If you need a capable vehicle for a small family that's fun to drive, look no further! I cannot say enough about how great this vehicle is to drive. Averaging about 21 mpg in mostly hilly, stop and go driving.

Handling is incredible for an inexpensive,van-like vehicle. The sliding doors are great, especially for our narrow garage. Lot's of storage and with our Grand Touring model, lot's of amenities like heated seats,HID headlamps for the money. Turning circle is tight, a bonus.

Build quality is OK, but the interior plastics scratch easily.Road noise is there, a bit worse then our 06 Accord. Would love the turbo diesel version that other parts of the world get (same horsepower, more torque and much better mileage; 30+ mpg city)Another 20 hp would be nice.

I Love My Minivan mazda5
By nmac

2008 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I ended up buying Mazda 5 over a year ago after giving my Jeep Grand Cherokee to my daughter who needed a car desperately at the time. I did a research on which vehicle will have a good decent mileage and can seat 6 people and I found this one with the help of edmunds.com...Thanks again for your support! I surely do appreciate this free service here. I love this car because it drives like a car and not like those regular family vans. The MPG is also a factor that's why I went for this Mazda. I put in about 450 miles on average trip such as grocery shopping and taking my teenager to and from school activities. Overall, this is very nice and it does the job of minivan/car that carries 6 pax.>

The car like driving experience and the smooth gliding side doors.

I suggest that they make the tires higher from the ground cause it's just too low for me. I'm now thinking of trading it in for a Jeep Patriot or other SUV under 25K. Other than that, I would love to keep this until it falls apart on me. Please make the ground clearance higher and 35 plus MPGS.

Great car/van
By mike

2008 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

About 1.5 years of ownership now. Great reliable vehicle. We bought it as the perfect 4 person family car and then got a surprise #3 child and it is not perfect for that but its ok. I added a roof rack and cargo box and thats takes care of storage issues on long trips. I should add I got 28-29 mpg on a recent road trip fully loaded down , roof box on top, and bikes

MPG quality performance

more cargo/seating room

I just cant wait to get rid of it!!!!!!
By Really not liking it

2008 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

So we have now had this car for a little over a year and i would honestly say that i have had nothing but problems.After two months of purchase we hit a stick in the middle of the road and ended up with a whole the size of a softball in the gas tank and that was not covered by warranty. We have had to purchase several gas caps costing $65 each and a new gas intake. I also have had water spraying out the vents with the air conditioner on.This should not happen when you buy a new car all we have done is put more money in to this car then its worth and to top it off its such a hard car to try and trade in for a better car the dealerships DON'T WANT IT. I will never purchase a Mazda AGAIN ~!!!

It gets great gas mileage, The sliding doors and the manual transmission.

More room in the car its not easy to fill all the seats cause there is no room for all the people and baggage