Used 2008 Mazda 5 Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mazda 5 Minivan

View reviews for a specific 5 model:

Not Bad.
By dudechuck

2008 Mazda 5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

We bought the Mazda5 based on a my wife's friend. She had one and loved it. She had the '07, and by reading reviews we settled on the '08. It was nice for a family of four, once our child was able to seat forward facing. There is not enough room for a rear facing car seat in the second row. You can do it but the person in the front seat has to scoot way up for and it is not comfortable. It was reliable all except the power steering would go out. It was repleced on a recall for free and we did not have any further problems. It was terrible in the snow and got stuck several times in a few inches of snow. The engine is also way to small for the vehicle, with limited highway power.

Favorite Features

I like the automatic climate control, the sliding doors, and the six disc CD changer. We had a roof dvd player installed later and it saved us on long trips.

Suggested Improvements

It needs a bigger engine. The engine does not have enough power for the size of vehicle that it is. It needs traction control and all wheel drive. I understand that traction control is now standard on the new models. It also needs standard side curtain air bags for the entire car not just the front. I don't get why anyone should pay extra for saftey features. The rotors also warp on the car and cause vibration during braking.

Good and Bad
By bsdgbach

2008 Mazda 5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

This van is nice for a short person (under 5'2") Even with the front seat all the way back a 6' person is crunched up. I get the recommended oil changes and every time I go there is a problem that ends up costing $$$. I even with warranty on it. I have replaced the tires. We bought this in mid 08. with in 6 months the 1 of the brakes had a problem. In the past 6 mo. there is a sorta squeaking sound. Coming from underneath every little bump/turn. Banging from underneath in back last year was fixed. Now another banging coming from front. Mechanic tightened up everything-But still there. Windshield wiper rarely work as supposed to-usually need to adjust manually.

Favorite Features

I love the sliding back door (easy to get the kids out when close to cars). Turning corners -still takes corners smoothly. I like the turning radius (very small) I like the hiding area under middle row seats. The extra row of seats/storage depending on my needs. Love the arm rest in the front and the middle row seats.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders need to be in a better place, and more of them up front. Higher arm rest. Automatic headlight Turn On/off when car turns on/off. Front bumper needs to be higher-they are to low to ground for when the snow on the roads gets high. Better quality driver side floor mat. Don't use leather from pigs-when it is damp the car smells a little like a pig farm. Heat to the middle row seats- thankfully it has air conditioning but really needs heat also.

Still love the little guy but
By ajl

2008 Mazda 5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

An update to the previous review. I'd still buy this vehicle again. But I will echo previous reviewers comments. Still the original Toyos, but I have 4 snow tires for the winter,which I highly recommend (Low profile all seasons are not good for snow). The original Toyos might have 9000 miles on them and are half worn out.We have a suspension noise in the back that keeps coming back. Dealer has been great,even though we didn't buy it there. No steering issues, but there is a recall. A great little vehicle, but it does have its flaws (all cars do, they are complex machines) There is no such thing as a perfect car.

Favorite Features

Driving characteristics, sliding doors, fuel economy (have seen 30+mpg on the highway) still a great value even with all options.

Suggested Improvements

Another 20 horsepower would nice (or the turbo-diesel) Plastics still a bit cheap and scratch easily, hunger for tires. A few more storage places would be nice. Hopefully Mazda fixes these things on the 2012. Just don't change the Zoom Zoom feeling!

Get the touring model if you buy used
By Ken

2008 Mazda 5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

The Mazda 5's (2009 new models at the time) became very popular in cash for clunkers.If buying used (Hertz, Enterprise, etc have them) get the Touring model with CD changer, moonroof, leather wheel/shifter, LED taillights, fog lights, spoiler and side skirts for about $1,000 over a Sport (nearly $2,000 premium when new). We got ours at 32K in 8/09. Only negative is that nice looking low profile 17" tires do wear out faster than conventional wheels.Steering and versatility are outstanding. We love the Alpine 10.2" overhead DVD that we installed behind the moonroof. Note the recent 2007-2009 recall (also Mazda 3) for power steering. Stability control and traction control were not added until '09

Favorite Features

LED rear taillights, 6 disc CD changer, leather steering wheel and shift knob (touring model for previous items), rear A/C vents, stylish 17" alloy wheels, 6 passenger versatility, 2nd row console/cargo nets under seats, sporty handling (based on Mazda 3)

Suggested Improvements

Stability control and traction control not added until 2009; tinted windows (we got excellent aftermarket tinting); 6 speed automatic for improved gas mileage; longer lasting tires; interior plastics scratch easily on door panels and on console.

Almost got it
By JH

2008 Mazda 5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Mazda5 is very good overall. Mileage is about what the EPA says it should be; we do a bit better on the highway than their rating. Performance is good. We had the power steering defect for which Mazda has a technical service bulletin and are hoping they will recall it (there is a recall in Canada) because the tab was $600+ for the repair. Uneven tire wear is a problem. They wore unevenly early generating a wowwowwow sound. Wheel alignment must be on the outer fringes of possible to correct this. There is not enough travel for the driver's seat. Another inch or two of driver leg room is badly needed. Overall, it is a very good package and I would buy again esp. if driver position is improved

Favorite Features

Size, overall concept, flexibility, visibility are all great. Six seats with rear folding seat is very useful. Sliding rear side doors are a best feature. Rear seat leg room is excellent; could sacrifice a bit to gain more drivers' seat travel.

Suggested Improvements

Needs more driver leg room. Might help if raising the seat did not move the seat forward so much. Auto heating/AC system control is fiddly; hard to maintain constant temp without hot or cold air blowing on you. Electro mirror is a waste; works poorly until very dark outside. Tire profile too low.