2008 Mazda Mazda5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda5 model:
Some problems to note, great interior
By Chris1031 on 05/25/10 18:02 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Great interior layout and having the various seating options. The seating work well with our children. Another pro has been the dual sliding doors, no need to worry about the children opening their doors and hitting another car. great gas mileage too! The cons of ownership of this car is that at 18,000 we needed to replace all 4 tires. Also, the bushings needed to be replaced as every time we went over a bump the car would squeak like it was 20 years old. The worst problem of all just happened last night. After 2 years of owning this car, I lost power steering suddenly while driving down the street - scary! Check out the TSB regarding steering.

So far, very happy!
By Nikki32 on 05/06/10 09:32 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

We needed a newer mini-van that would fit our family's needs and stay in budget. The Mazda5 drives great, much sportier than our sedans. Holds the corners very well, feeling very solid on the road. It is very comfortable for a family of 4. Easy to get the car seats in the bucket seats. Sliding doors make it super easy to get kids in and out, and we can park this car in a compact spot. It also fits in the garage easily. Even with our super height difference, my husband and I find it easy to drive and visibility is very good. Other minivans we test drove were bulky. This performs like a car. Even loaded with suitcases, it performs well. And the price was very reasonable.

What you see's what you get more or less
By dctoronto on 05/05/10 11:25 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Okay forget the zoom, zoom. This is a small mini van for families who primarily take short trips around town carrying 2 kids and a lot of stuff or 3-4 kids with bare essentials. If that is what you want, then the Mazda5 will not disappoint you. Fuel economy ought to be better but is respectable, fit, finish etc. is also satisfactory, as is driving experience and comfort (note I'm a large person too). Reliability has been fine except for the brakes which need an expensive servicing that, so far, the dealer claims is not covered by the warranty. Please note, I'm writing from Canada, U.S. customers might have different experience with warranty service.

Micro Mini Van does the Job
By Damian on 04/23/10 18:41 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

During the 15,000 miles I've been through the initial up the middle down and back up. Don't change the tires for heavier ones, leave it with the toyo's or use carlike light tires. Do that and you'll like this vehicle forever. It's zoom zoom and I really like it. My wife and I cruise we don't race and all our cars last long and never go to repair shops.

Good if you own a tire factory
By CWF on 04/17/10 07:56 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Bought new in '08 and initially really liked the sporty handling and versatility. But, tires got really loud before 10,000 miles. Dealership was useless; said we should rotate more often, even though we always rotate at 5-6K. Disappointed in Edmunds and other car sites for not warning about design flaw that eats tires, and has been doing so for years. A Google search will turn up hundreds of complaints about excessive tire wear. Looking at another car mag, it appears that Mazda may have fixed the suspension problem in the 09's. To bad for us that we bought the 08. Anyone looking to buy a sharp looking, tire eating, used micro van?

Mazda5 Sport; The jury is still out
By PFZ on 03/20/10 14:43 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Bought "Zoom-zoom" 10 days ago to replace a 1992 Mitsubishi Expo 2.4 which died a natural mechanical death. The Expo beat this Zoom-zoom hands down for roominess, steering, visibility. Zoom-zoom's SMALL third side window prevents decent rear visibility for backing up. From the front seats the front of the car is out of sight, the shifting console lights are misplaced, the steering wheel covers the top third of the speed indicator dial, the key is built into remote control case. The outside trim is too close to the ground. The lack of separate bumpers look like an attempt at profiteering. My ratings reflect lack of trust rather than long standing observations.

Great Vehicle, Snow Far
By MattC on 02/28/10 21:31 PM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

We leased for 2 years and would probably buy it, but for the issue of snow driving. It is a problem for my wife, and I notice a big difference from our other car, which is a wagon. If you live nearer to the equator, it's really a great car.

maintenance costs - beware
By TKK on 02/18/10 19:00 PM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Have had the car almost two years. Every 30K miles maintenance runs $750! Cheap price to buy, with expensive maintenance. Wouldn't buy another Mazda for this reason. My past Honda's didn't require this much maintenance.

Loving the 5 III
By Johnny on 02/17/10 11:07 AM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Now with almost 20,000 miles. At 46 years old, I still love my little run about, though I have been told it doesn't fit my "image". I don't care, it's still fun to drive. Works great for our two kids and still don't know anyone else who has one. I like being exclusive. A covered console is still high on my list of wants, no privacy. I also wish it was traction control equipped, but believe the 09 or 10 now have it. Still drive it fast and like the ZOOM ZOOM. Would buy another one in a second! Chevrolet is going to build a competitor called the Orlando. Oh, also wish the sliding doors were power.

Still Happy After a Year
By cobracoach on 01/17/10 19:25 PM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I traded a Tribute on this car and have not regretted the decision, other than my need for towing my lawn mower on occasion. Fuel economy is consistently in the 27-28 mpg area and have two tanks to go 33 and 35 on trips. I've owned several Hondas and find this comparable to Honda quality and performance, and greatly superior to the 1999 Odessey I owned. Space is adequate and the hidden cubbies are fantastic. Others complain about the short seat, but I find them extremely comfortable. I got stranded one time when I couldn't get the gas cap off and the tank was almost on empty and I was 100 miles from home. Had to break out the cap, but problem has not reoccurred.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Mazda Mazda5 in NJ is:

$190 per month*