Used 2008 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mazda Mazda5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda5 model:

ONLY 3 row US vehicle w/ manual tranny!
By Dave

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Perfect for a small family. If you're worried it won't do for the family vacation, don't fear! With the cash you save in purchase and fuel over a minivan you can rent a minivan if ever you need to!

Favorite Features

Manual transmission, super easy to get baby seat kids i/o of row 2 and keep their older sibs in row 3. Handles great. Super turn radius. We rented a Renault Scenic in the UK and loved having three rows and a 6 speed manual transmission. This is the closest thing to it here.

Suggested Improvements

I'm 6' and while I'm plenty comfortable in this vehicle, my view of the instrumentation is blocked to a great degree by the steering wheel.

Excellent mileage!
By bonboa

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased this vehicle on a Monday and it was delivered to me on Wednesday September 10, 2008, and it was worth the extra wait. The silver is (in my opinion) the best color for this vehicle! I am a confirmed Honda man. I only purchase Honda products just because that is what I've always done. All I have to say is this, Honda better watch their "6". This is a wonderful car 30.5 mpg mixed cty/hwy! This car is better than a Honda. I've owned 5 so far and may dedicate all future purchases to Mazda.

Favorite Features

2008 Mazda 5 sport, sunlight silver, 5 speed auto, with customer preferred package. Favorite? relatively quiet, alloy wheels, and sportiness 30.5 mpg in mixed hwy/city? not even my 2003 Accord can do that!

Suggested Improvements

Perfect for husband, wife and three kids
By theescarletandgray

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I am 6'3" tall and wanted to get better gas mileage than my Aztek, but I didn't want to sacrifice a ton of leg room. My wife and I shopped for a RAV4, but the lack of leg room scared me away, specifically around the knees. The Mazda 5 has good leg room and is comfortable. My children can easily open and close the sliding doors. With a new child on the way one of the two other children is already looking forward to the third row. With the third row folded down there is plenty of storage space. When people are in the third row there is very little room, only enough for an umbrella stroller. This car is perfect for my daily commute. It is great for short jaunts or day trips.

Favorite Features

The autostick makes driving a little more exciting and is great for on-ramp merges or highway passing. I have gotten used to the Bluetooth and miss it in my other vehicle. This car handles great and the seats are comfortable. The underseat storage is unique and very useful.

Suggested Improvements

It would be nice if the driver's seat went back one more notch, but I understand this car wasn't built for NBA centers. The vehicle doesn't come with tinted windows. I got them as an option to shade the children in the back.

Nice little thing
By Trurl

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Test drove all existing minivans and finally chose Mazda 5 as a compromise between practicality of a "grown up" minivan and drivability of a sedan. Considering its price this is nearly perfect vehicle: tiny outside but somehow very roomy inside - must be some sci-fi trick, unless it just a very thoughtful design. I also like the build quality and hope for a good reliability. And by the way, why don't they put sliding doors on all cars?

Favorite Features

Small size. Lot of room. Sliding doors.

Suggested Improvements

Not impressed with gas mileage so far - but this is a minivan, right?

Futuristic surfer wagon
By Calzone

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Tried the Mazda5. LOVED it. Comfortable seating, spacious interior, ample cargo space, great price, peppy and fun to drive. Haven't encountered snow yet; thinking the manual overdrive will come in handy then. I highly recommend the Mazda5 to small families or anyone who wants an affordable, cargo-worthy vehicle. 22 mpg in suburban driving conditions.

Favorite Features

Peppy engine; comfortable seating; space!

Suggested Improvements

For peace of mind I'd like to see stability control added. Some kind of retractable cargo cover like I've seen in Subaru Outbacks would add a nice touch.