2008 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda5 model:
very good car for small family
By dandepriest on 04/15/14 08:55 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

To be honest, at my age, I kind of miss the roominess and lush comfort of the Chrysler Town and Country we once had. But for value, fuel economy, utility, and reliability I can't say I've ever owned or even known of a better car than our Mazda 5 Grand Touring van. We've put 50K miles on it over two years. A lot of long trips. It's a bit compact for a van but it does seat six comfortably, although two adults in the rear-most bench seat would eventually feel a bit cramped on a long trip. And with six people on an over-night trip there won't be much room for luggage so pack light. The manual indicates that the Mazda 5 is not designed for towing and that it should never be used for that. Howeve

Good and Bad
By bsdgbach on 05/27/11 10:39 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

This van is nice for a short person (under 5'2") Even with the front seat all the way back a 6' person is crunched up. I get the recommended oil changes and every time I go there is a problem that ends up costing $$$. I even with warranty on it. I have replaced the tires. We bought this in mid 08. with in 6 months the 1 of the brakes had a problem. In the past 6 mo. there is a sorta squeaking sound. Coming from underneath every little bump/turn. Banging from underneath in back last year was fixed. Now another banging coming from front. Mechanic tightened up everything-But still there. Windshield wiper rarely work as supposed to-usually need to adjust manually.

Still love the little guy but
By ajl on 11/21/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

An update to the previous review. I'd still buy this vehicle again. But I will echo previous reviewers comments. Still the original Toyos, but I have 4 snow tires for the winter,which I highly recommend (Low profile all seasons are not good for snow). The original Toyos might have 9000 miles on them and are half worn out.We have a suspension noise in the back that keeps coming back. Dealer has been great,even though we didn't buy it there. No steering issues, but there is a recall. A great little vehicle, but it does have its flaws (all cars do, they are complex machines) There is no such thing as a perfect car.

Safety Hazard
By AndyM on 07/23/10 20:02 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Less than 2 years old and the power steering failed with my wife and child in the car, rotors were replaced once as they were severely warped that affect stopping and are shuddering again, this is a piece of junk. Service costs are crazy and Mazda Customer Service is pointless - I'll never buy another Mazda. I'm off to get a Ford or Chrysler

Wagon? Van? Whatever! It's fun!!
By ajl on 12/21/09 05:45 AM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

After shopping every small SUV out there, and the only real competitor to the 5 when we bought it (the Kia Rondo), we bought our 08 Mazda 5 Grand Touring new in May of 09. After 6000 miles, it's still fun to drive and the mileage keeps getting better as the motor breaks in.It's based on the Mazda 3, considered one of the best driving small cars out there, so it drives and handles like a taller version of that car. If you need a capable vehicle for a small family that's fun to drive, look no further! I cannot say enough about how great this vehicle is to drive. Averaging about 21 mpg in mostly hilly, stop and go driving.

A great vehicle
By ajl on 05/15/09 05:15 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

We looked at everything in this price class,new and used. CR-V, RAV 4, Subaru Forester, Kia Rondo,Suzuki Grand Vitara. Nothing offered the combination of fun and function like the Mazda. This is not meant as a replacement for the minivan from Honda, Toyota,etc. You must drive this "microvan" before passing judgment on it. If you appreciate sharp steering and handling over a softer ride, you will not be disappointed. Bottom line: If you need to haul a small family around or just some stuff AND have fun doing it, the Mazda 5 is for you! It was for us! For those complaining about snow traction. Get four snow tires. 205/50/17 all season tires were never meant for snow!

Great little vehicle!
By Steve on 03/10/09 16:40 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

We looked at all vans, but balked at the $! Mazda hit it right with price and features. We have 2 teens, and most of the time the 3rd seat is folded flat. Much usable space this way, and easy to convert if hauling more kids around. Tough going in the snow, the GT wheels look cool, but the wide, low profile tires are tough in the snow. As I told my wife, they do plow here, and we only had issue when everyone else did too, so no biggie. Love the Bluetooth, all the nooks and crannies, and total flexibility in this good looking little mover. We also love how sporty it drives, how well it parks and fits in the garage, and the zesty copper paint!

Great Car
By AdoboDude on 11/23/08 23:22 PM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Bought the car on Dec 31, 2007. 2008 Mazda 5 GT. Power is adequate. Acceleration is ok, handling is superb, great gas mileage. About 23-25 mpg in LA traffic, but I did log 31 mpg going to San Francisco with 3 adults and 2 kids. Took me a long time to decide between the new CRV to the 5, but I sincerely believe that I made the right choice.

My New Mini- MiniVan !
By NAA on 11/10/08 13:01 PM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

We were looking for good gas mileage, the right price with optional 6 passenger seating when we spotted a 2008 Mazda 5. It is easy for the kids to open the sliding doors to get in and out. The second row seating is comfortable and has a great bin for toys and cups. Now I can pick up my friends kids or transport family when I need to. The Mazda 5 third row folds down so easily when not in use. I can't believe the ergonomic storage room . I bought a snow blower for my husband and there was no problem sliding it in the back of the car with room to spare. My 6'4 husband fits in the drivers seat but the glove box in the pass is tight. We are pleased with the overall performance of the 5.

Mazda5 Notes
By KHS on 10/25/08 06:22 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Traded my Volvo 940 Wagon for the Mazda5 GT. Use primarily for business. I need cargo room, and hate SUVs. First, the gas mileage is awesome... 39 mpg on my recent road trip. Easy vehicle to work from. Sliding doors help. No mechanical issues, noises, squeaks or rattles. Really solid car. However, I miss the comfort of my Volvo. The seat bottoms are too short, and too narrow. The climate controls are way too complicated. The gas & brake pedals are too close together. As others have noted, the interior plastics are poor quality, and scuff easily. Storage is sparse. Map pockets in the doors are preferred to the bottle holders. There is a storage pocket behind the driver's seat only.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.