2008 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda5 model:
Great little van
By dharbin on 03/08/14 00:08 AM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

We have almost 100K miles on the 5 -- purchased with 42K in 2011, and we have put almost 20K a year on it since. It's been reliable and economical to operate, and adequate for our family of 5 (including 3 young girls). A little tight for the several road trips we have taken (several times to Chicago, Connecticut and Florida), but a rooftop box solves the space problem. Fuel economy ranges from 23 in town to 30 on the highway (driving at 70 without cargo box.) Overall average of 25 mpg, usually with 3 kids inside.

Not Bad.
By dudechuck on 06/21/11 12:56 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

We bought the Mazda5 based on a my wife's friend. She had one and loved it. She had the '07, and by reading reviews we settled on the '08. It was nice for a family of four, once our child was able to seat forward facing. There is not enough room for a rear facing car seat in the second row. You can do it but the person in the front seat has to scoot way up for and it is not comfortable. It was reliable all except the power steering would go out. It was repleced on a recall for free and we did not have any further problems. It was terrible in the snow and got stuck several times in a few inches of snow. The engine is also way to small for the vehicle, with limited highway power.

Get the touring model if you buy used
By Ken on 08/30/10 13:21 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

The Mazda 5's (2009 new models at the time) became very popular in cash for clunkers.If buying used (Hertz, Enterprise, etc have them) get the Touring model with CD changer, moonroof, leather wheel/shifter, LED taillights, fog lights, spoiler and side skirts for about $1,000 over a Sport (nearly $2,000 premium when new). We got ours at 32K in 8/09. Only negative is that nice looking low profile 17" tires do wear out faster than conventional wheels.Steering and versatility are outstanding. We love the Alpine 10.2" overhead DVD that we installed behind the moonroof. Note the recent 2007-2009 recall (also Mazda 3) for power steering. Stability control and traction control were not added until '09

What you see's what you get more or less
By dctoronto on 05/05/10 11:25 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Okay forget the zoom, zoom. This is a small mini van for families who primarily take short trips around town carrying 2 kids and a lot of stuff or 3-4 kids with bare essentials. If that is what you want, then the Mazda5 will not disappoint you. Fuel economy ought to be better but is respectable, fit, finish etc. is also satisfactory, as is driving experience and comfort (note I'm a large person too). Reliability has been fine except for the brakes which need an expensive servicing that, so far, the dealer claims is not covered by the warranty. Please note, I'm writing from Canada, U.S. customers might have different experience with warranty service.

maintenance costs - beware
By TKK on 02/18/10 19:00 PM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Have had the car almost two years. Every 30K miles maintenance runs $750! Cheap price to buy, with expensive maintenance. Wouldn't buy another Mazda for this reason. My past Honda's didn't require this much maintenance.

Loving the 5 III
By Johnny on 02/17/10 11:07 AM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Now with almost 20,000 miles. At 46 years old, I still love my little run about, though I have been told it doesn't fit my "image". I don't care, it's still fun to drive. Works great for our two kids and still don't know anyone else who has one. I like being exclusive. A covered console is still high on my list of wants, no privacy. I also wish it was traction control equipped, but believe the 09 or 10 now have it. Still drive it fast and like the ZOOM ZOOM. Would buy another one in a second! Chevrolet is going to build a competitor called the Orlando. Oh, also wish the sliding doors were power.

Loving the 5 II
By Johnny on 07/31/09 19:08 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

It's been almost a year now since I bought the 5. It is my daily commuter. I was told to drive it like a sports car and I do. Commonly doing 85 in the interstate. Love the size and ease in parking. Still don't see many around and it fits our family of four. Better gas mileage than our Honda Oddy. Only issue with the 5 was that I couldn't get the gas cap off. It was a recall. All is fixed. I would buy another. Recently took it on four hour vacation, everything fit and mileage was great. Cant wait to see what the new one will look like. Most people don't know what it is. I like that. It stands out in a crowd.

Great buy!
By Mike on 07/02/09 15:58 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

We bought this car as a family car just a few months ago and we could not be happier! We also looked around for sometime before we decided on the 5.

Perfect family car
By Family of 4 on 05/01/09 08:16 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Excellent Car. Have a family of 4 and needed the extra row in case we drove family and or friends. The kids love the sliding doors, and the storage under the seats. My wife and I love the excellent gas mileage. It is easy to drive - perfect for around town. Turns on a dime and has plenty of zoom. The other night I helped a friend move two couches - no problem with the seats down. Interior space is surprisingly large. With the 3rd row seats up, you have plenty of room for groceries. This car is perfect for a family watching their money.

I am in love!!
By dopey on 11/14/08 12:48 PM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I love this car!! It has every feature you want. I didn't want an suv or mini- van. This car is perfect. It is so much fun to drive. I didn't like the style at first. The car grows on you. All my neighbors compliment the car every time I see them. It's great for a small family. My 2 and half year old loves having his own seat too. The only down fall is my stroller fits on an angle. Also, the automatic car starter from Mazda is awesome. It worth every penny.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.