2008 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda5 model:
Some problems to note, great interior
By Chris1031 on 05/25/10 18:02 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Great interior layout and having the various seating options. The seating work well with our children. Another pro has been the dual sliding doors, no need to worry about the children opening their doors and hitting another car. great gas mileage too! The cons of ownership of this car is that at 18,000 we needed to replace all 4 tires. Also, the bushings needed to be replaced as every time we went over a bump the car would squeak like it was 20 years old. The worst problem of all just happened last night. After 2 years of owning this car, I lost power steering suddenly while driving down the street - scary! Check out the TSB regarding steering.

Great Vehicle, Snow Far
By MattC on 02/28/10 21:31 PM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

We leased for 2 years and would probably buy it, but for the issue of snow driving. It is a problem for my wife, and I notice a big difference from our other car, which is a wagon. If you live nearer to the equator, it's really a great car.

I Love My Minivan mazda5
By nmac on 11/30/09 15:18 PM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I ended up buying Mazda 5 over a year ago after giving my Jeep Grand Cherokee to my daughter who needed a car desperately at the time. I did a research on which vehicle will have a good decent mileage and can seat 6 people and I found this one with the help of edmunds.com...Thanks again for your support! I surely do appreciate this free service here. I love this car because it drives like a car and not like those regular family vans. The MPG is also a factor that's why I went for this Mazda. I put in about 450 miles on average trip such as grocery shopping and taking my teenager to and from school activities. Overall, this is very nice and it does the job of minivan/car that carries 6 pax.>

I just cant wait to get rid of it!!!!!!
By Really not liking it on 09/20/09 19:59 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

So we have now had this car for a little over a year and i would honestly say that i have had nothing but problems.After two months of purchase we hit a stick in the middle of the road and ended up with a whole the size of a softball in the gas tank and that was not covered by warranty. We have had to purchase several gas caps costing $65 each and a new gas intake. I also have had water spraying out the vents with the air conditioner on.This should not happen when you buy a new car all we have done is put more money in to this car then its worth and to top it off its such a hard car to try and trade in for a better car the dealerships DON'T WANT IT. I will never purchase a Mazda AGAIN ~!!!

It's Okay but I would not buy another
By crankychick on 05/11/09 09:50 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Have had our vehicle for over a year. Power steering keeps cutting out, brakes squeak like mad in the rain, dealer seems unable to fix either problem. We drive 34,000 km per year, are a family of 5 with 3 smaller sized teens, this is our only car. No where in the middle seats to put a drink down (our vehicle does not have the under seat fold out holder - which is annoying in itself). The back window never seems to stay clean, no matter how often we wash it, car washes seem to never get the whole back of the car. It is fun to drive, and looks great, gets excellent mileage BUT it is uncomfortable, and the person in the back row is either hot or cold. Needs AWD for North American snow

ONLY 3 row US vehicle w/ manual tranny!
By Dave on 09/23/08 08:21 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Perfect for a small family. If you're worried it won't do for the family vacation, don't fear! With the cash you save in purchase and fuel over a minivan you can rent a minivan if ever you need to!

Lots to like, a little to dislike
By Dennis on 08/19/08 10:16 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the Sport with M/T. Vehicle meets all my needs, lots of room, decent fuel economy, good price. The manual trans takes some getting used to. It has a very light engagement and is very easy to "top" a gear. I definitely will be tinting the rear windows to keep things cooler but the A/C works great. With almost 3,000 miles on it I am averaging about 22 mpg. Since all my driving is around town I find this acceptable but wished for more. Manual adjusting seats required me to get out of the car to raise the seat level. If you are willing to keep the RPMs up, acceleration is good. Overall I am very pleased and hope time will prove me right.

Dad's Cool Car
By Kevin on 08/12/08 07:36 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I needed a roomy vehicle to accommodate our new baby (and all the stuff that comes along too) as well as provide good gas mileage for commuting 60 miles per day for work. Seeing as a manual transmission is almost a requirement for me, my choices were limited. I compared the Mazda5 to a few mid-size sedans and found that none could compare in terms of space or price. My wife, who always swore she would never drive a minivan, loves it so much that she now wants to learn how to drive a manual so that she can drive my car instead of her CR-V. Our baby loves it too :) The 5 is so fun to drive that I feel like I'm driving a sporty car, not a Micro-Van - great mix of fun and practicality.

Enjoying the zoom-zoom
By jmason on 08/09/08 04:31 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

We've had this car about 8 months (first 2008 out of the dealership) and have been very satisfied with it. Gas mileage is about what was estimated (actual- 22 city, 30 highway), which is good for a minivan. For a family of 4, each person gets their own seat with a huge trunk (rear seats down), with the option of ferrying a couple of friends around for short trips. For the price and value, I don't know why I don't see more on the road (although I see more in Canada). Only issue that I see so far is the front grille seems too low to the ground and I worry about hitting it on a concrete divider when parking in a public lot.

Great vehicle for large families too!
By jill reed on 04/14/08 21:50 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

We are a family of six and went from an Expedition to the Mazda5. Great car, we all fit very comfortably, no complaints there. The gas mileage rocks, very hard to find a sporty vehicle that fits the whole family and gets great gas mileage! Love it.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.