Used 2008 Mazda Mazda5 Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mazda Mazda5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda5 model:

Some problems to note, great interior
By Chris1031

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Great interior layout and having the various seating options. The seating work well with our children. Another pro has been the dual sliding doors, no need to worry about the children opening their doors and hitting another car. great gas mileage too! The cons of ownership of this car is that at 18,000 we needed to replace all 4 tires. Also, the bushings needed to be replaced as every time we went over a bump the car would squeak like it was 20 years old. The worst problem of all just happened last night. After 2 years of owning this car, I lost power steering suddenly while driving down the street - scary! Check out the TSB regarding steering.

Favorite Features

Interior - seating options.

Suggested Improvements

Tires needing to be replaced to early on. Squeaky bushings needing to be replaced. TSB (not a recall) on steering issues on select Mazda 5 (mine just happens to be one of them and I was less than impressed to lose power steering suddenly while driving).

Great Vehicle, Snow Far
By MattC

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

We leased for 2 years and would probably buy it, but for the issue of snow driving. It is a problem for my wife, and I notice a big difference from our other car, which is a wagon. If you live nearer to the equator, it's really a great car.

Favorite Features

4 passenger seats that fold down, amount of space, comfortable to drive for someone 6'2"

Suggested Improvements

Noisy on the highway occasionally and too bad the mileage isn't better.

I Love My Minivan mazda5
By nmac

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I ended up buying Mazda 5 over a year ago after giving my Jeep Grand Cherokee to my daughter who needed a car desperately at the time. I did a research on which vehicle will have a good decent mileage and can seat 6 people and I found this one with the help of edmunds.com...Thanks again for your support! I surely do appreciate this free service here. I love this car because it drives like a car and not like those regular family vans. The MPG is also a factor that's why I went for this Mazda. I put in about 450 miles on average trip such as grocery shopping and taking my teenager to and from school activities. Overall, this is very nice and it does the job of minivan/car that carries 6 pax.>

Favorite Features

The car like driving experience and the smooth gliding side doors.

Suggested Improvements

I suggest that they make the tires higher from the ground cause it's just too low for me. I'm now thinking of trading it in for a Jeep Patriot or other SUV under 25K. Other than that, I would love to keep this until it falls apart on me. Please make the ground clearance higher and 35 plus MPGS.

I just cant wait to get rid of it!!!!!!
By Really not liking it

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

So we have now had this car for a little over a year and i would honestly say that i have had nothing but problems.After two months of purchase we hit a stick in the middle of the road and ended up with a whole the size of a softball in the gas tank and that was not covered by warranty. We have had to purchase several gas caps costing $65 each and a new gas intake. I also have had water spraying out the vents with the air conditioner on.This should not happen when you buy a new car all we have done is put more money in to this car then its worth and to top it off its such a hard car to try and trade in for a better car the dealerships DON'T WANT IT. I will never purchase a Mazda AGAIN ~!!!

Favorite Features

It gets great gas mileage, The sliding doors and the manual transmission.

Suggested Improvements

More room in the car its not easy to fill all the seats cause there is no room for all the people and baggage

It's Okay but I would not buy another
By crankychick

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Have had our vehicle for over a year. Power steering keeps cutting out, brakes squeak like mad in the rain, dealer seems unable to fix either problem. We drive 34,000 km per year, are a family of 5 with 3 smaller sized teens, this is our only car. No where in the middle seats to put a drink down (our vehicle does not have the under seat fold out holder - which is annoying in itself). The back window never seems to stay clean, no matter how often we wash it, car washes seem to never get the whole back of the car. It is fun to drive, and looks great, gets excellent mileage BUT it is uncomfortable, and the person in the back row is either hot or cold. Needs AWD for North American snow

Favorite Features

Love the look of the car, the sliding door panels, and it is fun to drive. The wipers come on automatically when it rains - love that feature!

Suggested Improvements

Must have AWD for Northern Climates, power windows should be able to go up even if car is off! Drink holders for center row (not as an extra) Temperature adjustment for back row, front bumper too low for snowy climates should be raised just a little. Seating should be more comfortable - adjustable