2008 Mazda Mazda5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda5 model:
Low Profile Wheels=Lots of Trouble!
By arecktenwald on 04/28/14 10:56 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

We've had our Mazda 5 for 5 years now and have put three full sets of tires on it and at least 2 other random replacements- and it only has 95k miles on it- all highway. The low profile wheels don't last and are fairly expensive to replace. In addition, our transmission gave out in year 2 and had to be completely replaced (luckily all covered by the warranty). Also, the wheel alignment is not great (perhaps lending to the massive tire consumption) nor are the shocks at this point. So the ride is less than smooth. The first two years we LOVED the car, but it certainly has not aged well.

very good car for small family
By dandepriest on 04/15/14 08:55 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

To be honest, at my age, I kind of miss the roominess and lush comfort of the Chrysler Town and Country we once had. But for value, fuel economy, utility, and reliability I can't say I've ever owned or even known of a better car than our Mazda 5 Grand Touring van. We've put 50K miles on it over two years. A lot of long trips. It's a bit compact for a van but it does seat six comfortably, although two adults in the rear-most bench seat would eventually feel a bit cramped on a long trip. And with six people on an over-night trip there won't be much room for luggage so pack light. The manual indicates that the Mazda 5 is not designed for towing and that it should never be used for that. Howeve

Great little van
By dharbin on 03/08/14 00:08 AM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

We have almost 100K miles on the 5 -- purchased with 42K in 2011, and we have put almost 20K a year on it since. It's been reliable and economical to operate, and adequate for our family of 5 (including 3 young girls). A little tight for the several road trips we have taken (several times to Chicago, Connecticut and Florida), but a rooftop box solves the space problem. Fuel economy ranges from 23 in town to 30 on the highway (driving at 70 without cargo box.) Overall average of 25 mpg, usually with 3 kids inside.

Suprisingly fun to drive van!
By tristanboy on 06/10/13 19:55 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Bought this car used. Currently around 34,000 miles. Averaging around 24 mpg mixed. Car has a decent amount of pep for around town, lacking in passing power. Responsive 5-speed auto, with manual control. Love the space for 6, although if all seats are up there is small cargo space behind the third row. Clever packaging and storage with the huge glovebox and flip open second row bottoms. Love the armrests. Steering feel is lively. A bit of wind noise at highway speeds. Beware of suspension problems with the 5. I have noticed some creaking, look into it before buying.

Transmission failed at 65,000 miles
By melissad1 on 07/30/12 15:42 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I bought a used 2008 Mazda5 two years ago. It has been a fairly decent car, good interior space and gas mileage. Recently, the AT light came on. I took it to our local reliable mechanic. The car now needs a new transmission. I called and pleaded our case with the local Mazda dealership and with Mazda US. Neither of them will do anything to help us. They won't even offer discounted parts. It is ridiculous that the transmission would fail at 65,000 miles. It is even more ridiculous that Mazda doesn't stand behind their cars. I cannot recommend that anyone purchase this car or any Mazda for that matter.

Not Bad.
By dudechuck on 06/21/11 12:56 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

We bought the Mazda5 based on a my wife's friend. She had one and loved it. She had the '07, and by reading reviews we settled on the '08. It was nice for a family of four, once our child was able to seat forward facing. There is not enough room for a rear facing car seat in the second row. You can do it but the person in the front seat has to scoot way up for and it is not comfortable. It was reliable all except the power steering would go out. It was repleced on a recall for free and we did not have any further problems. It was terrible in the snow and got stuck several times in a few inches of snow. The engine is also way to small for the vehicle, with limited highway power.

Good and Bad
By bsdgbach on 05/27/11 10:39 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

This van is nice for a short person (under 5'2") Even with the front seat all the way back a 6' person is crunched up. I get the recommended oil changes and every time I go there is a problem that ends up costing $$$. I even with warranty on it. I have replaced the tires. We bought this in mid 08. with in 6 months the 1 of the brakes had a problem. In the past 6 mo. there is a sorta squeaking sound. Coming from underneath every little bump/turn. Banging from underneath in back last year was fixed. Now another banging coming from front. Mechanic tightened up everything-But still there. Windshield wiper rarely work as supposed to-usually need to adjust manually.

Still love the little guy but
By ajl on 11/21/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

An update to the previous review. I'd still buy this vehicle again. But I will echo previous reviewers comments. Still the original Toyos, but I have 4 snow tires for the winter,which I highly recommend (Low profile all seasons are not good for snow). The original Toyos might have 9000 miles on them and are half worn out.We have a suspension noise in the back that keeps coming back. Dealer has been great,even though we didn't buy it there. No steering issues, but there is a recall. A great little vehicle, but it does have its flaws (all cars do, they are complex machines) There is no such thing as a perfect car.

Get the touring model if you buy used
By Ken on 08/30/10 13:21 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

The Mazda 5's (2009 new models at the time) became very popular in cash for clunkers.If buying used (Hertz, Enterprise, etc have them) get the Touring model with CD changer, moonroof, leather wheel/shifter, LED taillights, fog lights, spoiler and side skirts for about $1,000 over a Sport (nearly $2,000 premium when new). We got ours at 32K in 8/09. Only negative is that nice looking low profile 17" tires do wear out faster than conventional wheels.Steering and versatility are outstanding. We love the Alpine 10.2" overhead DVD that we installed behind the moonroof. Note the recent 2007-2009 recall (also Mazda 3) for power steering. Stability control and traction control were not added until '09

Almost got it
By JH on 08/25/10 12:39 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda Mazda5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Mazda5 is very good overall. Mileage is about what the EPA says it should be; we do a bit better on the highway than their rating. Performance is good. We had the power steering defect for which Mazda has a technical service bulletin and are hoping they will recall it (there is a recall in Canada) because the tab was $600+ for the repair. Uneven tire wear is a problem. They wore unevenly early generating a wowwowwow sound. Wheel alignment must be on the outer fringes of possible to correct this. There is not enough travel for the driver's seat. Another inch or two of driver leg room is badly needed. Overall, it is a very good package and I would buy again esp. if driver position is improved

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.