2007 Mazda Mazda5 Sport Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Mazda5 model:

Sort Reviews by

Fun Family Car
By Daisy

2007 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

We looked at everything from the Ford Edge, the Pacifica to the Honda CRV and Toyota Rav4. While each of these models have some cool features the Mazda5 had the basic cool features, PLUS family roominess, fuel economy, sleek looks, and zoom zoom for less money than all the others we looked at. We are so, so pleased with our purchase. Mazda has the quality that provides peace of mind too. The most fun about this vehicle is the fact that we get a fun to drive family car with fuel economy. It only took $31 to fill 'er up from less than 1/4 of a tank so that is nice and we got about 330 miles out of it. LOVE IT!

Favorite Features

Sleek looks, two sliding doors, nice size "toy"/luggage rack, storage compartments under the middle seats and multiple cup holders too. Easy to use fold down seating. Smaller engine but plenty of zoom and great gas mileage for what it is.

Suggested Improvements

Could use more power outlets (two is not enough nowadays for families with iPods, in car DVDs, laptops, and hand held kids video games). Arm rest for passenger side seat. Make an iPod/MP3 jack standard on all radios!!

Not All Good Things Can Be Perfect.
By the mazda5

2007 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Pretty good, but its huge list of features have to include the following in the next 2 years: a 5 or 6 speed automatic, rear air conditioning, standard tinted windows, an available V6 [maybe from the Mazda6], a panoramic sunroof =D, power sliding doors, Bose speakers, a better screen for the navigation system, a smoother transition between gears, 2nd row outboard armrests, dual zone auto-climate control, power front seats, a "shark fin" antenna instead of the weird one it has now, a bigger center console, and more power outlets. Other than that, it's a great car with a bunch of features packed into a crossover that is a hit worldwide. If only they advertised it more openly... who knows?

Favorite Features

Available navigation system, manual-shifting capabilities for the automatic transmission, 3 rows + 6 seats, auto-climate control, outside temp. indicator, bright lights, roomy for a car smaller than a Camry, and a bunch of other stuff!

Suggested Improvements

See upper review.

A work in progress
By Probstc

2007 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

We recently purchased a Mazda5 GT Standard. As all Mazdas I have previously owned, this one too has the "Zoom Zoom" in it. However, there are 2 issues I find most disturbing: After 3 weeks, our car with a supposedly full alarm system was broken into. It seems the engineers forgot to protect the small back windows and the crook busted the window and grabbed what he / she could. In all the repairs took 3 weeks to complete due to parts on back order and cost a fortune (most paid by my insurance). The car seems less than happy in the Canadian cold and several parts of the suspension have already had to be replaced, despite the car being less than 4 months old.

Favorite Features

Compact outer design coupled with roomy interior. Handling. Sporty features on the GT (e.g. sunroof).

Suggested Improvements

Alarm system that does not completely protect the car. Car's sensitivity to cold. Fuel economy

Best Mini-Mini Van (and it seats 6!)
By artemaria

2007 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

We were going to buy a Honda Odyssey, then we test drove the Mazda5. Once we test drove the Mazda5, we never made it back to the Honda dealership. The Mazda5 is a great value for a three row seating car. It looks great (better in person than in the pictures), is compact and is an absolute blast to drive. I've driven it 75 mph with 5 adults and a kid in it and it still zoomed. The leather seats are great and have held up well to the punishment our kids dish out. The fuel economy is okay, but I thought that it would be better (the fuel economy is about the same as a current CR-V which is about the same size).

Favorite Features

Handling, external style, size, heated leather seats, acceleration, interior, build quality (made in Japan), timing chain, nice interior ergonomics and design, easy access 3rd row, highway mpg.

Suggested Improvements

AWD, rear upper vents (rear lower vents are under the front row seats), roof rack, city mpg could improve.

Just a newby, but...
By Ipsedixit7963

2007 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this after many months of test driving. Saw this after driving a Mazda 3. Took an auto for a drive, but wanted a 5-speed. I look forward to getting out on the road! This thing zips around. I can't wait to see what kind of real gas mileage I get. It's a versatile little wagon and a commuter all in one. I'll have to get a few after-market add-ons, as the 5-speed is only available in the Sport model. This super mini is functional for my family. I needed a commuter vehicle with room for hauling stuff, and an around-town scooter for the family. A great (different) change from my Saab wagon.

Favorite Features

I love the head room, but I can see where a long-legged person might suffer. Sporty feel. versatility: commuter (gas mileage), passenger mover, cargo space. Stiff ride. The fact I don't see many. Built in Japan (I hope this means very few, if any, German parts).

Suggested Improvements

More options available on Sport model. I guess you can't be picky when there are so few of these on American roads. Some may want more power. Maybe a MazdaSpeed5 with a turbo?

Great Concept
By Michael K

2007 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

In a class of its own as an much smaller alternative to a minivan. I love the car-like feeling, great visibility, smooth ride. I have had some quality issues, though. The transmission seems to slip occasionally, the drive wheels spin when starting on wet pavement, the suspension creaks in cold weather. I would buy one again anyway, as there in nothing else on the market that meets my needs like this vehicle.

Favorite Features

Minivan-style seating for 6 in a teeny, fuel efficient package. Lightweight doors and hatch let my 6 and 8 year old girls get in an out independently. Excellent sound with optional Sirius on standard 4 speaker sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the build quality. I would have gladly paid $5K more for a higher quality version of this car. Make a hybrid version.

Base model Mazda5 Sport impresses
By Minneapolitan

2007 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Traveling in Europe, I was taken with the compact minivan "space wagons." With our second child on the way, my wife and I were ready to give up her Saturn SL2 and get into something w/ easier access to car seats. She was also anxious to get that higher vantage point a minivan or SUV driver seat could offer. So we picked up a 2007 Mazda5 Sport automatic. What went into our decision to purchase the Mazda5 was (in order of importance) the exterior styling, the sliding rear doors (great for tight parking spots), Mazda's superb fit and finish (both interior and exterior), ride (quiet, responsive, comfortable). Price. Small outside, big inside.

Favorite Features

Our base model 5 doesn't have tons of features (which is how we wanted it), but we like the dual sliding rear doors (effortlessly open and close), optional third row (effortless set up or hide away, and we can seat up to six comfortably), and the rear lift gate. Sight lines are fantastic.

Suggested Improvements

Mileage could be better. Arm rests on all the passenger seats. Way for driver to turn on all the interior lights at once, front/back (when you have children this is nice). I would disagree with the complaints about the 5 being underpowered, but then we're not lead foots hauling tons of stuff.

A sports car? A van? A Wagon?
By withapickle

2007 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Loaded with standards, blows away the competition, most versatile car around! Sporty, good looking, well made in Japan, seats 6, loads of room, fun!

Favorite Features

All the standard stuff...world class quality and driving fun.

Suggested Improvements

Turbo and all wheel drive.

what a great idea!
By bojo7364

2007 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

This car is the ideal small family vehicle. We have two little ones in car seats and moving them into and out of the vehicle is a breeze. We fold the third row seating flat and have a lot of cargo space too. It is so much smaller than a typical minivan that my wife is not intimidated by driving (and parking it). There is not a better vehicle for the small family still using car seats. The sliding doors are great!

Favorite Features

The sliding doors make it so easy to get kids in and out. The stereo sounds great and the vehicle has great looks for a family car.

Suggested Improvements

Armrests.

Good, yet nothing's perfect...
By OVERmotivated

2007 Mazda Mazda5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

My mom bought this car under my influence, and she likes it as much as I do. As the title states, nothing is perfect. Some of the flaws/missed things in this car would be the horsepower rating [153 hp], no DRLs, rear air conditioning, traction control/antiskid control, and at least a 5 speed auto to match. However, the rest of the car is nice, with automatic climate control and an available navigation system for under $22K. It has a nice suspension and it's really fun to drive! It's also very flexible, and if your family is small, then you won't need to worry about space. At least consider this car if you're looking for something versatile and small.

Favorite Features

The automatic/manual shift feature, under-seat storage space, adequate gas mileage, good braking/handling, nicely built, solid engine with a sporty growl, nicely designed for the conservative.

Suggested Improvements

Rear air conditioning, optional engine [perhaps, supercharger?], 5 speed auto [like in the Mazda3], available DRLs, tire pressure GAUGES, armrests for passenger and outboard in the 2nd row seats, better navi screen, power sliding doors, and maybe an uprated stereo system. Even though, still fine.