Used 2007 Mazda 5 Touring Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 model:

A True Multi-Purpose Vehicle
By jimmitime

2007 Mazda 5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it new because it had a lot to offer as our sole family vehicle.Original A/T tires are still fine. Driven it all over northwest USA & west Canada. Has been a good tow vehicle, we pulled a 2000lb trailer through snowy ID Lolo Pass, MT, WA and the rockies no problems. Handles suprisingly well in slippery conditions. Braking is great. Could do with more power but the tradeoff is decent fuel economy. Now at 30k miles. Have had to do nothing but oil changes. We'd definitely buy the 5 again. Has served us well. Our 3 kids have punished it inside and out so the paint does seem to scratch easily which is probably typical of all new vehicles these days with the bare minimum paint used.

Favorite Features

Practical & versatile. Good use of space throughout. Easy to drive & manouvre. Impressive work horse for a small van.

Suggested Improvements

Just a bit more engine grunt, try DOHC. Heated side-view mirrors. option to add middle seat in 2nd row. 12V outlet in back for DVD player & game stations. 6th gear for the manual as it currently revs at 3000+ at 100kmh. That would greatly improve highway mileage. scratch 'proof' coating on all paintwork inside & out.

A/C & brake disc issues
By karnollege

2007 Mazda 5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I love my 2007 Mazda 5 - see my post dating back to July 2007. None of those opinions have changed. However, a few months ago my a/c compressor failed - a very big deal in Southern Arizona. My mechanic learned it was defective & Mazda acknowledged it and paid for a new one, which was appreciated. Then my brake discs rusted - my mechanic explained this shouldn't happen in a 5 year old car. So-o-o-o-o, I guess this explains why this car was such a good buy! It's given me pause about the Mazda brand & next time I may go back to my tried & true Honda, Nissan, or Toyota.

Suggested Improvements

Defective AC compressors, poor quality brake discs.

Zoom - Zoom - Squeak
By lazlo67

2007 Mazda 5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Very fun to drive on long, windy roads. Very easy to get kids in and out of. Good fuel economy. Poor quality radio, almost no bass. Also, when you eject a CD, you have to hit insert to get another one in. On my Ford Focus, it prompts you insert another - one less button to push when you are driving. After we got it, we had problems with the rear sliding doors. Wator vapor got into the locks and froze, making it impossible to shut them, they would hit the latch and bounce back. Mazda replaced under warranty. Brakes sounds like a freight train when you back out of the driveway in the morning - very loud and annoying!! I do not think I would purchase a Mazda again. Just not too impressed.

Favorite Features

Navigation system.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes!!

Great car (ok, minivan) for the money
By Not your average mom

2007 Mazda 5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I swore I'd never drive a minivan but here I am doing so and actually enjoying it. It is versatile and very easy for the kids to get into and out of by themselves. It gets good gas mileage even in the cold winter months. I have never gotten below 22 mpg on a tank of gas. I love the fact that it is getting more popular and that when I first got it, people were asking me what it was. I love all the spaces to hide things in. I've been accused of having everything but a toilet and sink in it but you won't see any of it. If you live in a really snowy/icy climate you will want to get snow tires. Stock tires perform as expected on the snow but are next to useless on ice.

Favorite Features

Versatility, gas mileage and all the little spaces to hide things.

Suggested Improvements

Paint (it stains and scratches very easily), more peppy engine, improve the reception on the radio, tinted rear windows, AWD option, Xenons option, remote opening of sliding doors (although the existing doors are easy to open) option.

Sport Utility Wagon
By HotRodSaint

2007 Mazda 5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted a vehicle that was fun to drive and was flexible in its cargo carrying capacity. The manual transmission Mazda5 fit this bill perfectly.

Favorite Features

The 17" wheels with an available manual transmission caught my eye. But it's the versitility that is most appreciated.

Suggested Improvements

More horsepower. But the manual transmission makes it feel quick and sporty.