Used 2007 Mazda 5 Sport Consumer Reviews - 16 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Mazda 5 - Consumer Reviews

2007 Mazda 5

View reviews for a specific 5 model:

I call it my Princess and Pea car.
By Heather D.

2007 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

The Mazda5 wears low profile tires. When I bought my car I was naive and thought I could just change them out for full size tires. Nope. That’s how the car is built. Because of the low to ground factor it scrapes on things normal cars would just roll over. I once got completely stuck in a tiny bit of mud and had to be pulled out. It was quite embarrassing. This also means it handles poorly in snow. Maybe different tires would make this a bit better.

The cabin is noisy. It quite literally sounds like there’s nothing between you and the engine. This is perhaps one of my biggest pet peeves about the car.

There is a third row. So the Mazda5 does technically seat 6. However, the third row will not comfortably fit any one over five feet tall or with average length legs. The air conditioning and heat take awhile to reach all the way back there. So it’s really not ideal for full time usage. Also, when you have the third row up your trunk area is almost nil. So imagine trying to fit a family of six and Christmas presents from three sets of people in there? Yeah, it’s not pleasant.

The gas mileage on the Mazda5 is decent for the size of it. It doesn’t have a large tank, so that’s unfortunate. I don’t have specific numbers but currently it’s around $35.00 to fill from around ¼ tank. My daughter was driving about half an hour one way to work, three days a week and one hour once a week to dance class and this took most of the tank.

The Mazda5 uses the computerized key fob with the jack knife style key. These cost roughly $300 to replace. My car only came with one. So I always freak out about people losing or breaking the key. I like the jack knife style, but I don’t like the price tag on the computer fob.

So, you may be asking what do I like? I don’t actually hate everything about this car. I like the side sliding doors, those are nice. My particular Mazda5 came with a DVD player and wireless headphones, so that is great for trips. It also has a six CD changer, which I personally appreciate very very much. I like the seat adjustments, the lumbar support is probably my favorite.

There are lots of cup holders, if you’ve ever had a car where there wasn’t enough you can understand why this makes me happy. There’s one for each seat, one in each front door and an extra one in the middle of the 2nd row. SO MANY CUPS!!

So there’s my short and to the point review. Don’t buy the Mazda5 if you need all six seats every day. Don’t buy a Mazda5 if you like to drive through mud. Do buy it if you value cup holders!

Not necessarily the car's fault
By Alecia Taylor

2007 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my '07 Mazda 5 six months ago (winter of 2014). I thought I would love it because it's similar to my Honda fit, but offered the extra seating since I now have 3 children. If you have more than two kids the 3rd row always has to be up eliminating every bit of your storage. You can't even fit groceries back there. My Mazda only had one owner before me and has 55k miles, but the struts are already worn. It's also pretty slow. No more quick thinking lane changes in traffic. This car won't make it.

All that said, it's not a bad car. It's just not what I thought I needed.

In a class by itself
By jeff527

2007 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great vehicle—you just have to know what to compare it to! It's not an Odyssey / Caravan / Sienna competitor. Yes, it has a third row but the Mazda5 is a much smaller vehicle. We stepped up from a Mazda3 after we had our second child. I found we didn't need all the space of a full size minivan so our Mazda5, with a manual transmission to boot, is a great compromise between a 5 seat hatchback and a full size minivan.

We've put 15,000 miles on it so far and have not it in the shop once for a mechanical failure. If you think it looks like a space ship you'll probably get used to that after a while. Tinting the windows all around also helps.

Manual transmission, car-like handling, fuel economy, unique look, reliability

Slightly more power (buying a '12 would cure this), passenger side armrest (buy a '08 for this), heated seats in the Sport model, rear backup camera option

never again Mazda
By mzdahtr

2007 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Poor, Poor Mazda. I suggest you Zoom,Zoom past this vehicle. Suspension is terrible, kills tires with no fix that you can afford to do. Plan on tire replacement every 18mo no matter the miles driven, Tire mfrs will not honor their guarantee on this vehicle. A/C quit can't figure it out i was told it was within the computer. Turn the wheel and you can hear popcorn popping. Terrible. This car is a Ford underneath.
I guess it is a good thing Mazda is moving to Mexico. I wonder why Ford kicked them out of their facillities? Good Move.

Six passenger seating

Scrap it and start over.

Get a Honda instead
By sofienyc

2007 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Please look elsewhere for a family van. You will encounter cheap materials, uncomfortable seating and a noisy rear suspension with no fix from Mazda. It does get good gas mileage but besides that it is only good for short trips to the store under 30 minutes or so, otherwise it is not a car you would want to take on a long trip. It does hold a lot of stuff but the noises it makes will think you bought a used Yugo! Stay away from it

Buy something else