Used 2007 Mazda 5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Mazda 5

View reviews for a specific 5 model:

150,000 KM's later...
By shawn303

2007 Mazda 5 Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Bought the car new in December 2006 and have put 150K on it. Good - reliable engine and tranny. - OK if you have 2 children - good on fuel - pulled an 8 foot tent trailer with it all the way to the east coast - no leaks Bad - front suspension components give up very fast - wheel bearings give up really fast - tires do not last long at all - low clearance so if there's snow or raod kill, you'll hit it and cause damage - exhaust system is rotted out and needs replacing - rust under wheel wells - stiff ride - no arm rest for co-pilot in front seat?

Favorite Features

Decent stereo fold down seats

Suggested Improvements

Don't think I'd recommend this car as the maintenance and the rust have really turned me off. As I said, the front bushings, sway bars, ball joints, wheel bearings, all give up very quickly, it's an expensive car to own. Be aware.

The worst car I ever owned, and I owned a '78 Pinto!
By workingmom40

2007 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

This car is the absolute worst, and it is my mission to inform other buyers. When you read the reviews of this car, see how people are happy at first, but quickly the reviews go downhill. My transmission went out at 86,000 miles. Complete rebuild, I kid you not. I have also had to replace the brakes twice before reaching 80,000. And these are the pricy "performace" breaks. Shocks done twice & struts done once at 60,000. Two sets of those crappy "performance" tires. Numerous mfr. warranty repairs due to faulty engine components, and the body is plastic and literally falls off on the freeway! Used the extended warranty so much the company investigated the dealer for possible fraud!

Favorite Features

Hmm, I cannot decide if I like the exterior breaking apart on the road or the 86,000 mile transmission rebuild better (enter sarcasm here.) Hmmm, maybe it's the breaks that always squeak in any weather and need replacing every two years. Possible the way I have to re-route my driving in winter to avoid any hills at all, and I live in Iowa! Oh, wait, I know, the uncomfortably, ridiculously loud ride! Definitely!

Suggested Improvements

Scrap the whole thing before Mazda has a class action lawsuit for violating lemon laws. This is not an exaggeration. This car is so poorly made they should be ashamed of themselves.

MAZDA DISAPPOINTS.
By albert36

2007 Mazda 5 Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

The automatic transmission in our late model Mazda 5 failed at 74,000 km. Needless to say we were both surprised and disappointed to have the transmission fail so pre-maturely. Mazda dealerships claimed it was out of their hands and directed us to Mazda Canada. Mazda’s Head Office in turn said even though the mileage was within warranty, the expiry date had recently passed, therefore no remedy or compensation would be forthcoming. No, not even goodwill. Mazda Canada was unwilling to acknowledge that if a vehicle fails at 74,000 km, it's not unreasonable to consider the cause might be a manufacturing defect in that vehicle. How many cars would any auto manufacturer sell if their transmissions have such a short life expectancy? There were various reasons given for lack of help including no service records in the Mazda database, despite our submission of service records. It seems that the service work of licensed mechanics in Canada is not good enough for Mazda. Apparently they need to be employed by Mazda authorized -dealers. As new transmissions are not available from Mazda, the dealerships offer rebuilt transmissions for $2,900.00 with a one year warranty, no extended warranty available. A nationwide transmission company has quoted $2,000 for the same work and will extend the warranty to three years for about $400 more. Despite not employing the service of Mazda mechanics, the national transmission chain is confident enough in their workmanship to offer a non-prorated warranty that’s 3 times longer than Mazda ‘s! We went back to Mazda Canada, requested that they make up the $800 difference and have the work done at one of their dealerships. We believe our request for some compensation was fair and reasonable. The answer back from Mazda was no. We’ve been told that auto manufacturers are only interested in selling new cars. Fair enough. If Mazda had even offered a $1,000 or so rebate on a future purchase of a Mazda vehicle, that would have been acceptable. That purchase of a future Mazda would still net Mazda a profit even after the rebate was applied, the company would retain the loyalty of a Mazda driver while we would have the comfort of knowing that we are dealing with a manufacturer that stands behind their products and values us as long term customers. As it turns they now have a Mazda family that does not have a good story to tell and will likely never purchase a Mazda again.

In a class by itself
By jeff527

2007 Mazda 5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great vehicle—you just have to know what to compare it to! It's not an Odyssey / Caravan / Sienna competitor. Yes, it has a third row but the Mazda5 is a much smaller vehicle. We stepped up from a Mazda3 after we had our second child. I found we didn't need all the space of a full size minivan so our Mazda5, with a manual transmission to boot, is a great compromise between a 5 seat hatchback and a full size minivan. We've put 15,000 miles on it so far and have not it in the shop once for a mechanical failure. If you think it looks like a space ship you'll probably get used to that after a while. Tinting the windows all around also helps.

Favorite Features

Manual transmission, car-like handling, fuel economy, unique look, reliability

Suggested Improvements

Slightly more power (buying a '12 would cure this), passenger side armrest (buy a '08 for this), heated seats in the Sport model, rear backup camera option

Very Utilitarian, But Loud Tire eater
By ronwho

2007 Mazda 5 Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

We bought our 5 new. 4 years 66K later, wife has a love-hate relationship. It is very utilitarian and it has been very reliable. We've only had to replace a broken strut. (Free with our MEPP extended warranty) It gets decent mileage- about 23-24 mpg. However, we have to replace tires every 18 to 20K. Low profile tires pop when you hit a big pothole (unavoidable in OK) with one bent wheel so far. Interior road noise is so loud that we have to yell to the back seat. I mean REALLY loud. The AC loses some cool when you accelerate hard and my wife will only run it on recirculate to get cold- but it does get cold. We are buying a CX-9 and giving 5 to teenager. Will see if 9 is better quality.

Favorite Features

Seats 6, Decent MPG, back seats fold down easily, with 4years/66K reliability has been good so far.

Suggested Improvements

ROAD NOISE, stronger wheels and less tire issues (I assume it is a suspension camber issue)